Skip to content
Have you ever been ...

Notifications
Clear all

Have you ever been openly insulted about your playing?

36 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@cd-60-blk)
Eminent Member

Not yet but if I cared about what other people thought I wouldn't have even bought the guitar. I'm probably the biggest beginner here so I know I suck. I don't know if he was trying to be funny or if he's just ignorant, either way its not really any of his concern and you shouldn't be bothered buy it. Keep on keepin on man, Cheers'

Where do you get your energies? Well its a vicious circle thing, If I hadn't ever played an instrument then I wouldn't ever need to play one. But now that I've been playing, I need to play. - Eric Clapton 1967 RollingStone interview

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Other than my wife or YouTube no, I haven't....yet.

My wife will say something like....you play the guitar okay, but you can't sing to save your life (which I think I play a bit better than okay at this point, still wouldn't call it great) But at the same time we worked in world with big ego's and superstar attitudes, so we're not into catering to ego's and keep it straight.

Youtube....well....it's youtube.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Minotaur, try "Does saying that give you a feeling of adequacy, then?"

When I started guitar, the first time around, my mother made some sort of half-joking, non-complimentary remark and walked out of the room. As she went, I kicked the door to - not hard but hard enough.

Sadly, my mother decided that she had something to add to her previous remark - and turned to come back in the room. It was at that point that door and maternal nose met...........................much bleeding and apologising later, it became clear that I'd broken it.

It was something that I was never allowed to forget.....................

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Minotaur, try "Does saying that give you a feeling of adequacy, then?"

Love it. Next time I get that it will be like I said "Did that make you feel like a man to put me down?" and it must be in front of others. Sauce for the goose. I am half Sicilian. "Vendetta" is a Sicilian word. And as the Sicilians taught the Klingons, "Revenge is a dish best served cold" (I can be so dramatic, I actually missed my real calling... the stage :lol: ).
It was something that I was never allowed to forget.....................

Estrogen is the best memory aid known.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

never had a disparaging word shot my way. do I live in a polite world???
electrablue.........those 'boys' need to be taken to the back alley for some whoopin". how insulting.
I never have experienced anything like that with a female player. usually it's the opposite; guys falling over themselves to be welcoming.
playing or putting oneself out there is interesting. for me, being and introvert, the risk is high.
I (we) seek approval and suffer comments from the small minded and take them to heart. crazy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Yep. Sounds to me like you're in the midwest.

At a party where I played a few songs around the campfire a few weeks ago, a guy commented that I didn't play as well as the other guy who had been playing. (Which is true- the other guy is a real friend of mine, has taught me a lot, and is MUCH MUCH better than I am.)

BUt I didn't like this guy's tone. So I handed him the guitar. Embarassed silence. :twisted:

BEst,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I've never had a negative comment. Most people are impressed that I took up the guitar at my age and that I can play at all. But I'm hard enough on myself to make up for it.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Ive had one negative comment shot my way which led to a discussion :O.

I was playing some Jazz stuff in school, I usually play Jazz stuff at school when there is not alot of people around, I can play around with chords and noodle, and there were two people half-talking half-listening to me ( talking with me and listening ) and suddenly one of the two says man what is this stuff ur playing ?? U suck compared to Raymond he plays the coolest stuff. I simply looked at him and kept on playing my Jazz just enjoying myself with my guitar, Raymond can play rock great, I can play rock great, although my rock is influenced by Jazz and stuff so :P, its just my style.

So I am playing there, I am confident in myself, I dont need to reply, BAM and out of nowhere the other person in the conversation is like ( the girl xD ). Man what is your problem, cant you see the stuff he is doing here, Mell makes his own stuff, Raymond can play other peoples stuff, but Mell makes his own stuff and can play other peoples stuff too, and whatever she went on like that, until the other guy freaked out and walked away :D.

:P it was specially funny with the Jazzy music playing behind them :P.

I feel equal to this other man, we are great friends we play together all the time.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ummm ..... maybe a long time ago. I have been insulted about my singing plenty though. It goes like, "Nice riffs but you are singing out of key". Hey, my bad singing serves a purpose, it makes my guitar playing sound good. Oh wait, once on here I was told I was bending notes out of key. I retorted I was trying for dissonence but it was not accepted as a valid answer. I maintain I WAS doing it on purpose! :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Yes, just once . . . I'd tell you what happened . . . but then I'd have to shoot you too. :?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

Yeah, my freaking girlfriend (wasn't my girlfriend at the time) used to bust my balls because I could only play the A and E chords and I would just sit there switching between them. Now any time I play something cool that she likes, I make fun of her and bring it up. :mrgreen:

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

electrablue.........those 'boys' need to be taken to the back alley for some whoopin". how insulting.
I never have experienced anything like that with a female player. usually it's the opposite; guys falling over themselves to be welcoming.
playing or putting oneself out there is interesting. for me, being and introvert, the risk is high.
I (we) seek approval and suffer comments from the small minded and take them to heart. crazy.
Same here. I think I was lucky to be around friends who were musicians, who only had helpful things to say, and a supportive family. While I was home this summer, trying to learn the violin, amidst all the screeching and scratching my parents would always find something nice to say about what I was doing, and when I'd point out the flaws in what I played, only more encouragement.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

When I was a real beginner, I played a couple of pieces at an open mic/jam at a local music store. Most of the audience were professional musicians, several of whom had done the world touring thing. Most appreciative, encouraging and supportive audience I've ever found!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The first time I tried strumming and singing a lullaby to my kids, they walked out of the room and closed the door :shock:

Does that count?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Does that count?
:lol: I'm sorry to say . . . that counts.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3