Clear all

How musical is your family?

44 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Great thread Chris.

Nothing. Not a bit. Not even the slightest interest. Heck, I can list off my folk's album collection. Dad had one, and Mom had two. Mom's were not until much later in my childhood though. Funny thing though, is they both grew up with parents & aunts/uncles who did the parlor thing. Piano, banjo, guitar, home-made instruments, etc. I've got 2 parents and 14 aunts and uncles. One of them played flute for a little while. That's it.

One time I asked for and got a guitar for Axemas. Nice little kid's accoustic thing. Woo-hoo. No instruction book, no lessons, no direction, didn't even know where to start, etc. (I'll leave it at that. Plenty more to THAT story, but it comes off as bitter. I would have made more music by shoving an ice cream cone up my butt.)

<rant time> Folks, I keep hearing on this and other threads. People would like to play with their kid(s), but they don't share the same musical tastes. I'll try to say this really nicely as to not offend some of my GN family, but does it matter about musical tastes? Adjust. You want a memory that will last a lifetime, or you wanna pluck out the same old Neil Young songs? Before you know it, they'll be off living their lives and the highlight of your week will be a good bowel movement. The time is now. Don't mess up your chance. The moments will bring teers to your eyes.

I've seen the huge smiles coming from my son after playing together. Think either of us will ever forget? We found some common ground, some in his direction and some in mine. Heck, even mama is joining in on the skins now. I'm starting week about week 7 of having a migraine. What's the one thing I miss the most? Playing music with my son (and my wife too). (number 2 I miss is my motorcycle....sniff.)

And to you kids out there that are reading this, it goes for you too. I've seen the same comments on this forum coming from the youth. Find the middle ground. It won't be long before you're warming up baby forumla and ol Pop is running around in a black socks & sandals ensemble.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Amen rparker on playing with your kids. Fortunately, my oldest and I share a lot of the same tastes and it looks like my youngest is going to follow the same road (he's 10 and only has 3 CDs he asked me to make for him: The Beatles, The Ramones and Jimi Hendrix). We do need to get off our butts and learn a few songs so we can play with my grandfather (he plays pedal steel). That opportunity won't last forever.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I have no musical relatives. My Grandma used to play for her church back in the 30s or 40s but thats it. My second cousin, once removed is a professional (and somewhat successful) neo-classical/jass pianist. On that side of the family there is another one of my relatives that used to be involved in the northwest alternative scene until he got into heroin. Hes quit now (and a born-again Christian) but he still plays guitar. Other than that no one. My cousin is starting to play some (hes very good for the year or two hes been playing). My dad also wants me to teach him how to play. He never has the time though.

That my story.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm, wonder how that ice cream cone thing would work?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

My mom is a trained Carnatic Musician (vocalist). Dad's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Carnatic Music although he only listens to it :)

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

That's my relatives on my mother's father's side, the guy on the bottom right is Dr John Sharp, my Grandfather x 4 or 5, the grey haired guy in the middle is Granville Sharp, he was very prominent in the anti slave abolitionist movement. Dr J Sharp is very well respected in the NOrth of England, started the first ship rescue and related matters, was an Archdeacon, his Grandfather was Archbishop of York.
ANyway to the music, this portrai is by the artist Zoffany and it's in the National Portrait Gallery in LOndon - apparently the Sharp family would float down the Thames every second week on their barge called the Apollo and entertain Londoners with their ensemble, pretty cool me thinks! Just of historical interest.
As for recent rels, my Uncle used to perform in the local musicals, light opera, that sort of thing :D

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Mom played the accordion and my aunt Kate played the sax in the high school band. Grandma had a radio show playing the Hammond organ back in the late 30's, early 40's. Her radio name was "Toots", we always called her Grandma Toots. We didn't know that she even played until about 1980 mom got a piano and grandma sit down and started to play like she never quit 8) No know talent on my dads side of the famdamnally

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

All my uncles on my dads side play guitar and my dad used to play guitar to but now he can't play due to the steel plate in his arm and on my moms side my great grandma played panio and my moms uncle played panio to and my cusin play guitar in a band but i dont think he play's anymore so I gess I have a musical backround

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Dog, those are great pictures!!

I have NO influences in my immediate family. My 1st cousin (freshman in high school)is a pretty good aspiring electric guitar player who is actually into Hendrix and classic rock (cool!). I had him do some yardwork around my house last year and gave him money so he could buy a new electric (tricked out Korean Hamer- great guitar). Other than him I am alone in a sea of poor whistling, out-of-tune humming (yes, it is possible), uncoordinated drumming, and general noise.

My wife's brother plays the bongos, but really we don't appear to be musically inclinded. Perhaps that's why I struggle so much!!!!

Anyway, the kids seem to really be into music (only 2 and 4, but a father can tell) and I hope to get them into lessons soon. My 2 year-old son may be the second coming of Bonzo.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

My mother plays guitar, and my younger brother plays piano, saxophone, and oboe. And maybe something else, I don't remember. I played trombone briefly in middle school band, then gave it up in high school, and only at the age of 26 picked up a guitar. I don't know how I managed to never pick up my mother's guitar when I was a kid...

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

<rant time> Folks, I keep hearing on this and other threads. People would like to play with their kid(s), but they don't share the same musical tastes. I'll try to say this really nicely as to not offend some of my GN family, but does it matter about musical tastes? Adjust. You want a memory that will last a lifetime, or you wanna pluck out the same old Neil Young songs? Before you know it, they'll be off living their lives and the highlight of your week will be a good bowel movement. The time is now. Don't mess up your chance. The moments will bring teers to your eyes.
This is excellent advice by the way!
I was once told by my sons friends that I was the worlds oldest punk. I think that was a compliment for my rendition of "Dump Weed". :lol: I am lucky though, my son is hooked on classic rock and metal. 8) I will play just about anything though.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well ray,

As far as playing with your kids goes, that has been difficult for me to get going. My oldest daughter is a really good singer and I've always thought we would do something together but we haven't hooked up yet. Well we did have a big jam last year at Christmas time and she and my other daughter sang a bit but there were about 7 other musicians there so it wasn't just me and her.

I play for the most part classic rock(if you call it playing), she has no interest in singing classic rock or at least the songs I know. She plays guitar also but doesn't know/play any cover songs. All of the music she sings/plays is what she has done herself. She doesn't know an A chord from a D chord and plays by ear but has some really cool tunes. I guess I could sit with her someday to try and figure out the chords she's playing and then work out something to go along with it. But with her work and school and everything else there isn't much time for that.

There may be hope though, her boyfriend plays in a punk band now but he wants her to start a cover band. they already have a drummer and guitar and bass so they are all set to go. She doesn't want to sing "guy" songs so they are going to do stuff like Blondie, Heart, Joan Jett, maybe Evanescence (to me she sounds alot like Amy Lee from Evanescence).

Anyway I'm hoping that I'll get to jam with them sometime and finally get to play with her before I die.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

To be able to play with my kids would be a dream come true. I'm teaching myself Green Day - Jesus of Suburbia because my son said he has an interest in learning it. Thought this would be a good way to connect. He doesn't play guitar yet but maybe this could be his start.

My daughter plays on her Yamaha keyboard now and again. I jump in on my guitar whenever I get the chance. But she always gives me that look...like I just messed up her mojo. Here's a sample I posted earlier this past summer...The Sqealy Pig Song

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I feel for you guys! My sons bass heroes are .... hold on, I'll ask him. Top 5 OK? John Entwisle, Paul McCartney, Gene Simmons, Terry Butler (Geezer), Rudy Sarzo. Sorry, but eat your colective hearts out! 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3