Notifications
Clear all

Help with my first purchase

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pane-in-the-glass)
Topic starter  

Greetings, all! I'm a brand new guitarist (I've literally been playing for a week) looking to make my first buy. The original plan was to play my sister's guitar (a Yamaha CG100A) for a month or so, build up some callouses and muscle, (make sure I'm gonna stick with it,) and then go out and find a nice, used, cheap guitar that I liked. Well, that plan pretty much died the second I saw this beauty. However, as I am a new guitarist, I wanted to seek some opinions and advice before making the purchase.

The first problem is finding the darned thing! According to Musicians Friend, that is a transparent blue Ibanez AFS75T. However, when I search for that guitar elsewhere, this guy keeps popping up, even at the Ibanez official website! The next closest thing I can find is the AF75D, but again, there's a discrepency between the official Ibanez version and the Musicians Friend version. So I'm kind of stuck. I really like the one I mentioned in the first paragraph, and I like it much better than all the others I've linked, but I have no idea what it's called, or where I can get it.

The second problem I have, presuming I can resolve the first, is paying the right price for it. Most of the advice I've found on buying guitars suggests that: 1) You buy it from the store, not from the internet, and 2) Never pay the listed price. Both these points make sense to me, and I'd like to abide by them, but I've never haggled before and I'm not very confident I can pull it off. Still, it'd be nice to know what a "decent", "good", and "great" price for this guitar would be, just so I have a rough idea of what I should be looking to spend.

The third problem I have is much more complicated than the first two: should I buy it? I have a lot of conflicting thoughts on this one, most of which I'll keep to myself lest I begin to ramble, but I do have a few specific questions that will directly affect my decision.

My first concern is that I really don't think I'm ready for a brand new guitar just yet, but since it's on clearance at Musician's Friend (transparent red only), I feel like it's a now or never deal. If it's a choice between having it now, and not having it later, I think I'd prefer to have it now. I just feel like I'm being rushed into it, and I don't like feeling like that. So is there any way of telling whether or not this guitar will be available, say, two months down the road? Four months? Keep in mind that I want to buy one exactly as pictured in the link.

Based on the reviews I've read, this is a good guitar for beginners. However, if I'm paying over $100, I want to be sure that I'm getting a guitar that I can grow into, not one that I'll grow out of. So for what skill level(s) would you expect this guitar to be appropriate: beginner, intermediate, advanced, and/or other?

My final question is about style. While I'm nowhere near being able to play with style (or more simply, I'm nowhere near being able to play :lol: ), I've watched a bunch of youtube videos of people playing the AFS75T, and this seems to be one highly versatile guitar! I was wondering, though, is it exceptionally versatile for an electric guitar? Is it exceptionally versatile for a hollow body electric guitar? or is that kind of versatility pretty much expected out of either an electric, or a hollow body electric guitar?

As I'm sure you know, this can all be a bit overwhelming, and as I said, things are moving a bit faster than I'm comfortable with, so any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my post, and have a great day!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

First of all, the Ibanez Artcore line -- which indeed includes many guitars in variations -- is a great value for $$. And even better, they truly are good guitars. Those of use with more expensive guitars have no problem putting Artcores into rotation for real gigging.

The difference between the two guitars (blue versions) is the Bigsby-style tremolo (more correctly vibrola). Either is a fine guitar. You do not have to use the trem, but will pay a little extra for it.

You should by a guitar from a store if possible, and take a knowledgeable guitar-playing friend with you to check out your purchase. Any new guitar might need adjustments or have subtle flaws or even glaring issues that a noob will not recognize. For a guitar in this price range, adjustments can be expected (neck relief/truss rod, intonation, bridge positioning and height). The bridge positioning is especially important on these guitars, as the bridge in not attached, but kept in place by the downward force for strings. The store should make sure that it is placed properly or you will have problems playing in tune as you move up the neck. From what I've seen of these, there should be few or no flaws on an Ibanez Artcore unless it is a blem or 2nd (reduced cost!). Ibanez's QC is very good. I would ask for a different guitar out of stock before taking a flawed one -- unless I got a great deal. But I can repair guitars. I assume you cannot (yet).

On pricing: There is very little haggling that should need to happen. You can buy the guitar on-line for price $XX and there is little reason to pay more unless the store is very small and does not sell many guitars (go elsewhere, unless you have a special relationship with the owner). Sometimes I have decided to pay the extra $10 or $20 to help create a good releationship - depends on the store. Know the web-price before you go to the store. My local store is not a chain, yet sells me everything below internet price without much discussion. Okay, I have spent several thousands there, but even early on, they met internet prices. Even after you have a price you like, assume they can toss in a few minor freebies that you will need. If not included, be sure to purchase a good hard case or a well padded gig bag (some people here will insist on a hard case - I dont, YMMV) and ask for " what they can do on the price."

Just like buying a car, never let the salesperson know you are "in love" with a guitar or how much money you have. Your best bargaining tool is the willingness to walk away with nothing. Artcores are sold in many places. Be patient. Make the salesperson name a price first. The price on the tag is almost never firm. Simply act as if it is a starting point, and ask "what can you do for me on this price." If you like what you hear, then say something like "not bad, I might be able to manage that." -- but don't yet commit, as you aren't done. You should ask for something else to close the deal. Tell him/her that price includes a set-up (of course), and move on to the case discussion. If you cannot get close enough to the internet price on the case, ask them to toss in the strings, strap, cable, picks, low cost tuner -- things you'd have to by anyway, but are very low cost to them. In all of this, you should work on attaining and maintaining mutual respect during the process. It is okay for you to walk if you don't like the price -- even if it is reasonable. It's your money until you hand it over, and you can decide to do with it whatever you wish. But also remember this salesperson should be given respect, and there is nothing wrong with the store making a reasonable profit. If you don't agree it is reasonable, no reason to get upset. Just acknowledge the price does not work for you, and move on to another guitar. Always leave on good terms. You most likely will be back to whatever store you visit. Good luck.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

excellent advice. follow it new guitarist.

the Artcore IS a good guitar. I can testify.
the last band I was in the other guitar player had a blue one. no Bidgsy trem model.
it played and sounded great. really versitle. not hard on the fingers. I liked the shape of the neck.
standing and playing it was different than my strat, for sure. but it was a comfort. the fret ends on the neck were not sharp.
the nut was cut right , as the string spacing felt right. that is a good detail to look for in your guitar BTW.
one problem with this hollow body was feedback. if turned the wrong way it would howl. granted we did play loud in our small rehearsal space. still, semi hollow bodies have a propensity to feed back if you aren't careful.
the Artcore is a good guitar indeed.
his was trans blue. any of those colors would be coool.
keep us posted.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I got one of these things (in a pale sea green with Bigsby) for my boy a few years back, and it's one of his favorite guitars. Actually I'd admired it when it came through the store and sold new, then when the buyer traded it back in like new a couple of years later I got a real deal on it. He loves it, and I would say it is very versatile as long as it's not played in a loud environment with high gain. It's a thinline hollowbody, not a semihollow with a solid block filling the center, so it's sensitive to feedback. But at moderate volumes, run into an amp with a good bit of gain or through an overdrive or distortion pedal, you can get some rocking sounds out of it, as well as those nice clean hollowbody tones.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great advices so I only add a couple of ideas.

Try to play before buy the guitar. I fell in love of one of those jazz hollow guitars and when I played it, the feelings are not good for me. It was not comfortable or I didn't like it, I don't know. The Ibanez is a very cool guitar but play also all the other guitars in the store: semihollow and solid, Les Paul and Strat, Tele and SG, etc. Don't be in a hurry. And have fun while you are purchasing. It is always great to buy a new instrument.

