Clear all

Hit Song Science

129 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I saw a report about this technology on the Discovery Channel. It's software that takes a song, analyses the tempo, beat, chords, sound and etc to predict whether or not you will have a hit song.

http://www.hitsongscience.com/technology.php

Here's an article questioning the science behind this.

http://blogs.sun.com/plamere/entry/liking_is_based_on_deep

Thoughts? Opinions? Concerns?

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Sounds like a waste of money.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Yeah, that's what the world needs...

Formulaic pop music. :(

Oh, wait. We've had it for decades without the computers, haven't we. :roll:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - solo - chorus - key change for last chorus and fade.....3 minutes and 7 seconds long so's the DJ can talk over the last few seconds as the song starts to fade.

There you go - I've just saved you money.

Oh, I should add - it helps if you've got talent, but it's not really necessary........

Cynical? ME? Never!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Oh, I should add - it helps if you've got talent, but it's not really necessary........
The charts would tend to contradict that statement, Vic............... :D :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The charts would tend to contradict that statement, Vic............... :D :D

Yeah, well, last time I actually listened to the charts, I think Whitney Houston was#1 for about the umpteenth week - that's when I thought, "I have GOT to find a new radio station!" Thankfully, not long after that, Virgin Radio started broadcasting.

Occasionally, I'll glance at the top 20 in the paper - and marvel at the fact that from about 1963 to the mid-80's or so, I could tell you what was a hit for who, what year, etc, and that I haven't heard anything by (on average) at least 15 of the top 20 artists these days.....

These days, I listen pretty exclusively to Planet Rock - occasionally, I'll tune into Gold (formerly Capital Gold) if I'm in the mood for some more "pop" oldies - usually on a Sunday, where they feature an artist talking about the top 20 when that particular artist was #1..........

Charts? You can keep 'em - I've got plenty of music to listen to on vinyl, cassette and CD and the above named stations.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is well known that 11 year old girls drive the pop music scene in the states. I could use the money, but I couldn't and would not want to fit into that square hole. I am sure I wouldn't even want to be a round peg.
the pop world has absolutely no interest to me.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Mass entertainment is just that, a product to entertain a large group of people. The whole point has always been to figure out what 'the people' want and find a product that's close enough for most. Compare it with hamburgers: an instantly enjoyable product for an affordable price. You're not supposed to find deep meaning and insights in hamburgers or mass entertainment so judging it from an artistic perspective makes no sense to me.

Both the fastfood and mass entertainment industry have always relied on statistics: what size of hamburger can be comfortable eaten by most people without appearing too small? How long should a song be in order to bring a point fast enough not to be boring but long enough to contain enough repetitions? There are tens, if not hundreds of questions like these that together form the 'average' of our culture. Using computers to process large ammounts of data isn't a whole lot different from what human minds have been doing all along, it's just a possibly efficient addition to the familiar way of working. I don't have any problems with such formulaic, generic, prefab music if it allows people to have a good time for a few bucks. Prefab music won't harm 'art music' just like burger-flippers won't threaten the jobs of skilled chefs.

As for this specific program: a program like this can never factor in sociological developments in time to 'stay ahead' or predict how it would be received in subcultures. To me that is just as important in predicting the succes of a number then just the musical qualities. Take Tokyo Hotel: no musical analysis could ever suspect this act would go anywhere, there are hundreds of other acts making such music. But when you factor in the fact that the band is filled with kids who are dressed in friendly pseudo-punk outfits things become more clear. It's succes lies not just in the music but in how it targets two groups of people: the kids who are fans get the cool peers, the parents who have to buy it get the 'friendly, cute and harmless' aspect to convince them that buying a Tokyo Hotel album would be a better choice then, say, a Manson album or such. Manson on the other hand aims at a slightly older audience: people who are impressed with over-the-top theatrics and can afford to buy the music without their parents consent. Making a hit doesn't just mean you know a 'magic formula' for music, it also means you have a clear target-audience in mind, know what they seek, see where controversy could start and whether or not it would add or distract to /from the package.

And all of that takes considerably more skill then just 'applying a formula'.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I hear they use the same algorithms on Match.com. I've always thought myself to be a Hit Single. 8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Crunching numbers for a "hit" should work...but only to the point of coming up with another pointless AM pop tune. As far as aesthetics go...nope...only the brain's got that kind of software! Besides...real classic tunes...the ones that come and stay with you...are only recognised as such when you hear it...not gear it!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I hear they use the same algorithms on Match.com. I've always thought myself to be a Hit Single. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

put a dime in the juke box cause I'm an Oldie. :cry:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nah, Matt, you're classed as a "new release".....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Pro-tip: Pop music has always been driven by 11 year old girls. The age may have got slightly younger, 20 years ago, maybe it was 16 year old girls, but never anything much more significant than that. There's always "fringe pop" as I like to call it. Stuff that may not be the greatest, but is at least breaking some new ground and slightly original. Sells a significant amount of albums, but gets a bit less radio play and is a little more off the radar. There is at least some good music in this fringe pop section.

The classic rock years that most people on this forum are really into, had their "pop" too, and it was just as bad as the stuff today. When you were listening to the beatles, there were a lot of people listening to Elvis Presley, the Bee Gees, Barry Manilow etc.

Also, more flamebait, but although the beatles really grew into a great band, their early stuff is pop trash that is just as bad as what's on the radio today.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hey man, you're dissin' the King or what? :shock:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Yep, he definitely owes EP an apology . . .
and who is Barry Manilow?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 9