Hair - long or short for an old rocker?

78 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
10.5 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The Mrs is having a go at me to get the locks trimmed again, hell it's only been a year - nearly - since the last trim.....

She wants me to have it cut short..sort of crew-cut length...to which I replied....well forget it, ain't going to pass the censor anyway.....

The Mrs, the Daughter, her kids and my kids are all in agreement...they all think I need a haircut...my answer is along the lines of "Eff Off"...it's my head and I'll decide what gets done to it...

Here's a pic taken in June....

It's got longer, thicker and bushier since then.....

When I was a teenager, my heroes were Ian Hunter, Marc Bolan and Dylan...all of them had long curly hair, lord, the fights I had with te parents......I wasn't a rebel as such, I just wanted to grow long hair....I was a good kid at school, sailed through exams....

Now it seems everybody's onmy case again, get that hair cut....

Short hair just isn't me....it doesn't suit me, and long hair hides my ugly face....

Please, someone, come to my rescue and come out in favour of long hair....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm starting to get long hair, but I'm a student and refuse to spend money on a haircut on general principle. In any case, if you don't want nobody to cut your hair nobody should cut your hair. It's your hair so you're the boss. :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Cool - Arjen's on my side on this one, that's worth two votes....he's in the top 10 of the memberlist....

Cheers mate!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Get it cut to about the length you have in that pic there. Sorry mate but you'd look right silly with a short or crew cut. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Your not a crew cut person. Let it grow just don't trip over it. If you do then it is time to cut it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Ok Vic,

I shave my head, but I don't quite see you with the shaved/crew cut look! :shock: I'm with Twisted, keep it about the length you had it in the pic. Don't give in to the man! :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Let it grow Vic.

:) :D :twisted:

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Well, somebody has to say.... Cut it! :twisted:

Most of the old rockers got a hair cut eventually and it didn't kill them. Look at Freddie Mercury. he had enough hair to stuff several mattresses, but he still looked pretty cool when he shaved it off.

It's worth a try. It'll always grow back again, and you might like it.

Make a big deal about it. Cut it off for charity. Get all the punters at your pub to sponsor you to cut it off. Flog tickets (or whatever) for a couple of weeks and have it professionally barbered live on stage! You'll feel good about it and do some good. And you'll have an excuse for short hair for the next few months.

I had long hair for years. Right down my back and held in a ponytail with a silver clip. Now, it's short. When it gets to the Beethoven stage my wife cuts it back again. Haven't done the full shave yet, but one day.... what the heck...

Long hair looks great when you're young. But when it gets greyer and thinner it usually doesn't look quite as good...

It's your head though..... :D

Cheers, Chris.

PS. You've actually got a great face, so I think you could be surprised at how many other hair styles would suit you. My brother in law shaved his long hair off recently (radiotherapy for cancer, rather than choice) and he looks fine. Doesn't have nearly as good a kit of chops as you either. Went around in hats for a day or two, but soon got into the new look. :)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Vic, I voted before I read your post, I'm an idiot. I thought you meant in general. Like, I'm glad Daltrey cut his hair. So um. Take my vote off the cut it list.

Can we get a picture of you with short hair? Does such an item exist?

Either way, it's your hair, do what you want with it sir. Put me down for no-cut.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

why would anyone give a crap about how long your hair is? get a mohawk. dye it lime green.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I think you'd look fine w/short hair. Anyway long hair is an attitude not a look. It won't turn you into a suit or anything like that.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hmm , I had long hair , but due to the family (mother , sister , father and grandfather too ) i got them cut (i am 18 only if you know)

So vic , i guess you have to give in to the family pressures (or maybe they will kick you out with your guitars :lol: )

And oh yea , i am sure you will look good having a little short but styled hair 8)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Chris - if you're going to do it, do it for charity - BUT every one of your "aggressors" has to be in for at least 20 quid a head! Let 'em put their money where their mouth is (stupid sentence, that, half singular, half plural - but that's English for you).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I had hair once :cry:
If you feel you can do without, cut it.
personally i say i looked better when i had it :wink:
my wife likes my "shaved" head and it has advantages.

"Hair"

She asks me why...I'm just a hairy guy
I'm hairy noon and night; Hair that's a fright.
I'm hairy high and low,
Don't ask me why; don't know!
It's not for lack of bread
Like the Grateful Dead; darling

Gimme a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair!
Shoulder length, longer (hair!)
Here baby, there mama, Everywhere daddy daddy

CHORUS:
Hair! (hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair)
Flow it, Show it;
Long as God can grow it, My Hair!

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for bees
A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my

CHORUS

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy, shining
Gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted; Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled and spaghettied!

O-oh, Say can you see; my eyes if you can,
Then my hair's too short!
Down to here, down to there,
Down to where, down to there;
It stops by itself!
doo doo doo doo doot-doot doo doo doot

They'll be ga-ga at the go-go
when they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond, brilliantined, Biblical hair
My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son