Clear all

HNGD - Xaviere Xv-560

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I know. What the heck to I need another toy for. No need. It was cheap enough and I didn't have one.....you know the drill.

My review is below the pic:

At any rate, this guitar from Guitar fetish: http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-560-SOLID-Maple-Top-Semi-Hollowbody-Alnico-P90s_c_187.html
But, with a blem. In this case, a little paint drip dropped the price to $179: http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-560-Semi-Hollow-Quilt-Top-GFS-Alnico-P90s-Lemon-Drop-Blem_p_1583.html
and a 15% discount brought a $249 guitar down to $152 plus shipping - total of about $171 or so after it was all done with.

Here it is.

Review time: I've not been around much for a week or so. I'm trying to adjust to meds without looking like a frigging drama-queen. I'll try to keep this really sub-topic centric and not ramble.

Out of the box (and after tuning it up):

• Those awful new guitar strings.
  • Intonation off on every string, but no more than a couple of marks on my tuner in either direction. Stupid stock strings.
  • The bridge pickup seemed really weak.
  • Action was a touch high, but I suspect withing range. I like mine a touch high anyhow. I don't like fret buzz, and I jump on the strings at times.
  • The input jack was loose.
  • Changes Made:

• Tighened input jack. duh!
  • Decided at the last minute to go with .11s instead of .10s. I decided that it might drive the semi-hollow top a little better. (I was right, at least going from .09s to something higher)
  • Lowered the bridge/saddle. probably a little over a turn on each side. Made a nice difference. I think I'll leave action alone now except one issue, which I'll describe later.
  • re-tuned and played. Repeated until strings broken in.
  • Raised bridge pick-up a little bit. Not sure if it was string height change or pickup height change, but the bridge pickup not too weak anymore. I have not tried a scorching patch yet to test out, but I think it'll do just fine.
  • Overall: It's a bit noisy when on a driven patch, as one expects out of P-90s. This is my first set with soapbar type P-90s, so I have no comparison. I do have one each of the GFS P90s HB replacement varieties on a couple of solid bodies. These sound a little noisier than that. However, on a very clean, but aggressive patch I use a lot of, there was almost no noise. Very surprising.

The guitar was set up for .09s. Putting .11s on it made the action at the first fret a little too tight. time to break out the files. They were not bad before I did the .11's and the nut cuts are not deep at all. By way of comparison, my $300 Ibanez ART100 that I paid $259 for last summer had similar issues, but was worse....and that was going from .09s to .10s. I have files, so no big deal.

Upon string change, I discovered that each tuner nut was very loose, as in rattle loose. I tightened each one to non-rattle tension plus maybe a 1/4 turn at the most. This is not the first guitar I've ever had to do that to.

All of the volume and tone POTs work fine. The volume knob does not have the Epi LP Volume POT thing where having it set at 2 is 90% of the volume. This is a nice surprise.

I have no urge to adjust or even check truss rod. The intonation is off on I think 3 strings instead of 6 like it was. I think part of that was going to a better grade string than the crappy ones on most new guitars. I'll let the strings settle another day before adjusting intonation. It's close enough right now to not bother me.

In closing:
    If I appearred overly picky, well, it's because I am. I wanted to examine this guitar as if I paid Epi LP Standard price for it - say around $500. It needed many tweeks, but minimal in nature. Even with the nut needing a tiny bit of cutting, the barred-F at the first position is still doable. It plays very well in other positions barred and open. It sounds very nice. It looks very nice, even with that little paint drip line on the side. If I paid $500 for this guitar as it is right now, I'd be a happy customer. It's certainly a nice guitar and a very good value at it's normal $249 price, which makes me a very happy customer.

<ps> I'll have a recording sometime, but that PC went down over-night. grrrrrr!

Roy
    "I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@apache)
    Reputable Member

HNGD :D

It looks very nice! I'll be interested to hear how you thinks it compares to the ESP you have :-)

Congratulations :D :D

ReplyQuote
    (@rparker)
    Illustrious Member
    Topic starter  

It looks very nice! I'll be interested to hear how you thinks it compares to the ESP you have
    This one has grit and twang as compared to the ESP LTD that I have which has a lot of thickness to it's tone. (not to mention it's tuned really oddly right now for a Metallica song. Down a whole step plus another 1/2 step on the e-strings or something?)

Roy
    "I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
    (@trguitar)
    Famed Member

Nice purchase Roy! Reminds me of my Kramer Standard Pro as it is a lemon drop as well. Same speed knobs too, but thats where it ends. Sounds like it is well worth the money. Can't wait to hear it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
    grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
    -- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
     cnev
    (@cnev)
    Famed Member

Hey Roy nice looking guitar. That collection keeps growing and growing.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
    It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
    (@katmetal)
    Prominent Member

Sweet! I really like the finish! I wonder - do all the guitars from GF need that much maintenance right out of the box? Even the tuner nuts were loose? Maybe they rushed it together since it is a "blem".

Still very nice though. I will have to take a look at that site again. :)

ReplyQuote
    (@rparker)
    Illustrious Member
    Topic starter  

This is only my second one, but not my last. But to answer that question, I think every new guitar from anywhere that I've gotten has had to have some sort of set up done. I don't think there was anything on this that I had not done previously at some point for some new guitar. The best I've gotten is from shops when they had actually bothered to do some sort of set-up. That happens periodically. Otherwise, it's mostly set-up issues. I've always considered tightening any tuners to be a set up issue while the strings are off. I mean, you're going through this and checking everything.

I will also add that each string was tuned down (probably to save neck wear during shipping?) to almost precisely 3 steps below standard tuning.

Roy

ReplyQuote
    (@katmetal)
    Prominent Member

That's true - most of what I have purchased online needed a bit of going over. The last Schecter that I purchased was beautiful right out of the box, & so was the Epiphone Prophecy. Both exceptional guitars.

That Lemon drop is a beaut, & I've always loved quilted finishes. So those P90's are twangy, huh?

ReplyQuote
    (@rparker)
    Illustrious Member
    Topic starter  

Not as much as a Tele, but twangy still. You can coax many tones from it. Pretty much like a ligher sounding LP in some areas. I've not fully explored yet. It is making me want to go back to '11s on my Gretsch, though.

Roy

ReplyQuote