Clear all

Humidity Levels

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just had the HVAC systems in the house replaced and can now regulate to some extent, the humidity. More specifically, I can reduce it to whatever level I desire. This is a good thing here in the U.S. Mid-Atlantic and South-Eastern U.S. regions for comfort purposes. I'm currently fiddleing with settings to come up with an optimum comfort level, but was wondering on a side note what is desirable for the various guitar types. (Acoustic - semi's - solid bodies, etc)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I know safe humidity levels are close to 50%. that was our target in the museum. if that level is perfect for paintings and artwork on paper, then I assume it is safe for our instruments.
I know that at humidity levels above 50% and temperatures above the 70's can create an environment for mold to grow.
well, for the most part, mold is not a typical issue for instruments in our homes. low and high humidity is. so somewhere in between low and high should be the target for you. like 50%.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh good. That's also what one of the guys preset mine for yesterday. Seems like 50's good all the way around. Certainly feels decent in here and the system isn't contantly on. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

40-50% is a commonly quoted number.

But the other big part of the humidity issue is trying to keep it from changing dramatically.
Which your new HVAC system should help with.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yeah, like all have said. 45% is the target, and is my target, though I will accept 45 - 65% and I work on that with a dehumidifier now, when we're reading 85%. And in the winter @ 25%, I have to install humidifiers in the acoustics' cases.

However acoustics are most important, affected or susceptible to change and that includes breaking and cracking, warping, raised top, sunken top, all kinds of bad. Put a plastic ruler across the top occasionally to see where you're at, got a flat top?

Most semis are laminated so they are not too finicky, and solid bodies can withstand more abuses, but necks and frets are always a concern - I don't like sharp fret ends sticking out in dry indoor climes. Anyway, the main point which catches all is, "treat all the same!" :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That system must be just the ticket down there. It gets hot in the summer.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote