(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think this is brilliant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3iryBLZCOQ

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I think we're in a mess of trouble when scientists begin to rap. aren't their brains too big for that.?

oh oh, I think a black hole is opening next to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I was just playing that vid for my son today when he asked if we could search online for stuff about the collider.
pretty kewl imo

some ot funnay

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

OK. I like a rap song now. :shock:
That was so cool! Looked like they had lots of fun making that. Ya know, I was somewhat with them up until they started singing about other dimensions. Then my brain went bye bye.

Hey TL...I LOVE xkcd cartoons. I don't understand some of them, but I still love em!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is the latest in a long tradition. Back when they had an American Museum of Science and Technology at the Smithsonian Institution, in the exhibit of cyclotrons and similar nuclear physics paraphernalia in the basement, they had a tape loop playing "The Cyclotronists' Nightmare, or Eighty Millicuries By Half Past Nine." I can't find a sound file (though I can more or less sing it 26 years since I last heard it), but here are the lyrics:
http://www.haverford.edu/physics/songs/roberts/cyclo.htm

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

OK. I like a rap song now. :shock:
That was so cool! Looked like they had lots of fun making that.

Looks like grad students. They are a crazy kind of people - particularly the physics ones.

Ya know, I was somewhat with them up until they started singing about other dimensions. Then my brain went bye bye.

The current favourite model for the unification of the forces is called string theory and it requires that the universe be more than the four dimensions (3 spatial and 1 time) that most people think the universe is made up of. These extra dimensions are not experienced at human scale since, as the video says, they can be small or curled up so that we can't interact with them. There are many behaviours that change with the scale of things and are not the same as our common sense understanding that we get from life at our scale. These behaviours are none the less real - e.g. quantum tunneling of electrons (electrons going through "solid" matter and appearing where classical physics says that they can't). This new theory has been brewing for maybe the last 30 or so years.

One of the hopes with the LHC is that it will give some insight into the veracity of string theory. String theory has the potential to change our world to the same or perhaps a greater extent than quantum mechanics already has and that's responsible for almost all of modern electronics and everything derived from that. Of course that will take decades just like it did with QM.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

The current favourite model for the unification of the forces is called string theory and it requires that the universe be more than the four dimensions (3 spatial and 1 time) snipage....

:lol: Dude. I got this far into your reply..."The current favourite model for the unification of the forces is called string theory and it requires that the universe be more than the four dimensions (3 spatial and 1 time)." Then, as I read, all I heard in my brain was the theme music from SpoungeBob Squarepants. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just joking. Great post. I've always found that stuff so Intriguing. But it is so far over my head!!! :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote