Notifications
Clear all

How do you pronounce Les Paul ?

54 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Yes, but, then, he'd have to pronounce the lot in French - Lay Pohl.

True enough, I didn't originally see the part about his whole name being different.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

P.S. Now seems like a good time to ask: how do you pronounce "geoo"?

Gee O

Given the capability to change it, I would. :( I am not familiar with Mary Ford or why she would know.. But I will take your word for it. :D Its LESS from now on for me. Sorry other fellas. But its still not Le Paul.. Least not outside of France.

Geoo
Sæmundr :?
Rage613 :shock:
Terrassi :oops:
dtp3803 :roll:
or you can just call me Jim :wink:

Mary Ford would know because she was Les's wife :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

100% serious :) How do you guys pronounce "Les" as in "Leslie", S or Z?

In many places in the US it depends on gender (no kidding): Girls with a "z"; guys with an "s"

In most place in the US Les Paul "less pawl," with some leeway on the accent (emphasis) and drawl, particularly on Paul. It's the guy's name, and that's how he pronounces it. I will grant it might sound better with an British accent (as spoken throughout Europe), but LP is from the US and suffers from our questionable Yank execution of the Queen's english.

"Le Paul" seems distinctly Frankish. Good for a French knock-off maybe ...

Don't think there are too many of the younger members here who would know that Mary Ford was LP's wife at one time and performing partner waaaaaaay back in the day when they were married.

(And for the record, Moog is "moge" ... not "mewg" or "muge" :wink: )

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Don't think there are too many of the younger members here who would know that Mary Ford was LP's wife at one time and performing partner waaaaaaay back in the day when they were married.

I have a real clear memory of a Les Paul & Mary Ford record being on a shelf in the basement of my parents house. The player was broke so I never heard it, but I saw it a lot.

I never played guitar back then though, so it didn't mean a whole lot to me at the time.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

100% serious :) How do you guys pronounce "Les" as in "Leslie", S or Z?

In many places in the US it depends on gender (no kidding): Girls with a "z"; guys with an "s"

In most place in the US Les Paul "less pawl," with some leeway on the accent (emphasis) and drawl, particularly on Paul. It's the guy's name, and that's how he pronounces it. I will grant it might sound better with an British accent (as spoken throughout Europe), but LP is from the US and suffers from our questionable Yank execution of the Queen's english.

"Le Paul" seems distinctly Frankish. Good for a French knock-off maybe ...

I am a girl and I say Les like Less. Honestly, if I ever heard someone say Lez Paul - I would think they were a female, possibly lesbian, cover band a la Lez Zeppelin. I also must say that I have certainly heard some questionable British execution of the Queen's language :wink: .

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I am a girl and I say Les like Less. Honestly, if I ever heard someone say Lez Paul - I would think they were a female, possibly lesbian, cover band a la Lez Zeppelin. I also must say that I have certainly heard some questionable British execution of the Queen's language :wink: .

Okay -- too funny. Not the sex/gender of who is pronouncing it, but the bearer of the name = boy's name or girl's name.

"Lezley" is a girl ... "Lessley" is a boy.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I just can't help myself her , there was a comedian many many years ago who sang a song about Liza Minelle

"It's Liza with a Z not Lisa with S cos Lisa with goes SSSSSSSSSS "

This has nothing to do with the original thread and just for the record it is pronounced the same way as the following words .

Les lie

Les bian

Les ter

Just my opinion

Hilch ( pronounced Hill -- ch ) CH as in ch ur ch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Great humoures replies.I am glad that i was correct.

My prize - .......Later i will tell you in September ( Hopefully ) :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ra-hool or ra-ool?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Ra-hool or ra-ool?
I think it's pronounced like Warren Zevon wanted it in "Werewolves of London" Ra-Hooooooooooooooooooool :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Ra-hool or ra-ool?
I think it's pronounced like Warren Zevon wanted it in "Werewolves of London" Ra-Hooooooooooooooooooool :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanx, i just spit coffee all over my keyboard :twisted:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ra-hool or ra-ool?

thanx, i just spit coffee all over my keyboard :twisted:
ROFLMAO!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

:oops: - sorry.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I see where your friend is coming from though Rahul. Les is a french form of the the word "The".

"Le" being masucline singular,

"La" being feminie singluar,

"L' " for words starting with vowels, and

"Les" for plural.

There are somg exceptions of course.

Even though, "Les" in french isn't pronounced as "Less", it's more like "lay".

Thats the only way I've ever heard people confuse it, by saying it like it was french, resulting in "Lay Paul".

Paul

You have hit it Paul ! (I re-read the thread and then it hit me.Hence this second post.)

He was saying it 'Lay'.Bad on my part to denote it as 'Le'.I am certainly going to give this link to him , if i ever meet him again. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Mary Ford was Les Paul's wife. She was pretty familiar with pronouncing his name.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4