Clear all

Hoyt Axton

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just got Hoyt Axton's "Flashes of Fire," a "Best Of" collection, principally to hear the original of "The Pusher." There are also his versions of several other hits covered by Steppenwolf and Three Dog Night, like "Snowblind Friend," "Never Been to Spain," and "Joy to the World." And a bunch of his less well known originals, among which are some terrific songs! I'm having a great time listening, and getting inspiration. I can see myself working on some covers. As for "The Pusher," I find his version a lot more raw and shocking than Steppenwolf's. The slide down on the bass string is run through some of the raunchiest, rudest sounding distortion, likely involving a slit or torn speaker cone. His imprecation for the damnation of the pusher is a primal scream. Powerful stuff.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

OK... this has nothing to do with Hoyt, but it does have to do with "The Pusher Man", so it's slightly relevant, I think. :?

When I was in about the 6th or 7th grade (whenever Steppenwolf released the single with "The Pusher Man" on one side and "Born To Be Wild" on the second side), I bought the single specifically for "Born To Be Wild", completely oblivious to what was on the flip side. A friend of mine borrowed it and took it home and played it (both sides) for her mother. :shock: The very next day she brought it back to school and told me that her mother wouldn't let her hang out with me anymore because of the song "The Pusher Man". She was afraid I was going to try to get her daughter into drugs just because that song was on the flip side of the single!!!!!! She obviously didn't listen to the lyrics, jumped to an unfair conclusion and ended a friendship because of her narrow mindedness.

:|

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Cool, Ric. I was on a Hoyt Axton jag back in the spring. He wrote some great songs. One that stands out is the theme from the movie, 'Buster and Billie'; gorgeous melody.
Did you ever see 'The Black Stallion'? Beautiful movie and he was great as the little kid's father in it.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

. . . . I'm having a great time listening, and getting inspiration. I can see myself working on some covers. . . . .
I already have a request then,
Poncho and Lefty.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I discovered Hoyt Axton back in the late 70's. a great song writer. haven't heard his name in years and years.
enjoy Hoyt!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

When I was a kid, someone slipped into the school office and put Steppenwolf's version of "Pusher" on a turntable played over the school intercom. Didn't get too far into it before we heard a big ZZZRRRRKKK and it went off. The perp got in big trouble, as I recall. People focus on two words out of context, freak about that, and don't really get the message. That's why I can't publicly play or record it myself. My church friends would never understand.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

. . . . I'm having a great time listening, and getting inspiration. I can see myself working on some covers. . . . .
I already have a request then,
Poncho and Lefty.

Hoyt does a pretty good cover himself. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm surprised Hoyt's not better known as a performer than he is. He does a mighty fine job of performing all these songs he's written!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Well, wherever those two are now, I bet they're making good music.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Someone should write a song about that! :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Someone should write a song about that! :wink:
I think it's a Kenny Chesney song that has the lyrics,
:note1: "Everybody wanna go to heaven but nobody wanna go now." :note2:
:mrgreen:

ReplyQuote