Has anyone else ever heard of "Queen"?

18 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Very good band......... their guitarist is a little bit of a genius :lol:

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@alangreen)

Pity their singer died in 1991, they could really have been something :lol:

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Lol they had a good 18 years though :)

The whole thing though....... obviously I was joking but I love Queen and my love of them has increased this year...

Why?

I got some of their albums and they are not the kind of band who just writes a whole album full of hits - they really explore and when I heard "Good company" and Brian May's "Dixie Land brass" guitar solo - I was blown away even more by just how clever (and most likely hard working) he is as a guitarist. Everyone in the band on a queen album gets a chance to write (and probably was offered the chance to sing too) so it really is a band effort - not just once man's vision.

As it stands they are probably the most amazing band ever to me right now, though I only have their 70s records so far.

Oh and I don't count it as Queen without Freddie..............

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Flasback to 1973.......stayed on at school after O-Levels, and into the sixth form. Great thing about the 6th form....we had a common room, complete with record player. That common room was where I first heard albums like Led Zep 4, Machine Head, Ziggy Stardust, Disraeli Gears, Transformer, Tons of Sobs, Blonde On Blonde and Imagine, to name but a few.....

One day, somebody brought in an album by a new band called Queen and put it on. Side one, track one - Keep Yourself Alive. Got my attention from the opening bars, I was totally hooked! Been a fan ever since!

Freddie was one of the greatest entertainers ever, full stop. Great voice, great stage personality, great songwriter - for me, he totally stole the show at the Live Aid concert. To quote Bob Geldof: "Queen were absolutely the best band of the day... they just went and smashed one hit after another... it was the perfect stage for Freddie: the whole world." Brian May? Up there with the all-time greats, for me. Totally unique sound from a unique guitar. Roger and John - well, to be honest, I never noticed them much, but hell, they were a great engine room - and also gifted songwriters.

Favourites? Brighton Rock and 7 Seas of Rhye from the early days....Don't Stop Me Now and Crazy Little Thing Called Love (the only Queen song I can actually play!) from the middle years and Innuendo and The Miracle from the later years.

For me, they were the most complete all-round band since the Beatles; everybody sang, played numerous instruments, they covered virtually every genre of music - from rock to opera to ragtime to disco! - and were absolutely brilliant live.

One of the greatest bands, ever.....had to believe it's over twenty years since we lost Freddie, isn't it?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wonderful words Vic, thanks :)

I wonder how many people out there though are like I was with queen til this year - only ever heard the hits and never heard how complete they are as a studio albums band. Brighton Rock yes is incredible and keep yourself alive is probably one of the coolest album openers of all time. The reason I started buying them was because they were on a "2 for £10" offer in our record store in town but now that offer seems to have vanish and I still want to get them all over time :/ just might cost me a little more.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

fleeeea, just curious - what did you think of the Queen/Paul Rodgers collaboration? I'd be interested to know what Alan Green thinks, too...as much as I loved Queen, and as much as I loved Free - the first rock band I ever truly loved - I just don't think they gelled together, unfortunately. Only my opinion, of course....YMMV.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think the problem with anyone singing with Queen is that Freddie was so talented and unique that there is no substitute. There was a lot of talent in that band.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Vic......... I hate to do this - but I'm going to quote myself from the beginning of this thread :lol:

"Oh and I don't count it as Queen without Freddie.............."

It's just too problematic on so many levels for them to add anyone at all and try and continue Queen in any shape, way or form. I heard they are adding Adam Lambert now......

God help us all........... might as well be pissing on Freddie's grave......

Yeah, so that's what I think! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'd be interested to know what Alan Green thinks, too...as much as I loved Queen, and as much as I loved Free - the first rock band I ever truly loved - I just don't think they gelled together, unfortunately. Only my opinion, of course....YMMV.

I think this is not just a Queen thing; Guns 'n' Roses without Slash is a poor imitation of the real thing. Likewise Led Zep without John Bonham, The Who without Keith Moon. Free without Kossof. What sets Queen above all of them is that Freddie was the ultimate showman.

I didn't buy the Queen/ Paul Rogers material, but I did watch some of the video footage and there was a very ordinary single which got some airplay, and although there was some excellent Queen and Free material in the concerts, they struck me as just another ordinary rock band. "We Will rock You" is a stonkingly successful musical, and Brian May has done a couple of decent albums since Queen, and I think they should just let the legacy carry on as it's quite capable of doing. I think the Queen/ Paul Rogers collaboration was not the best thing that could have happened, and I think the Queen with Adam Lambert set this year at Sonisphere is very poorly advised. Nobody will ever be able to do Bo Rap in quite the same way; the surviving members of Queen should move on.

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Maybe they should just get on with it and find the best Freddie Mercury imitator in the country and go on tour with him. This whole counterfeit band stuff is pathetic. Yeah I know what they are trying to do - I know they have to eat (ha ha, funny) but seriously can't we let Freddie rest in peace? It's never ever going to be Queen without him and those people who saw Queen between 1973 - 1991 are the ones who truly saw them and are the lucky ones.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yes Queen rocks!! Sometime in the early 70's maybe 74 Queen played a show here in CT in a small venue that maybe holds 3000 people tops. I remember I was in the balcony section front row. Probably one of if not the best concerts I ever saw.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ibanezeithinkso)

for a second after reading the title to your post i believed it and was like " how do you not know who queen is? " lol ( no offense intended haha.). and definatly r.i.p. freddy murcury. he may have been super gay but he was super awesome at the same time. bohemian rhapsody anyone?

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I just downloaded the multitrack stems for Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. 24 individual tracks and it's still not each individual voice. They had to share most of the tracks so there will be guitar in one part, but the rest of the track will be vocals. Purely amazing.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Roger Taylor says that by the time they'd finished recording Bo Rap the tape had been re-recorded so much it was almost transparent and they weren't sure they were going to be able to do anything with it, let alone get it duplicated and onto a pressed album.

When you consider what we can do now with a modest PC and some inexpensive kit, you tend to forget that back in 1975 everything was done with a few mics and reel-to-reel magnetic tape. It's gobsmacking just how much incredible stuff was done in those days with what we'd now describe as caveman tools.

ReplyQuote
(@ibanezeithinkso)

aint it the truth? and wow, thats something i didnt know about that song but a cool bit of info. you learn something new every day and in this case it pertains to one of the greatest rock bands ever. thank you sir for making my day

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2