Notifications
Clear all

How Music Works

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

First off, Joe those were excellent. Thanks for posting the link.

Second, what theory book(s) would anybody recommend that would cover similar ground in maybe more detail and with notation (and perhaps accompanying audio examples)? Something more than the really basic "theory for stupid people" type books?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

If you guys are using Firefox there' a firefox plugin that you can use, just click on it and a link will pop up under the imbed stuff in you tube. It saves it as an html, but jut rename it .mp4 and it will work. I do it all the time.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Thanks for that. So is a "divx compatible dvd player" mainly for use in a computer drive or is it something that you would use with a regular home TV setup? And what's the quality like when Youtube stuff is converted back again and played at a full screen size? Does that work well enough to be worth viewing, or do you need to keep the size down?

Cheers,

Chris
The players hook up to your TV. In addition to playing conventional DVDs, they play mp3s and CDs and various media formats like avis. Mine is made by LG and it's been great.

As far as picture quality of the youtube grabs, it's fantastic!...if you have a 13" television. :lol:
It's admittedly not great; soft and pixel-ly on my 27" TV, but the sound quality is passable.
From youtube, I tend to grab things like guitar lessons; the image quality isn't much of a concern with them and it's a real treat to go through a lesson from the comfort of the couch rather than sitting in my office chair at the computer.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

As far as picture quality of the youtube grabs, it's fantastic!...if you have a 13" television. :lol:
It's admittedly not great; soft and pixel-ly on my 27" TV, but the sound quality is passable.
From youtube, I tend to grab things like guitar lessons; the image quality isn't much of a concern with them and it's a real treat to go through a lesson from the comfort of the couch rather than sitting in my office chair at the computer.
:)
:mrgreen:

Thanks for all the extra info Boxboy. Sounds like a good way to watch lessons, etc, and I think I've even got an old 13" TV out in the shed somewhere..... :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Well, I can't say enough about this series. I'm on Bass Part 4, with just Part 5 to go to finish the series. Probably the best of the series is Harmony; Bass is a close second. I actually learned some things about chords and scales in that 40ish minutes of Harmony. They were "ah ha! OK, I get it!" moments. :D

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I caught some of this on Chanel 4 last year and actually asked my wife to get it on DVD for me for my birthday, which of course she couldn't, so a massive thanks for posting this. I will have a good watch over the coming weeks.

As someone else has said though, what a good presenter - I think I could watch any topic Howard chose to present. I reckon that if they did put his shows on DVD they would sell, they'd just be a slow burn while word got around.

Enough waffle - thanks for the links.

Rich.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Hey, thanks for the link just watched the melody part, very good look forward to watching the rest. Bridge over troubled water is one of the most powerful (and difficult, to sing anyway) tunes I've heard.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2