Notifications
Clear all

honesty...

35 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

one can exaggerate, but one day someone may ask you to play up to you exaggerations...that would suck.

On the other hand if you tell people you suck and then jam, you are a god 8)

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Like a couple of others here, I sort of try to gloss over how long I've been playing. Not because I want to look impressive, but because of the "Oh, you've been playing for two and a half years? you must be pretty good by now." Uh, yeah, right. I always make sure to point out that I haven't taken any lessons and don't really study seriously (though I'm trying to start both now).

@Kaizer - you must be an engineer like me. Underpromise and overdeliver. :lol:

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't think people deliberately overestimate themselves, they just perceive the truth differently. I know plenty of people who can play 'all Jimi Hendrix' songs. Well, I never knew all his songs use the same four chords. Did they lie to me? Nope, they probably seriously believe they can play all his songs. Unfortunately, such a blind perspective pretty much ruins any chance of improving. Which is why many guitarists don't just simply suck, even worse they aren't even aware of it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If I could remember how long, I'd tell the truth. But after a certain point it does not matter.

Some advice for newer players sizing up others or when they perform for anyone: Years ago, I realized I was more impressed the first time I heard others play, than at subsequent times. This is because many players are putting on the alpha-male show the first time to impress everyone around them -- in a store or hanging out or whatever. When you see the "act" for the second or third time, no change, and not so cool. I now realize the better players know that hanging back and only playing what's necessary and doing it well is more satisfying, even when playing solo. Play with ease, inject a few bursts of genius if you can and only if called for in the song. And don't do too much; leave 'em hungry. Your friends want to hear you play, then play them a song, not a riff of a partial song. Have a few ready, and change it up each time. Music is like magic -- never do quite the same trick each time, and never twice in a row.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

Like a couple of others here, I sort of try to gloss over how long I've been playing. Not because I want to look impressive, but because of the "Oh, you've been playing for two and a half years? you must be pretty good by now." Uh, yeah, right. I always make sure to point out that I haven't taken any lessons and don't really study seriously (though I'm trying to start both now).

TZ
Man that is strange...I am an environmental engineer student to be exact :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

TZ
Man that is strange...I am an environmental engineer student to be exact :shock:

There are quite a few of us here -- managing expectations is part of engineering and biz and ... should be part of Life 101

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'll admit I've been playing 6 years. I just don't sound like it. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hi guys, I was in the same boat up until Christmas, I only ever played to the wife and the cat, anyway mother-in-law was staying with us and I decided I'd play Grandma got runover by a reindeer (just for comedy value) but everyone thought that I was great, I was even asked for an encore! After that my confidence has grown a little and I've now played when my parents were over too.

I think sometimes we need to believe in our own abilities a bit more and try playing in front of other people. I'm sure none of you could play any worse than I can.

I'm also a bit surprised by some of you because you all have helped me with my playing at some time or another with your advice and comments in other threads.

Hope this inspires the "closet players" to come out - so to speak. :D

Stevie

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I somewhat exaggerate. People who know I play guitar often ask me when a song comes on the radio or whatever if I can play that song or that solo. Usually, it's just a rock song or something simple like that that I know I could play if I cared to take the time to learn it. So I just say yes even though I don't technically play it now, I could very easily learn it in a day or so. I just translate their question to mean "could" I play the song, rather than do I play it. (I guess I could technically play ANY song if I took the time to learn it, but I only say yes to songs I could learn quickly and easily and aren't above my skill level at the time). Don't know if it's honest or not, but if I took the question to mean "do you play it now?" I'd have to say no 99% of the time and I'd look like a loser. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

I don't think people deliberately overestimate themselves, they just perceive the truth differently. I know plenty of people who can play 'all Jimi Hendrix' songs. Well, I never knew all his songs use the same four chords. Did they lie to me? Nope, they probably seriously believe they can play all his songs. Unfortunately, such a blind perspective pretty much ruins any chance of improving. Which is why many guitarists don't just simply suck, even worse they aren't even aware of it.

i think those people auditioning for american Idol fall nicely into that group.Some scary stuff right there :shock:

someone ask's do i play well ?? i'd say no not really i suck most of the time.
it's almost what OWA was referring to the other day, about playing with people who don't really like youre music. If the people youre playing for/with can't relate/like your music they're not going to enjoy what you play. And it's usually greeted with the comment: Rudi that sucks dude - which i've had more than once BTW :D

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Anytime I suck out loud infront of people or they get bored I just play this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMEbQEixQbo (Mature Content)

Guaranteed crowd pleaser and easy to play.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

at last some lyrics i can remember :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

For a "softer" version as the party winds down, I suggest Warren Zevon's little ditty by the name of My Beep's Beeped Up ... same words and OWA's, but slightly more introspective -- title does not appear on the outside of the CD. Unfortunately, there are a few other words to learn. OTOH, no one will notice if you make those up instead of being true to the original (sorry Cnev :wink:).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yeah, I'm tempted to tell people I've only been playing for 25 years when it is really 30. :P I just have to live with the fact that some people will think .... 30 years and he sounds like that???? :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I don't exaggerate anything. I would rather play and someone be pleasantly surprised than play up how good I am and then they see that I really am not. I don't even tell most people that I play because I can only play a few songs and am such a beginner that I don't really consider myself a real player yet.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3