Clear all

help needed....

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

this is short notice. im off to a guitar fair tomorrow because i want to buy a new guitar and i figure there will be some good bargains.
Now this definately is not a "which is best" question - i know they can be annoying.

What i want is a guitar with a gibson type bridge but a cut away body on both sides of the neck so i can reach the higher frets more easily than i can on my current guitar - but when it comes to buying guitars i am completely ignorant.
What make(s) of guitar have a reputation for making good guitars like this and what price range will get me a decent (not top notch) guitar of this type? to put it into perspective i have a vintage v100 gibson copy (in my avatar), that i love and i want something in that kind of price range?? (about 200 quid - not sure what that is in dollars im afraid)
The last thing i want is to be ripped off when i see something i like so i thought id ask here, after all failing to prepare is preparing to fail and all that :D

by the way, the reason i want a gibson type bridge is that i cannot play strat type guitars, i am too used to resting my picking hand on the gibson bridge and my hand feels like it is floating unanchored with other types of guitar?

i know when i find the guitar i want it will feel right and comfortable in my hands, but like i said, i dont want to be taken advantage of in the price department like has happened to me in the past :(

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have no idea of what a quid is in US dollars. :D

Have you considered Epiphone SGs?? They are a copy of the Gibson SG, and Epiphone offers a very good guitar for a very reasonable price. I went to your English EBay and typed in Epiphone SG and gots lots of hits like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-SG-400-Custom-G-400-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ280271036991QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280271036991&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The SG has the bridge you want, but it is far easier to play very high on the fingerboard with these guitars. Another plus is that they are very lightweight. The have great tone and this style of guitar has been used by many pros like Pete Townshend and Angus Young.

I would give these guitars a serious look.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the reply wes, and thanks for taking the time to do a search!
That does look great. i have looked in shops at epiphone guitars but none of them had this double cutaway (if thats what you call it). anyway, thanks for replying again and i will definately check out the epiphone stall for one of these and at least now i have an idea of the price range it should be in so i dont get ripped off.
i am seriously weary at the minute, as i bought a lovely electro acoustic by crafter last year but saw it for £100 cheaper the next month in another shop :( not a mistake i want to repeat - not on a teachers wage!

by the way, what does SG stand for??

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Oh, and I just looked up the value of the quid (or pound) to the US dollar. On Sept. 21st (varies daily) one quid= 1. 879 dollars.

So, 200 X 1.879= $375.80 :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Almann1979

I own a Gibson Faded SG.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222

Wow, they've jumped up in price over $100 since I got mine about a year and a half ago. But it is a great guitar. It is one of the lightest guitars you'll ever play which is one downside of the Les Paul. LPs are so heavy they can cause a sore neck or back. And it has great access to the higher frets. They sound fabulous played clean or with distortion. They have a little brighter tone than a LP, but they are not twangy like a Strat. Really a great and versatile guitar.

Epiphone is owned by Gibson, so these guitars are made to Gibson specs. Epiphone quality is usually pretty good, in fact many people feel that Epiphone makes a better quality guitar than Gibson itself. The difference is the wood and hardware, Epiphone uses less costly of each. Most feel their pickups aren't quite as good as the Gibson's, but that could probably be said of anybody, Gibson makes awesome pickups.

And who knows, you might see one of these Faded's used and pick it up cheap.

Let us know how it goes.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i will and i will post a pic of the new guitar :D

having the opinion of somebody who has played and owned these guitars and so knows what they are talking about is priceless - the only person i would otherwise consult with is my wife who would just recommend "the pink one" :lol:

thanks!! i just hope i dont get GAS so bad tomorrow that i end up paying for it until i retire!!

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

SG = Solid guitar.
Good luck finding something. :D

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes Crkt246 is correct about the name.

There is an interesting story about the SG. It was originally called a Les Paul as well, but Les Paul did not like the looks of the guitar (devil's horns), and so the name was changed to SG. Here is an article on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_SG

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

As you are in England, I suggest you check out the brand that calls itself "Vintage". Vintage produces guitars that are usually its slightly altered clones of classic designs, including number of Gibson solid electrics. Vintage's prices are fairly low in comparison to others.

Examples:

Double cut LP Junior clone
http://www.cheapguitardeals.co.uk/shop/item.asp?itemid=457

Gibby SG clone
http://www.cheapguitardeals.co.uk/shop/item.asp?itemid=454&catid=

Good luck

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

there are double cut lp's. they look like sg's to me. i haven't played one, so i couldn't tell you how they sound. there are also a lot of guitars with strat-type bodies and a hard tail. prs makes some.
is there a specific sound you're looking for? or just a guitar to fool around with? because if it's the second, you could check out some budget makers. i don't know if agile/rondo ships cheap to england, but they make decent guitars.

i'd also suggest looking for a nicer used guitar. you can get them for about the same price.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Epiphone SG was my first thought. I own one and it's a nice guitar. There are double cut Les Paul style guitars though, so if you could find one of those you might find it similar to the guitar you have just with better access to the higher frets.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

BARGAIN BARGAIN BARGAIN!!!!
i nearly bought a gibson SG (preowned) for £400, but i decided not to at the last minute as i couldnt justify going so far over budjet.
so, i sadly walked around other stalls at saw another SG exactly the same, but no "gibson" name. the guy told me his shop had just gone under and he was getting rid of all his remaining guitars and this is one he had made by a private guitar maker who chopped up an old mahogany table and followed the exact gibson specs.

i had a play and loved it but it was again out of my budget (it was £350). by the end of the day it hadnt gone, and the guy asked me if i could afford £150 for it, and it is now mine.
ill stick a picture on it one day but it is exactly what i was after. cheers for the tips guys, you helped me choose wisley!!

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

oh Gnease, i missed your post. my own current guitar is a vintage (see my avatar) - and your right, they are great!!

ReplyQuote
(@kaspen)
Trusted Member

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.music123.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar-519370-i1150570.Music123

Absolutely amazing value for the money.

ReplyQuote