Clear all

headphone amp

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@blacknbluedog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i am thinking of getting an electric guitar so I can play/practice without disturbing anyone. Is a headphone amp a good idea? I see the Vox model sells for around $40.00. Any suggestions as to which brands are good. I am a beginner so am not real savvy about what things work well.
Thanks
Brian

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Do you mean headphones with a built-in amp, or putting headphones into an amplifier? Either way, watch the volume - I know, I know, rock'n'roll's SUPPOSED to be played loud, but Pete Townshend blames his hearing loss not on the huge amps the Who on stage, but rather on loud studio headphones.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blacknbluedog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am referring to a product like the Vox amPlug. Its a battery powered unit that plugs directly into the guitar. It looks pretty small probably no larger than 3 inches in any dimension. The headphones are plugged into or attached to that unit.
Thanks
Brian

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've never tried one of those things. Something still under $100 I have tried do own is one of these V-Amps. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VAMP-2-Amp-Modeler?sku=480674 . So why spend the extra $60? Simply put, you get to play with tons of goodies and still be able to run through your headphone. Great for travel too. Lot more bang for the buck.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have a headphone amp from Nobel. It's OK, but nothing to write home about. Although it's quite expensive, I use a Pandora PX4 for most of my practice. The only problem is that the patches are definitely set up for headphones - through an amp, they are all over the top.
The Pandora also has a strap clip, so you can carry it on your guitar strap.
I've heard that the new VOX headphone amps are pretty good, but I've not seen one here, yet.
On the smaller devices, like the VOX, I could imagine that battery life might be an issue. On the more expensive amps, there's usually provision for a transformer input.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 on the Pandora PX4. It's sort of pricey compared to some others, but dropping, as the PX5 is either out or due out shortly.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

You could buy one of those but a month down the road you are going to want to play without headphones. May I suggest a few things?

1 Go get a Vox AD-15 or a Peavey Valve King Royal. Both of these amps have great tone and you can just plug your headphones into it and kill the external speaker(I believe the Epi Valve junior as well, and its on sale right now at GC). I've played both and either one sounds great. The Epi will need some pedals. Check the live sound section here. There is a homemade attenuator so you can crank the tubes up and turn the volume down on the epi.

2 You can plug your guitar into your computer mic in and use a program called audacity and then headphone out. The program is free. Some sounds cards don't work well and have quite a bit of a delay. I use a E-MU digital card and run my zoom effects board through it then into headphones, you may also record yourself using this method

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Question about the Behringer V-Amp. Can that be plugged straight into a PA, or does it need to go through a regular amp?

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Question about the Behringer V-Amp. Can that be plugged straight into a PA, or does it need to go through a regular amp?

Best,
Ande

Either. But the point and intention of an amp modeler (as the V-amp) is to allow one to create the sound of a guitar amp at low signal levels that can be used as inputs to a PA systems or a "clean" power amp and speaker system. If you want to travel light, carry your guitar, the V-amp and cables to plug into the house PA system.

If you use the V-amp with a guitar amp results with vary model to model (on the V-amp) and amplifier to amplifier. Not forbidden, just different.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Thanks! That sounds like what I'm looking for- I'm nervous about investing in a "good" big amp for gigs, as they're too big to move easily...but the place I'm hoping to play has a PA...

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

The V-amp2 was the best $100 investment I made in personal jamming.

I take it with when I travel or just hang out at home. I've used it at church or just about anywhere with an interesting selection of modeling sounds. It never gets old.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@blacknbluedog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to all for the response.
Brian

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

BlacknBlueDog, we're just trying to know there's a couple of other options out there that do more than the one thing you're thinking about. I'm sorry I've never tried the one you asked about. Good Luck with whatever way you go!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote