Clear all

Help GAS!

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok - My current stable of guitars - Seagull S6+GT, which I love, and a Yamaha Gigmaker, which I don't. I really don't care to play the Yamaha anymore, as it sounds pretty dull & lifeless compared to the Seagull. I want to buy a solid wood "keeper" for my next guitar. I really like the fretboard of the Seagull, and would like my next guitar to be similar. That being said, the Martin D-15 Custom, with solid sitka spruce top & solid mahogany back & sides has really got me thinking. The website dimensions don't really compare well between the two, since the Martin gives width at the nut and Seagull gives nut width. I guess it really comes down to the spacing of the strings, which neither gives. So.....

1) Any opinions about the Martin D-15 Custom (From Musicians Friend) I really don't want to order from the internet, but it seems to be the only place to get it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-D15-Custom-Spruce-and-Mahogany-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514700

2) Any other recommendations for a solid wood guitar in a similar price range that may compare fitwise with my Seagull?

Thanks!

(@davidhodge)

Simply because I'd like to give you more to think about:

I know from reading your past posts that you really like the Seagull because of the width of the fingerboard. If you're going to get another guitar as your "first" guitar, why not explore the possibilities of a twelve string? You will find the fretboard very accommodating and will undoubtedly love the sound. There are many to choose from in your price range (including Seagulls and lower end Martins).

I guess I think that everyone should have a few "keeper" guitars. :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Gee David, I come here for help or cure, and you expose me to a whole different level of disease? :cry: I never really considered a 12 string....until now. I'll have to play one the next time I'm at the shop. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Sorry about that! :wink:

Seriously, it was all from thinking about wider fingerboards. I know some people who own twelve-strings but only string them with six strings in order to accommodate their fingers.

So I guess you can look at it as getting two guitars instead of one!

And this is strictly personal predjudice, but I think once you play a twelve, you'll be hooked for life.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@tiger-jam)
Eminent Member

I really cannot imagine paying that kind of money for a guitar without holding it in my own hands and hearing it with my own ears.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Seriously, it was all from thinking about wider fingerboards. I know some people who own twelve-strings but only string them with six strings in order to accommodate their fingers.

And this is strictly personal predjudice, but I think once you play a twelve, you'll be hooked for life.

Peace

True enough David. I really like doing that actually. I've played many 12's and love the sound, but love the width even more. I used to jam/perform with an old friend of mine a few years back, mostly Beatles tunes, she was big into them at the time, and I sometimes used her mothers old 12 string, strung as a six, it was good fun, such a nice feel to them.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I bought that guitar for my dad last year and I liked it a lot, very well made, no defects, played perfectly. I had never played a Martin before, I can see why people love them so much. On the other hand I know very little about acoustic guitars. Dad didn't like it so I sent it back. He has a Gibson J-45 and I think he wanted a similar tone.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@graham)
Eminent Member

I too am looking for another guitar. After reading here and asking about a couple I'm no closer to it.

I have a Seagull S12 which I absolutely love. I love the fret board, the tone, the playability, just a terrific guitar. David recommended it to me a few years ago and my wife bought it for me for Christmas. Thank you again David.

As for a 6 string I have a Cort Earth 200 that is about 9 years old. I really liked it when I bought it, but now it's just ok for me. I have recently test driven A Guild GAD-50 which I thought was real nice, Seagull CAmeo CW, Takamine G330S (I think it was). I want to try an Epiphone DR series, but I may hold out for the Gibson J-45. That may be tough to justify because I'm not that good yet, but it is something I like to do and I think someone else around here said to keep repeating "I desrve something good".

I like the wider neck width and I really, really like the Sunburst colouring. I guess I could trade in my sons Epiphone Tony Iommi G400 that he doesn't play anymore and my Cort.

Any suggestion? Should I hold out for the Gibson or would the Epi or Guild be a reasonable substitution?

Thanx

Case

Graham

'72 Guild D25
'72 Guild A50 Archtop
'87 Guild GF25
'89 Guild JF30
'96 Guild DV-52
'99 Guild JF30-12

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Try a Martin D-16. They cost much less than the 15s.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I have heard some really nice things said about the Masterbilt line of Epiphone guitars, although I have yet to play one at the store. The DR looks like the model I would choose also. The price isn't too bad - around $600 or so.

ReplyQuote
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

A quick update. I went to a shop that carried Martin, Taylor, Guild, and a few others. I played the Martin D15 & 16. I was ready to love them, but neither really spoke to me. I can honestly go as far as to say I really didn't care for the sound. They were both in tune as this was not a rinky dink shop. The guy running the upstairs acoustic area was quick to pull out a tuner when I picked up a guitar that was out. Anyway, the upside of the day, was when I spyed the Taylor 355, which, by the way, I may have to name David when I get it :wink:. It was incredible! All 12 of those strings ringing. I never played a 12 string before, and thought it may be harder, but it was as if it was playing on its' own. My wonderful wife was nice enough to sit & listen and give her opinion on what she liked also. I also played a Martin 12 :cry:, but again, it wasn't speaking to me. So, at least I can focus on what my next guitar will be. For now, I'll have to save my pennies.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Another 12 string convert! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Peace
It's true! :lol: :wink:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Gawd I love this place.... all the different perspectives and some starteling..

I was going along with the first poster and the whole time thinking two things.

One: Maybe try a breedlove.... very nice handmade, american Gits...
Two: A comment about ordering from MF. I have bought two guitars from them, they are reputable, fast, courteous and will take care of you, especially if your ordering a higher end guitar.

Then I read Daves message about a 12 string..... TWANG!!!! I just busted a G string inside my head.

What novel idea. yeah you already have one guitar you love. Well...how about a 12 string? Duh.... I said to myself.

Hehehe.. How clever you are Dave :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

We never actually cure the GAS. Probably the reason there is some statistic about GN members credit have a low beakon score, I know it exist!

"9 out of 10 GN members will have a tremendously low beakon score if around for more than a month on the forum."

Good luck with the 12 String and Baritone... and Tele, Strat, LP, SG, 335, V, Explorer, Marshall JMP, Twin Reverb, and the slew of pedals. You will eventually purchase in the near future if your stick to the hobby! :D

I love GN!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote