Clear all

I got asked to join a band!

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

A friend of a friend has a progressive rock band and while they have a singer he doesnt like the sound of his voice. So they have asked me if I wanted to sing for them. Prog rock isnt my thing and I would have to learn their originals so I said I would thing about it. Any advice? Any idea what to expect if I join?

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it's been my experience that if you don't respect the music and don't see any potential, it's just going to be an awful drag.
if you're unsure, though, there's no harm in dipping your toes in the water and seeing if it'll grow on you. by joining a band, you change the sound by default, and sometimes that can become something really cool.
it depends a lot on the other people in the band. if you like them and there's mutual respect, you may very well find common ground. if not, then it's like going to work at a tedious job.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

If I was in your situation and asked to join a band that plays a style that I'm not really a fan of, I think I would tell them that while I don't play or sing in that perticular style, I'd at least be willing to sit in on a few practice sessions to see whether or not it's for me.

I've been playing for about 10 years now and one thing I've noticed is that, although when I started playing I was mostly interested in only one type of music, my musical tastes have certainly grown because of being open to different sounds.

However, if you really don't enjoy it then I would be completely honest and tell them it's not for you. The band will be much happier if you tell them after a few practice sessions rather than months or even years down the road.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

A friend of a friend has a progressive rock band and while they have a singer he doesnt like the sound of his voice. So they have asked me if I wanted to sing for them. Prog rock isnt my thing and I would have to learn their originals so I said I would thing about it. Any advice? Any idea what to expect if I join?

Depends. One thing I do know from experience is that playing a genre is whole lots more fun than listening to it. Besides, to paraphrase Billy Joel:

Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk
It's still rock and roll to me.

Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways
It's still rock and roll to me

Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well everything comes down to a compromise anyway so you'll just have to decide if it's the right fit. The music might be the easy part once you get involved in the band you'll have to deal with all the other "stuff" that goes on.

I thought about it a little more and personally I would go with your gut feeling and if you are having reservations for what ever reason then maybe I'd skip it unless you really have nothing better to do that night.

Is there a possibility it would work out..sure anything is possible but if they are playing progressive rock and your passion is doing something a little heavier etc then it will take a lot of change from either you or the rest of the band to embrace the changes and speaking from a bit of experience dealing with bandmates for a couple years now it's not easy to change anyone.

I also auditoned as a singer in a band a couple years ago and I have no illusions that I am a singer of any type but I let this guy (one of the members here) talk me into going and trying. I had reservations right from the beginning but strangely enough I really didn't have any fear of singing for these strangers. But it went down pretty much as I expectd. I didn't blow them away when they heard me sing it was mediocre at best a couple were decent a few more needed work and then a couple train wrecks or songs that I couldn't hit the notes. They played covers but they weren't playing by the book so all the changes were not always where you'd expect so that was a bit of a problem plus many of them I really didn't know well enough to sing. They never called me back but I wouldn't have went back either I didn't really like any of the music the played ecept for a couple songs.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm in the "dip your tows in" catagory on this one. If it turns out you are correct, you'll never look back and wonder. If it turns out that you were not correct, you'll be forever grateful to yourself that you tried it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I'm with Uncle Roy on this one. I say, jump in with both feets and get totally soaking progressively wet. Age has taught me one thing. That is, I should have said yes to more things in my lifetime. Taken more chances and experienced more. Go for it. It you don't like it, you'll know soon enough.

BTW...Congrats!

"The object of life is not to cross the finish line safely, but to slide across sideways, battered and bleeding,
bike smoking and leaking, screaming "YEEHAWWW, Lets do it again!""
- Uncle Roy Parker. DBA, Musician Extraordinaire and all around nice guy.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your input everyone. Interesting points on both sides. Normally I would give it a shot but have decided not to for the time being. I just learned I might have a child on the way so that has the most of my attention.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

COngrats there! If you do, you'll have to teach'im play drums!

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Are congrats in order, I hope? Best wishes tom you and child. just thing. A human you get to help mold into a little OWA-GS version. Best of luck!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone. I might give it a go if the offer is on the table later on. Too much on my mind to do it now. Already got half the world bugging me to tie the knot now when there is no such thing as marriage in my religion.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

go to vegas and get married by an elvis impersonator. i don't think that's in anyone's religion.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Hang in there- no longer entirely on topic, but I know it's rough when others start to stick their noses in your marital affairs...stick to what YOU want to do, and you'll be fine.

Again, Hang in there.

Ande

ReplyQuote