100 Posts
37 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Vic Lewis said:

Oh well - looks like I need a Plan C!

Your story sounds too familiar. It's just that your wife is my husband. If this is really the case, then I wouldn't worry too much about a Plan C. Just try and be patient (I know it's tough), look like you've lost a dear friend, be extra helpful and lovey dovey, and things should look up for you very soon. Also, go on the computer when your wife is either out or asleep. :wink: Oh...

'Allo, Marilyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, Vic! :)

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Chris C. said:

"Writers write"

In other words, stop thinking about what you might do, what genre you might shine in, how many you'd sell, etc and just get on with banging some words out - every day.

Thanks much for your encouragement! Your advice is excellent and I think---no! I AM motivated to get started. I tend to be a perfectionist which allows me to do nothing since I know I can't do anything exactly as I'd like. So your words are (almost!) perfect for me. :) And I simply love the part about playing guitar in order to escape writing and vice versa. We must be related. :D

Thanks again, Chris, and have a wonderful day! :)

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Maybe I should look at the glass as being half full rather than half empty for once and try my hand at writing. It'd be great if I'd get published (I'd buy everyone a new guitar...everyone but CitiZenNoir, that is... :lol: )

LOL!!!!

Well, it would seem that you are paying me back for understanding your Orange Gretsch situation.

Now, I must thank you for understanding mine. :wink:

Just the thought alone that you would think of all of us upon your success is enough to make me happy.
And now, every time I see a guitar that I want - and don't get, I will smile and think of you :wink:

Though, I would love to have an autographed 1st edition hardcover copy of your book. :D

I did at one time have a rather large COLLECTION of books.
I have over time now, given most away.

I promise.... I would most certainly cherish yours forever :D :D :D :D

Ken

ps,
Call me Ken.
(All my really close friends in Ill. call me Kenny 8) )

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Your story sounds too familiar. It's just that your wife is my husband.

Wow! I've had my suspicions SOMETHING was going on but..........I'll look at those "days out shopping" in a completely different light now.......!!!!!

Good luck with the writing!

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

An autographed 1st edition hardcover copy?????? That doesn't seem very Zen-like to me. How 'bout a used paperback w/ the front cover ripped off and a "stamp" of my sig??? :lol:

Glad I made ya laugh, Ken! But if my forthcoming book is as huge a success as I'm predicting, I insist upon buying you something. Your orange Gretsch understanding is worth a lot to me. Have you ever heard of a book called "Zen Guitar?" You WROTE it??????? OK...never mind. :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Hahahaha, Vic!!!! If that's not cause for a guitar acquisition, what is????? Now you've got her (???).

Thanks for the laugh and the well wishes! :)

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

An autographed 1st edition hardcover copy?????? That doesn't seem very Zen-like to me. How 'bout a used paperback w/ the front cover ripped off and a "stamp" of my sig??? :lol:

Glad I made ya laugh, Ken!

8) 8) 8) 8)

Yes yes,
I have several 1st edition paperbacks from the 50's (Kerouac, Bill Bast....) in just that type of condition.
And I love them just the same :D

Ken :wink:

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I've considered writing a book about my adventures (and my hubby has really encouraged me to do so), but I'm afraid that most of the world wants to hear the trashy parts of groupie life! I have to say that I've never so much as kissed anyone on the cheek in order to meet them, but I'd consider myself a groupie alright! How exciting would that be to read, though??? In a world where people seem more interested in whether or not Britney wears panties or Lindsey will get actual jail time than how many people died in Iraq today, I'm afraid my stories would be a bit boring!

Believe it or not, I woke up today thinking about your book.
So I'm pretty sure that it is destiny that you write it.

I do agree with a lot of what Chris said.

For me, when I started playing guitar, I was AWFUL!!!!
The same with writing.
Though the more you write, the better you get.

And, also like guitar playing,
I copped a LOT of my favorite authors writing styles in the early days. (Okay, early YEARS)
I do have my very own style now, though I will (Like any good bluesman), dip into my favorite authors bag of tricks and
sprinkle their influence liberally throughout the pages.

As Chris quoted - Writers write.
Quite true.
That's really all there is to it.
I'm a huge Hemingway fan.
Especially when he was an Ex-Patriot living in Paris in the 1920. (A struggling, broke, unknown author with a new wife,
a baby, and a cat living in Paris - in the 20's!!!! What could be better :D )
Anyway, as he stuggled to produce writings and support his new family, he came up with a maxim to get him started writing
each day....
All you have to do is to write one true sentence.

And, well... We all know what happened after that.

As far as blank pages go....
I know what Chris is saying,
Though I rather look at them in a more Eastern sense:
There's nothing better than a clean, virginal, blank sheet of paper.
Full of promise and hope.
It's capable of going anywhere, it's potential is unlimited.
As has been said (by Chris I believe), it's the journey that matters, not the destination.

One of my favorite writers is Ken Kesey.
He had an old 30's Harvester bus that he painted day-glo colors in the 60's and travelled the country (the U.S.) in.
The destination sign on front read - FURTHUR

As for the writing of a memoirs style book....
To be quite honest, that's what I woke up thinking about.
And it didn't really come together for me that way.
Though, I must admit....
After reading what Chris said pertaining to it being writen memoir style, I could really visualize it.

I don't know if you wanna write it as factual reportage, or if you wanna do something more creative, like a novel with it....?

I was thinking more like each encounter as a short story - together comprising a whole book.
As you were saying, that you felt that since there was no 'sensationalism' involved, I was thinking that there must be
some sort of 'hook' to each story.

A device that Hunter S. Thomson used quite frequently was to take a true story (one that he had been 'involved' in - which
made his reporting subjective rather than objective), twist the truth slightly, and then at the end....
No matter how outrageous and crazy the story got,
he would have what he and Jan Wenner would call - "The Wisdom".

The Wisdom was a sobering end to a crazy story that would impart what was learned and gathered from the unreal experience that he had just gone through.
Sometimes, a loss was encountered.... Triggering the Wisdom.

Like Chris said of his wishing to know more detail of your encounter with Roy Buchanan...
I too wanted more.
And I went so far as to make up my own version of what happened based on the little I knew of Roy's personality.
(I must say that I changed the Knife at least 4 times - funny that Chris brought that up.)
When you actually did relate the details, they were so far from how I visualized, I couldn't believe it.
Which just goes to show how much we need you to share your stories with us.

The underlying theme to that encounter seemed to be with you both struggling with alcoholism.
I was thinking then, that could be "The Wisdom" ending to that story.

Just some thoughts.

If you wish to PM me about this,
I'd be very receptive to a discussion about writing :D

Either way you go with it - Best of Luck
And I'm sure I'll love it.

Ken :wink:

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Quite simply, Ken, Chris and others, I am overwhelmed at your support on the topic of writing. Especially since this is a guitar (musical instrument) forum!

I can't help but feel that a) I'm meant to write this book, or that b) you guys just want me busily writing elsewhere. Leave it to me to make something negative out of your comments and encouragement. :wink:

OK. I'm gonna get this thing going. Right after I play some guitar...but which one??? Hmmm...and what effects might I use today??? This could be time-consuming...decisions, decisions...

:D :D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, go for it.

My wife (who was a bit of a groupie herself back in the '70s) loves to read that stuff, so I'll be in line for one of your books. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7