Secondly, I started to play many years ago and I got back recently. I put a goal when I returned: I should play at least three months (almost) every day with my old guitar. If I can do it, it meant I like the guitar and I could invest some money in a better (or newer) instrument. At least in my case, I have to do these things because I have a lot of hobbies and I like a lot of activities but my free time is very limited.

Have fun!

And welcome to GN! :)

ReplyQuote
(@pane-in-the-glass)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the advice! That is all very helpful. It's encouraging to hear everyone speak so highly of the Artcore series. At this point, I think I've pretty much decided that I will buy it if I can find it, though as suggested, I'll reserve my final decision until after I've actually played it.

My plan was to call up all the local shops and ask if they had that guitar with that finish in stock, and if so, what the sticker price was. Then, go around to all the shops without telling them I was the one who called. Check out several of the guitars, both acoustic and electric, making sure the Ibanez is in the bunch, and pick out a few of my favorites. Later, come back with my designated expert, have him play some of my top picks and see what he thinks, and then possibly try to get the stores to compete with each other by giving them my best price and seeing if they can beat it. I'll be sure to keep an open mind, along with the realization that I don't have to buy anything if there's nothing I like. Of course for this plan to work, I need to know what guitar I'm looking for. If I understand correctly, I'm looking for the Transparent Blue Ibanez AFS75T, without the Bigsby tremolo, right?

Also, it would be helpful to review all the accessories I'm going to need as well. Starting from scratch, I'll need to pick up:

Guitar
Case
Guitar Stand
Strap*
Amp (if I get an electric)
Guitar Cable (again, if I get an electric)*
Strings*
Picks*
Tuner*
Metronome (?)

Items marked with an asterisk are ones which I understand should be included with the purchase of a guitar. Strap and picks, I'd expect, are pretty standard, and I don't have any particular questions about them. As far as strings are concerned, I've read that I should try to get the store to restring the guitar before I take it home. So, should I be looking for two sets of strings, one for the guitar right away, and one extra for later, or should I just be looking for one set of strings to be included with the purchase, and then purchase an extra set separately (I think it'd best to have an extra set on hand)? I've also read that I should be sure to get a high quality tuner and cable right from the start. Do you think I should pick those out separately, or do you think whatever's included would be fine? In addition to everything else, I think I'm going to get a decent digital metronome, just 'cause I think that'd be good to have. Also, in general, is there anything you think I should add or remove from that list, or does it look pretty solid?

I was a bit confused when you said
If not included, be sure to purchase a good hard case or a well padded gig bag
and later,
...and move on to the case discussion. If you cannot get close enough to the internet price on the case...

The way I read this, it sounds like most places have a basic case they tend to include with their purchases, but not everyplace does that. If it's not included, I should find a case I like, check it's price online, and then see what they can do for the price of the guitar+case combo, comparing that to what i can get online. Is that what you meant, or did I read that wrong?

Also, what is included in a set-up? I presume that's changing the strings, tuning, adjusting the bridge, truss rod, and action; i.e., getting the guitar ready to go. Also, what are the pros/cons about purchasing the display model? The way I see it, it's good to buy the actual one you played and preferred, but at the same time, I can see not wanting something that's been constantly handled, and possibly, perhaps even subtly, damaged.

I'll try to avoid getting too focused on the amplifier, as that's pretty much a topic in and of itself, but I do have one question: should I buy the amp at the same time, and in the same store as the guitar, or should I shop for that independently of the guitar?

One last question. You suggested knowing the internet price going in, but thus far, I've been unable to find this guitar on the internet (which is a bit concerning). My first thought would be to use the version with the tremolo in its place, and then knock off a couple bucks for the lack of that feature. That seems pretty obvious, but I still thought I should float it out there, in case there's something else I should do.

Finally, when it comes to things like this, I have a tendency to over-analyze. So if I'm asking about something that doesn't really matter, just point out that it's not a big a deal, and I'll stop worrying about it and move on.

