Clear all

Hofner or Epiphone?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@usaf_chrisa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So. Here is my dilema. I really (and I do mean really) want (make that need) a hofner bass, such as the one that Paul McCartney plays. However... there was something that I spied today out of the corner of my eye: the Hofner was at guitar center. But wait... it says Epiphone... Didn't even know that they made a bass like that, was a first for me, but i plugged it in and really liked it. The only thing that kept me from buying it was that i didnt have the proper amount of cash and they wouldnt accept my mitchell, being that I am only 17 years old and you have to be 18 to sell them any instruments (DAMN YOU, LAW).

So anyways... Here is what I am considering

The Hofner bass retails for 349.99 with free shipping online, a very nice deal indeed.

The Epiphone is closer to 300 at guitar center (wouldnt have to wait for that pesky shipping). Along with the fact that I could trade in my Mitchell 12 string AND Fender Squier bass to get even more money off the bass.

Should I go with the epiphone or the hofner. Im leaning towards the epiphone.

Top 3 albums of all time:
1. Abbey Road
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I think the Hofner is nicer, but Sarah tried out the Epi at GC in Dallas and she said she loved it. The best way to go would be to try one of each and see which one you like better.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you really want the Hofner, get it. When I was interested in a Beatle Bass type instrument, the new less expensive Hofners weren't yet available. My choices were the Epiphone, the Jay Turser Beatle, and the Rondo music Brice viol(in) bass. I excluded the Epiphone simply because it didn't have the pickguard.

I also don't prefer Les Pauls without pickguards - simply cosmetic reasons.

I decided on the Brice, but they happened to be out of stock when I was hot to buy, and wound up with the Turser, which I'd read good reviews about. I've been happy with it ever since.

I don't know why you want a Hofner so much, whether it's the sound or the vibe of it, but if you like the tone, remember that a big part of the classic sound has to do with flatwound strings, on top of it being short scale. Those two together get you close to the classic Hofner sound. I use Rotosound medium-scale monel flatwounds (because the Turser is just a tad over actual 'short-scale.'

If you're going for the look, probably go for the Hofner since it looks, well, about as exactly like a Hofner as you can get ;)

But even if you go with the Epiphone, remember the flatwound strings.

Oh, and a hardshell case for any of them, since you don't want that floating bridge getting knocked around by accident.

ReplyQuote
(@usaf_chrisa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I would much rather have the hofner, mainly because its a hofner. But I havnt played it and i dont really know where i will find one other than online. So for now i guess ill have to stick with the epiphone which i did really like playing. Theyre out of stock for the time being so ill think it over for a while.

Top 3 albums of all time:
1. Abbey Road
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

ReplyQuote
(@cavernplayer)

Hofner for me but I'm biased with my three Hofs.... :lol:

cp

ReplyQuote