Clear all

Has anybody else heard about this?

186 Posts
57 Users
0 Likes
84.9 K Views
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

NoteBoat, you always have interesting and intelligent comments! ;)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@rwolfe12)

I believe that if somebody is using the works of another artist to earn a living then they should provide some fair and reasonable compensation, but I also believe that if somebody is sitting in their living room listening to a song and they figure out how to play it for their own enjoyment, then that is their right.

I rather suspect that 99% of the people getting tabs here are doing so for their personal enjoyment. I'll never make any money playing the songs I've downloaded tab for. It's about the talent, not just the notes and words. I rather doubt anybody who earns a living as a cover band uses this stuff. And if they do, then they are building a revenue stream for the recording industry, not siphoning from it. If these bands were selling recordings of their covers that's a different story, but that's easily tracked.

There is a finite number of sequences of chords and notes (that sound pleasing in the form of western music) and one could easily build a mathematical model that proves that there are already far more songs and melodies written than could possibly be entirely unique. There will be an intro, a bridge, a riff, an outro or something that has been used before. Ask Red Hot Chili Peppers. Dani California is about as far from Tom Petty as one can get and look at the stink that created. Gee maybe the reason it really doesn't sound like it is because of bad tab stolen from one of the online archives? Yeah, right.

Cover Bands, now there is a good one, with some room for argument about the financials but not about the intent. I have seen a group from the bay area called Heartbreaker. They are an awesone Led Zeppelin tribute, and The Austrailian Pink Floyd show has actually had member of Floyd jam with them. These bands don't sell recorded content because they don't record, but you can bet your bottom dollar they've generated some sales. I never actually was that much of a Zeppelin fan until I bought my first guitar and then saw Heartbreaker.

So, record exec fat cats, tell me this... where did the 12 bar blues originate and have the lot of you been making royalty payments to that person over the past 100 years that you've been blatantly publishing his or her works? What about the 1/4/5 chord progression? Surely we can trace that to its inventor so you can pay up? Maybe the minor pentatonic scale? Do you send a check to Link Wray's estate every time you make a fistful of money off the latest band to laydown a dozen tracks of distorted power chords? It is the nature of greed to allow the mind to begin to actually develop a sense of entitlement and ownership when the reality is that all these people have invented is a tool to market shiny round metal objects containing the work of other people. And that work was based on the work of many, many other artists who came before them if we are paying the most recent artist to use these techniques then I expect to see evidence that the industry is playing by its own rules.

Ya think "Have a Cigar" was purely fiction? :wink:

And to those recording industry execs who think that sharing song lyrics is a form of theft I will simply say " 'scuse me, while I kiss this guy." 8)

Cheers and Rock On!
Ron

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Legally, TABs figured out by ear are public property. They can't touch it.

They might have a case against stuff like PowerTab, maybe. But you figure it out by ear and it's yours.

( :lol: A friend of mine is a lawyer.)

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Legally, TABs figured out by ear are public property.

I am sure you mean public ear...

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

could be both. I remember the fish slapping dance on Monty Python.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

could be both. I remember the fish slapping dance on Monty Python.

So they slapped fish on Monty Python ? :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 13