Clear all

Hardest thing about starting a Band..

54 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

You have to be somewhat flexible in what you are willing to play or you might not end up with anyone. I know cuz I've done that/been there. Currently with the group I play with I like maybe one song that we play..not that any of them are bad per se they are just not my cup of tea. It took me awhile to realize that every time we got together and tried to decide on what to play next it was a nightmare so I stopped putting my two cents in and just go along for the ride. I figre I can use all the practice I can get so learning new songs whatever they are can't hurt.

But a some point I have to say enough is enough. Our bass player who I've knowwn for years and played sports with for years has a whole different taste in music than I do so if he starts adding more than a coupel of his songs I have to say enough already. but we got a new drummer who's into more high energy rock early metal which is a good change of pace so I'm enjoying playing Judas Priest songs who I NEVER liked.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Maybe this is another thread but I think the set would be one of the hardest things to agree upon, therefore largely contribute to bands breaking up. The fact is, and others like Wes have spoke to this, is that for a cover band to be successful, you have to put together a set list that contains songs the AUDIENCE wants to hear. If I go and see a band that played a bunch of my favorite tunes, I'm gonna like that band. That may be kind of a "duh" statement. But I can't tell you how many fights I had (when I was in a band) over playing songs that nobody wanted to hear.

Sure, it would be really great if I was in a band that opened up with Porcupine Tree then went into Dream Theater. From there we'd do a few songs from bands the crowd has never heard of, but I SURE LIKE EM! But that would lead to a quick demise for sure.

So the balance becomes this. Find songs that the band would enjoy playing and would appeal to the larger opinion. Not easy man. Lot's of give and take by the band members for sure.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

hey - congrats on 1000 (and 1) blueline!

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Thanks Lars!!! :D :note2:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Blu,

Exactly and that's what I've been trying to tell the guys I play with. We have hpoes of someday playing out and I try and tell these guys we need to play songs the audience wants to hear not necessarily what we like, but that hasn't always gone over well. So my new tactic is if I think a song isn't going to go over well I'll just say I absolutetly hate it and won't play it find another. that hasn't happened to many times though. But when I do tell these guys there answer has always been I want to play the music I like...then I say don't plan on playing to many places more than once.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

cnev, what's your set-list looking like these days?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, you gotta be sensitive to your audience. If you want to be an "artist", you know... those stuck up prima donnas that everybody hates, yeah, then you can go out there and play what you like. And if you are truly great, it might work.

But if you want to play clubs you've got to play the music the clubs want. There is a Country-music club not too far from me, I think if you went in there and tried to play the Sex Pistols you would literally get killed. That's the way it is. Remember, the customer is always right. They are spending their money, so you gotta give them the music they want.

It is the same everywhere. I have been watching Nashville Star for weeks now. Really great show. I remember one contestant came out and sang I Think We're Alone Now, that old teenie-bopper pop hit. Man, did one of the judges give it to her. He reminded her this was a contest to become a Country star. He told her flat out he HATED that song, and that picking it for the contest was about the most stupid thing she could have done. And sure enough, she was voted off the next week.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

But if you want to play clubs you've got to play the music the clubs want. There is a Country-music club not too far from me, I think if you went in there and tried to play the Sex Pistols you would literally get killed. That's the way it is. Remember, the customer is always right. They are spending their money, so you gotta give them the music they want.

+1

You've got to consider the customer. If I hired a taxi driver to take me to the airport I'd be pretty pissed off if he said "Nah, the train's cheaper" and then dropped me at the train station instead... :shock: Once you play in public, or even just play with others, you have to start acting and thinking in a more professional manner, and that means considering your audience and your bandmates. Or, unless you are dazzling good, it's back to the bedroom and the audience of one... :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy,

I tried writing the set list three times now but it timed out. I've been at work since 7:30 this AM and it's almost midnight loading data into the monster called SAP. I'll try and post it when I have a few brains cells reactivated.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi Cnev, sorry to cause probs. I am just being curious and interested. I know it's taken on many forms and changes. Good luck with the data-loads too, btw. Always an anxious "day".

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thunderfingers and I are working towards playing out. Our set list consists of songs we like, but more importantly songs that classic rock radio stations play on a daily basis. I won't do country, rap or whatever ..... we will bill ourselves as classic rock, but that means all classic rock, not just the songs we like. I understand you have to please your audience. You know what though, the songs we don't so much care for, we play in our style and make them our own. Aint nothing wrong with that is there?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy,

No probs at all man, I was trying to post but kept getting pulled away and my sessions were timing out, anyway here's the ones I remember:

Birthday'
Come Together
Beer Drinkers/Hell raisers
Purple Haze
Badge
White Room
Sunshine of your love
Hashpipe
You got another thing comin
Hot Rockin
Electric Eye ( just started)
Livin after midnight
Mississippi Queen
4 Day Creep
Blue on Black
Black Magic Woman
We were doing Tighten Up but haven't done that in awhile
I know I'm missing 5-6 songs I can't think of at the moment

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I had to look up a few of those songs. I've heard them all before, but couldn't think of them by name. :oops:

Looks like a 70's metal show. Not my fav, but fun still. Beats the same boring set standards that you see every-single-time you see a cover band. I'm not much on the over-played stuff.

What's some of the stuff you'd rather be playing? I think my son and his g-friend is into what you're into. I don't know much about it other than I can find some if I get my tetnas shots and go into his room. I did figure out how to play some of the things he likes, I just can't right now because of an ear issue. I know I remember getting an evil or mean streak going when I played it though. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Until it's fixed, show me the camp-fire. :lol:

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy,

To be honest soemtimes I don't know myself what I want to play. I know it sounds weird but personally I've found that songs that I might love to listen to bore me to play and songs that I never liked are some of the most fun to play.

I was never ever a Judas Priest fan but for some reason I enjoy playing their songs..the same thing I noticed about AC/DC after I learned a few of theirs. It's the energy in those songs..I think that's why I might enjoy playing some punk it's that the music has energy. It bores me to death to stand there strumming a couple few open chords I might as well watch paint dry.

But I'm not a nostalgic person and I don't want to play just classic rock. There's some newer stuff I'd like to play like Foo Fighters etc. Tried getting the guys to learn Everlong but it didn't go over well ..I think they thought it was too hard or something.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

But I'm not a nostalgic person and I don't want to play just classic rock. There's some newer stuff I'd like to play like Foo Fighters etc. Tried getting the guys to learn Everlong but it didn't go over well ..I think they thought it was too hard or something.

Chris, I go through this all the time, both my last group and my new group. I don't get it, but many musicians psyche themselves out before even attempting a song. They'll say stuff like, "do you know how much percussion is on that song?", or "we can't do that, there's five guitars on that song!", or, "there's a horn in that song!" . To which I reply, "well, what do you think they do when they play it live?"

I don't know if they are intimidated by new songs, or just lazy. Either way, I will make a songsheet for each player showing the chords and lyrics. And then I'll usually say something like, "C'mon guys, humor me for one minute and please just try to play the song one time."

If you can get them to try it one time you usually got them. More often than not, the song comes out great and they are thrilled. All of the objections disappear. I have introduced dozens of songs to my band this way. :D

But you've got to write that songsheet out well so that it is very simple and easy to follow.

And if anybody in the band complains that you are picking all the songs, remind them you are the only one actually printing out songsheets, burning CDs of the songs for each player.... Hey, if they want to introduce some songs, tell them to get off their lazy duff. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4