Clear all

Guitar Teacher Pulled off YouTube

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is old, but I thought interesting enough to post.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11778602

I've used the "Hello Good People" videos. Pretty good stuff.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Justin Sandercoe is still on youtube, they just wanted the copyrighted songs that he was teaching removed, although there are still many other instructors on there that are playing copyrighted material...

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Just ridiculous.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hey Dali, I remember when that happened. I could not believe it. I agree. David's lesson's are very good. I've used that site several times.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I wonder if he was using Authentic Guitar Tab books to teach the songs, maybe that's a reason? I dunno, hes a pretty good teacher.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

And now it is the turn of MarloweDK (Thomas Risell), a bass guitar teacher: http://playbassnow.com/

I used to watch his videos, very informative. He had some videos with exercises and comments on gear, technique, etc. and he also had some 'play-alongs' videos in which he played the song over the recording. It seems these play-alongs videos were the problem.

Anyway, I don't know, I don't understand anything. You can rip a CD or DVD and upload that original material and YouTube (or Google) doesn't cancel that accounts (I practically watched the entire Clapton's Crossroads 2007 and Queen's Wembley concerts before I bought them; yesterday I was searching for a song by The Beatles and I found a video with the soundtrack, etc.).

And they do it with somebody that is explaining how to play a song... Very interesting Google! :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

YouTube is working on a program that could scan the contents of an MP3 and compare that with a database of copyrighted material. It would compare actual audio data and not just the name or duration and such. I'm pretty sure that the minute it's done it'll be put in place and 99% of copyrighted material will vanish. YouTube has no choice, if they don't 'fix' this they might be held responsible so they've chosen to work with labels and such. ATM things only dissapear once the owner complains and it depends very much on the label. The brother of a good friend of mine is signed to Sony-BMG and got in trouble for uploading cellphone-made vids of himself playing his own songs live on youtube. Some people just don't get it at all I guess... :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Here in Britain, there's very little left on youtube to watch - seems there's been some argument between the site owners and the Performing Rights Society (or whoever administrates these things...)

Virtually every video I've ever watched - or bookmarked - is no longer available. I wonder if this is the start of another Napster-style clampdown?

Oh well - guess I'll have to dig out my old VHS tapes if I want to watch any music.

:( :( :(

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Yep, pretty soon there'll be no reason to go to Youtube anymore. :(

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Virtually every video I've ever watched - or bookmarked - is no longer available.

I've given up on bookmarking things on YouTube, or similar sites.
If I find something that I would normally bookmark, I just save the video (using this Firefox plugin) and watch it at my leisure.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Here it's an article that explains some issues...

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=14934160

ReplyQuote