I think that's it for now. Once again, thank you for all the advice. I'm already feeling more confident about this, and I'm getting a bit more excited, too!

P.S. - And welcome to GN! :)
Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

for price comparison check out an on line catalog. Musician Friend, for example. maybe that isn't available overseas. look for a similar company.
set ups ususally do not come with a new set of strings. you could ask. maybe they will.
same with cord and strap.
I always ask and they usually throw in a cord and a strap that no one wants.
tuners are never part of the deal.
reputable guitar stores offer a set up u[pon purchase (if it hasn't already been done)
and they should offer a second set up within one year of purchase. during this time things can change and another set up is needed.
purchasing the floor model. nothing wrong with that. it is kind of gross knowing that your new guitar has been pawed on by everybody shopping, but as you correctly assume, it is the guitar you looked over in detail. check for surface flaws...maybe there is a discount.
I bought a guitar and amp the same day at the same place once. they gave me a better deal. if you have the money, think about it. in addition, since you are there with your guitar, why not try out amps. later, when you don't have your guitar at the store amp shopping becomes a bit more scary.
enjoy shopping. don't listen to the hype. if the guitar feels 'right' it is the guitar.

I think my strat picked me.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Also, it would be helpful to review all the accessories I'm going to need as well. Starting from scratch, I'll need to pick up:

Guitar
Case
Guitar Stand
Strap*
Amp (if I get an electric)
Guitar Cable (again, if I get an electric)*
Strings*
Picks*
Tuner*
Metronome (?)

Items marked with an asterisk are ones which I understand should be included with the purchase of a guitar.

Very little is "required" to be included in the purchase of a guitar except the strings on it, and probably the adjustment wrenches (in a little zip bag). You are ASKING for these things to be added to the deal. It's usually easy to get an extra set of strings and some picks. After that comes further possibilities of a basic strap (either unusual one no one would want, as Dogbite suggests, or a less expensive woven nylon of which the store may have 10 or 20 in stock) and/or a low cost cable (they will give you a "starter" cable which will serve for a bit, then become a spare when you get around to buying a better one). All these "possible freebies" will be "our price" tagged for no more than about $10 each, and you will not get all. Name them and see what you can get. I mentioned a tuner, because the prices have dropped on tunres to a point where these can be had for $10. But if you do not ask, they will not likely give anything extra to you.

Yes, you should have case, strap, cord/lead, picks, spare strings and a tuner. A metronome also is a very good thing to have. So is a stand. Most don't consider an amp to be an accessory, but almost an instrument in it's own right. That is a whole 'nother discussion.
Strap and picks, I'd expect, are pretty standard, and I don't have any particular questions about them. As far as strings are concerned, I've read that I should try to get the store to restring the guitar before I take it home. So, should I be looking for two sets of strings, one for the guitar right away, and one extra for later, or should I just be looking for one set of strings to be included with the purchase, and then purchase an extra set separately (I think it'd best to have an extra set on hand)? I've also read that I should be sure to get a high quality tuner and cable right from the start. Do you think I should pick those out separately, or do you think whatever's included would be fine? In addition to everything else, I think I'm going to get a decent digital metronome, just 'cause I think that'd be good to have. Also, in general, is there anything you think I should add or remove from that list, or does it look pretty solid?

I was a bit confused when you said
If not included, be sure to purchase a good hard case or a well padded gig bag
and later,
...and move on to the case discussion. If you cannot get close enough to the internet price on the case...

The way I read this, it sounds like most places have a basic case they tend to include with their purchases, but not everyplace does that. If it's not included, I should find a case I like, check it's price online, and then see what they can do for the price of the guitar+case combo, comparing that to what i can get online. Is that what you meant, or did I read that wrong?

The case versus no-case situation is usually based on what the manufacturer supplies with the guitar. For some models, the case is included in the guitar's price and you get it automatically. But in situations where the manufacturer is not providing a case, you will need to buy one. That price can be bargained too -- esp if they have it in stock. If the strore has to order it, there is less bargaining power. If the store has good gig bags, they may be worth investigating.
Also, what is included in a set-up? I presume that's changing the strings, tuning, adjusting the bridge, truss rod, and action; i.e., getting the guitar ready to go. Also, what are the pros/cons about purchasing the display model? The way I see it, it's good to buy the actual one you played and preferred, but at the same time, I can see not wanting something that's been constantly handled, and possibly, perhaps even subtly, damaged.

A setup can be a very minor affair -- if the guitar is already well adjusted, or if not well adjusted, it can be pretty involved. For your preferred model of Artcore, it's mainly a bit of tweaking adjustments after removing the foam pad from beneath the bridge. Strings only get replaced if obviously worn or corroded or rusty.
One last question. You suggested knowing the internet price going in, but thus far, I've been unable to find this guitar on the internet (which is a bit concerning). My first thought would be to use the version with the tremolo in its place, and then knock off a couple bucks for the lack of that feature. That seems pretty obvious, but I still thought I should float it out there, in case there's something else I should do.

Ibanez makes several models that come in both trem and non-trem. Check those price differences to guide you.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@pane-in-the-glass)
Topic starter  

Okay! Thanks, again! I think that answers all my questions for now, though I'll be back if I have any more. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted, and I'll let you know how things turn out!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I was wondering, though, is it exceptionally versatile for an electric guitar? Is it exceptionally versatile for a hollow body electric guitar? or is that kind of versatility pretty much expected out of either an electric, or a hollow body electric guitar?

Hi,

In my experience, much of the 'versatility' is in the fingers of an experienced player rather than the guitar as such. So if you're just starting out don't expect too much from the guitar itself. What I mean is that you shouldn't rely on judging the 'sound' of any guitar by what you've heard online - either in a clip or from what's been described - you must play them for yourself and hear what it sounds like when you're playing them.

For instance, it seems quite common for players who've started on acoustic instruments to imagine that hollow bodied electric guitars will sound pretty much like an acoustic when they're unplugged, but usually they don't. The unplugged sound can be very disappointing if you imagine that it will sound just like a dreadnought, simply because it's hollow. Most hollow bodied electrics are made to be played plugged in, and will give a certain type of sound because of their design - but they're often not 'versatile' in the sense that they'll do a great job as an acoustic, which you can play plugged in now and then if you want to. If you're after a guitar that will sound good played mostly as an acoustic, but which will also be good plugged in, then you should try out a few properly acoustic guitars that also have pickups.

All you can do is play as many as you can in the shop and hear it for yourself.

Good luck with it all.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Did you say you cannot find this guitar anywhere online? The problem is adding the "T" at the end of the model number, that is the model with the tremelo arm. You want the AFS75, not the AFS75T. I found it at several locations, here it is at Woodwind and Brasswind:

Ibanez AFS75

Looks like they only offer the black model.

Here it is in brown or red:

Ibanez AFS75

You can get an orange one from Guitar Center

Ibanez AFS75

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@pane-in-the-glass)
Topic starter  

Sadly, it looks like the trans. blue AFS75 has been discontinued and is sold out everyplace I can think to look. I'm pretty sure it was gone before I even started playing, which is some consolation, but I'm still disappointed. I do have these two to fall back on. I'm calling them AF75s, but I've also seen them listed as AFS75s. I think I prefer the trans. red sunburst to the trans. blue sunburst. I don't know why, but I like the blue better without the sunburst.

Of course, it's not all bad. At least now I don't feel rushed to make a decision. Now I feel like I can wait until I'm truly ready to make a purchase.

Thank you for all your help. I'll be keeping all of this in mind as I continue to shop. Take care, and happy holidays!

ReplyQuote