Clear all

I have never touches a guitar

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kang9011)
Topic starter  

Hi
I have never touched a guitar in my life?
Can you recommend me good electric and classical guitars that will be good for me as a newbie and a pro?
Also should i learn guitar at home by myself or have lessons?

(@davidhodge)

You'll find more than enough recommendations in the "I'm looking for a new..." page of the forum. You'll find it right underneath the "Opinions and Polls" section on the Index page.

As for taking lessons or learning on your own, a quick look through just about any page of the forum section brings up that particular topic and you'll find a lot of different opinions about it. If you've never picked up a guitar before, getting a teacher or even taking a group class would probably be a wise start.

Good luck! And welcome to Guitar Noise, by the way.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

As far as taking lessons or teaching yourself, it's really your preference. But taking lessons never hurt anyone and can definately give you that nudge towards what you hope to sound like. Personally, I try to use any and all sources to learn guitar: internet, books, instructional movies, lessons, friends, etc.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Welcome! I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, except this:

There probably isn't a guitar out there that is good for both a beginner and a pro. It is like asking for a car that is gets great gas mileage and also can run in a NASCAR event. Beginners and pros are (obviously) not in the same league, and their guitar needs are much different. Beginner guitars are usually in the $100-300 range, while a pro's guitar is normally $1,000 and up. No need for a beginner to spend $1,000 - yet. You should look for a good beginner/intermediate guitar - there are lots of suggestions on this board in the spots cited above. Once you get a year or more under your belt, then you might want to think about a higher end guitar.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Beginners need the same as pros. So regardless of skill, get the best guitar you can afford with sound and playability you like best.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

With all respect Arjen, that advice to a brand new player will make him/her go out and spend much more than they need to spend to get started. I agree that it is not great if a beginner gets a bad guitar - poorly made & hard to play. But there are really decent guitar for not much cash - like the Squier 51. $99 for a decent guitar, which is more than adequate for a beginner.

What if Kang does spend as much as he can afford and finds out after a month or two that he doesn't like playing guitar? Kang should get a decent beginner level guitar - with a little help searching, he can find a pretty good one for well under $200. Let's not tell beginners to spend their life savings, until guitar becomes their life!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Í'm adressing his comment that the guitar should be good for both pros and beginners. That suggest that beginners need different guitars, which is obviously not the case. I assume that one wouldn't mention the pro part unless he is either confident he will not give up or the guitar will also be used by another guitarist. In both cased the answer should be to get the best you can afford. And with 'can afford' I do not mean 'theoretically possible', I don't expect him to sell his house for his first guitar. Bottom-line: if you can get hold of $300, don't get a $100 guitar 'because you're just a beginner'. So to rephrase my suggestion: get the best guitar you can within the financial range you allowed yourself, based on your past and current financial situations and future expectations.

By the way, and I know this sounds mean: if anyone goes out and spends a, to him/her, significant ammount of money on a guitar it's his responsibility to think about whether he really wants that. If someone buys a Fender custom shop guitar and quits after a week he's simply lacking character and wisdom. That could be considered a $5000 reminder of why people are born with brains, maybe he'd learn and earn that back during the rest of his life.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

CFB and Arjen, I agree with both of you...

I think the biggest problem to new players is finding that first guitar. When I bought my first guitar I set a limit of £100 and went to see a guy in a store that a mate recommended. The guy tried to sell me a £150 guitar - he said "if you can afford this its a better guitar, a solid top". I didn't know if he was right or just rying to make more money, so I bought the £99 one. 10 months later, when I thought I knew more....., I tried lots of guitars and bought a Taylor 314 for nearly £1,000. I do still love this guitar, but....a few months ago I wanted a guitar that I'd be happier taking to parties and letting others play. So I bought a Vintage (Chinese brand) Jumbo electro acoustic for £169. I play the JUmbo just as often, maybe more often, than the Taylor. So, had I bought it first, would I have bought the Taylor? I honestly don't know.

On the way home from work tonight I stopped in a guitar store and played a Garrison dreadnought (ticket £250) and a Faith jumbo (ticket £339). Both were very good, in fact I loved the Faith - beautiful to look at, great sound, set up well.

Anyway, getting to the point (at last!), I think there are excellent acoustic guitars out there from £169 up to £969 and probably either side as well. But I only know this because I can play a little bit.

My advice to new players - take someone with you who you trust and buy the best guitar in your price-range, which very probably isn't the most expensive one in your price range.

Failing that, try and buy a used guitar from someone off this website, chanes are they won't steer you wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi
I have never touched a guitar in my life?
Can you recommend me good electric and classical guitars that will be good for me as a newbie and a pro?
Also should i learn guitar at home by myself or have lessons?

Don't sweat too much on getting the choice perfectly right.

I've never met a competent player who chose so well the first time that they were able to stick with the one guitar for the rest of their playing life. It never happens. :wink: If you stick with playing guitar you will buy more. Probably lots more….

Buy a reasonably priced starter guitar. Don't go too cheap or too expensive – either way you'll waste money.

It might sound logical to buy the very best you can afford – but it usually isn't. Here's why:

1. There's a big range of makes, types and styles of guitar. As a beginner you don't yet know which will suit you best – rhythm or lead, jazz or rock, acoustic or electric, a mixture of styles and techniques – or …. The possibilities go on and on. You can't buy one guitar – no matter how much you pay – that will be perfect for everything. So don't try.

2. When you start out you simply don't have the ear or the feel to tell the difference between a good guitar and one with flaws. You can spend a lot of money on a big name and still get a mediocre instrument or one that's actually OK but just not right for you. Don't spend the big money until you know why you're doing it, and can tell the difference yourself by playing it - without looking at the price tag. 8)

When you buy your first guitar you will be at the mercy of somebody else's advice – either a friend, a salesman, a review, or a combination of all of them. So read, listen and take note. But, out of the ones they suggest, buy the one you fall in love with when you hold it and try to play - for whatever reason. You'll need a combination of good advice and a touch of irrational love to carry you through the first months. :)

So, avoid the real cheap stuff, but don't waste your money on a high priced guitar until you know what you want, why you want it, and can tell the difference for yourself. And always keep saving for the next one, because you'll surely want it...

And DO budget for at least a few lessons, even if it's only a handful to get you going. You can waste a lot of time making basic errors and more time again trying to unlearn bad habits. You can learn pretty much everything from books and websites, and experimentation. But you still can't beat having a friendly and experienced eye checking you out from time to time.

Good luck, and have a good journey. :D

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

CHRISSSSS!!!!! :D :shock: :D

Where have you been mate? Welcome back.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Thanks Nick. I'm touched to be remembered. :oops:

I've been...um... practising... :cool:

Actually, it's been rather a busy year on a number of fronts. Mostly non-musical stuff, but I did divert into learning the clarinet as well as keeping up the guitar.

And I turned 20 last month too (for the third time, you understand... :wink: ) so at 3x20 years I now devote a fair bit of time to just trying to remember what the heck I'm supposed to be doing today... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Nick. I'm touched to be remembered. :oops:

I saw "Chris_C" as the poster and did a double take! :o It is you! :D Welcome back Chris! Happy belated birthday too. Quite a few of us had birthdays last month. 8) See you around! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Look through the recommendations in the forum "I'm Looking for a New..."

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey Chris, good to hear from you :D Hows the banjo playing coming.--ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I havn't been around for the past week or so, so:

WELCOME BACK CHRIS. You're humour has been missed over the past year.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote