Skip to content
I met Yngwie J. Mal...

Notifications
Clear all

I met Yngwie J. Malmsteen! (scary long!)

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
14.3 K Views
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

(I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LITERATURE LAYOUT. I HAVE TRIED TO FIX THE DOUBLE SPACINGS FOR HOURS. TRULY SORRY!)

The day was October 13th, 2008. I skipped a day of school to head down towards Hollywood, CA in anticipation to watch my guitar hero, a true influence, finally be inducted in Guitar Center's Hollywood Rock-Walk event placing Yngwie J. Malmsteen in with all the other highly recognized guitar gods of this century. After making the decision to skip a very important school day, I felt regret on my way down. Yngwie Malmsteen Artist Series Fender Stratocaster thrown in the car, and an old 80's Steeler album of his I send my hopes of an autograph to god himself. As I printed out the usual map-quest, and rounded up some spare cash (I'm in college; no money) I grabbed my girl-friend and we made a day out of it. Seeing as Hollywood is only about 2 hours from me, it was nothing. Since yngwie has been my long loved hero, my girl-friend has heard so much about him that she has earned a level of respect for him as well. In fact, we had just came from his House of Blues, Anahiem Perpetual Flame tour a week earlier so October was Yngwie month! :D Some people think he is an arrogant prick, which he is, but theres just a part of me that finds a true musical passion with his work. As you might feel towards your hero. I am not interested in him just for his mindless shredding at times. It is simply the astounding ability he has with classical composition, and such a rich melodic soloing sense. But, I'll move on, this is not a story of who vs who. Continuing on down the road we took the infamous Sunset, Blvd and made our way down to Guitar Center. Luckily, we were there about an hour early, which put us about the 5th person on the fence. The beautiful red carpet headed into Guitar-Center's main doors, with golden posts and red felt ropes guarding off the V.I.P. section. A podium stood tall, next to a table with what seemed covered in concrete mixing supplies.

I quickly shuffled, and realized I lacked the Yngwie Strat! I handed the Steeler album to my girlfriend, and darted back to the car. I came back Dimarzio Yngwie Cheetah strap and all, to what surprised me a crowed of different guys who must have shown up while I was gone. Sure enough, the beauty of the guitar was destined to bring attention like a pretty out-of-town girl in farmville, pennsylvania. I actually heard of few guys exlaim, "Woah, Oh my god LOOK!" I felt special. Even though it wasn't myself that deserved the attention anyways, shes my pride and joy! At least my $1,600 worth. Yep, as ridiculous as it seems, I would never take her out of her humidifed case in public for just anybody. Yngwie Malmsteen is the only person I would sacrifice her condition for. Anyways, enough with the gayness. A few minutes past, which was actually about an hour before the crowd started pouring in. I couldn't feel more satisfied with my spot. Yngwie strat, hanging around my neck, in full sights of the man himself. I honestly had felt more then appreciative just to be so close to him. Most of the time, a part of me has trouble recognizing celebrities as people. For some reason, I feel they are higher. This wasn't just some celebrity. In fact, to the world of gossip magazines, he wouldn't even be a "D" Lister. This still doesn't change the feeling I got being within 10 feet of my hero. As the Malmsteen music flowed out of the PA system, the press arrived, and the day rolled on we grew more and more desperate for his appearance. We all did. Well, it began. Dave Weiderman, Director of the Rock-Walk stepped out onto the podium to introduce himself and all of the people who had filled the V.I.P. section behind him. Guitarist of Rob Zombie, Paul Marshall (Jim Marshall's Son), The CEO of Fender Musical Instruments, Associates of Yngwie's Record Label company, etc. He carried on with an excellent speech of the history of Hollywood's Rock-Walk, the greats that have been inducted, and how proud everyone is to accept Yngwie into the Hall of Fame. After Dave's speech, Paul Marshall took the stand. He thanked everyone for supporting Yngwie, and stated Yngwie's long belonging to Marshall Amplifiers. After a few others went about their speech, the grand finale approached. I couldn't help but focus more on those tall doors where he awaits. However there was yet another highly respected suprise guest. Dave stood to the podium, and stated, "Last but certainly not least, the best person we could possibly have to introduce the man himself, April Malmsteen, and Yngwie's Son Antonio!" This goddess herself, stepped out of the doors, and headed down the red carpet to the podium. Her son by herside, she took the stage, surrounded by cheer, and began to discuss a short history of Yngwie's life. After another excellent speech, the time had come. She said it herself, 'and here is the man himself!, Yngwie J. Malmsteen!' The rush of the crowd pushing closer and tighter towards the gates, the increasingly loud solo of Far Beyond the Sun, and out-came the musician. It was really an overall great feeling to see him at the same ground-level that my girlfriend and I were at. Everything seemed to have been rolling smoothly, and yet I couldn't wait to hear him give the speech however a short and truly unthoughtful speech was all that came forth. But, thats Yngwie I guess. He is definatly not someone to aknowledge to much other than himself. :roll: Of course, the longevity of his speech was nearly 3/4 short of everyone elses podium time. It had seemed all so rushed. After thanking us all, his fans, he moved futher into the well known process of the rock-walk's cementing of the hands. The cameras flashed, the crowd roared, and the whole event came to a surprisingly fast end. He cleaned his hands off, and saluted his fans and said thank you one last time.

My heart started to rush. The moment was finally here. The one and ONLY chance I've got to get an auto-graph! Reaching my Yngwie Strat out into the air, and in his clear sight, he turned down both my visable Signature Stratocaster of his, and his Steeler Album! Not just mine, yet everyone elses anticipated items. Carelessly, he just walked right back into Guitar center with his wife and kid. How rude we all thought I presume. There is even a video provided of this event on You-Tube linked down at the bottom where you can actually hear my girlfriend scream YNGWIE! at him in a desperate sense. It was so loud, that even Yngwie himself couldn't ignore it. No people, the SECOND she screamed his name, he looked back and saluted towards her. Chivalorus, and kind gesture yet still rude to ignore the fans that are the only reason why he is even there in the first place. Well, it all came to an end. The induction of my selfish hero was over. Heres the fun part. During the long wait for anything to take place before Yngwie's arrival, my girlfriend Tina and I had made quite the friends with a Body guard of his who had been walking around. I believe he was attracted to the Yngwie stratocaster in my hands, and made friendly conversation with us. Long story short, my girlfriend asked him if she could have the Yngwie J. Malmsteen V.I.P. Back-stage pass that he was wearing around his neck for memorabilia purposes. He obliged, and told us after the event he would be glad to give it to her. Well, he was a man of his word. Soon after the event came to an end, he approached Tina and I with the pass in hand. Being selfish, I just hung my head low and started to walk back to the car. Reassuring me, Tina exlaimed, 'Take the pass and go BACK there with the rest of them!' In denial, I thought it just wouldn't
work, so I continued on down the path. She continued to nag and say 'this is a once and a life time chance!' So I finally
mustered up the courage, threw the pass on and took the Yngwie strat with me, jumped over the little stairway to the press
booth, and headed in towards the guitar center. 2 body guards quickly approached me right at the door and said, 'Hey what
are you doing?' Luckily, one of them was the guy who gave me the V.I.P. pass, and couldn't get in trouble I assume, so he
said to the other one that I was allowed in. ' However theres one exception' he exlaimed. 'You can't bring anything in here
with you.' "Damn!" I thought. Well, I took the Yngwie strat back to my girlfriend at the fence, and watched the others stare
in jealousy. :twisted: Running down the red carpet that the man and his wife themselves did I felt an undescribable
feeling. 'It was actually going to happen.' 'I am actually going BACK-STAGE to see Yngwie!!!!!' Well, I walked past the doors,
and there he was. I truly could not believe it. Yngwie Malmsteen. Standing right there, leather, chains, hair and all. I
followed him around the room virtually shocked to approach him. V.I.P. pass gripped tightly in my hands, I chased him
around guitar center like a rat. I couldn't grasp a hold of what was actually happening. Slowly it all became real. I was
standing in the same room as the guitarist for Rob Zombie, Paul Marshall, The CEO of Fender, Yngwies wife, kid, and his
record company for god sakes. Standing in the largest guitar center I would soon come to realize that ive ever been in, was
such a blur with my solid focus on the celebrity status I had become. Yngwie seemed to bounce back and forth between
talking to his wife, to talking to other associates of the rock walk. Everywhere he went I could never develop the courage to
approach him. Plus, I felt rude to interupt him. All the while I was chasing him around, he finally just up and left. He darted
down into the "vintage" room of the guitar center. With the pure regret I would have had, I didnt stop there. I darted down
the steps after him. He had made it into the vintage room, and there he was. It all slowed down, and became a dream. He
was actually walking back, towards me. I had to do it. We were alone, about to pass eachother in the hallway. Out of no
where, I somehow blurted out, "Yngwie!" aloud and sure enough his eyes locked on with mine, and he began to focus his
walk-path towards me. He didnt seem so interested in me however, more interested in getting back up the steps towards
his wife I presume. Well I took all the advantage that I could, threw my hand out, and said "Huge Fan man,Congratulations!" He threw his hand out, in accordance and shook mine with a reply of, "Thank you,- Thank you" in his swedish accent. I didnt want to seem out of place, as the rest of the people in there seemed so careless that Yngwie was actually in the room so I carried on walking into the vintage room. I turned around and got a glimpse of him running up the stairs, and felt instant regret that I didn't talk more with him. So I darted back up the steps, and continued to follow him around, still afriad to interrupt him talking to others. As it all slowly came back to reality, I spent the remainder of my time trying to spot out Yngwie's Wife and kid throughout the crowd. As I looked around, it was to my stunning shock that they were standing right next to me! Litterally 2 feet from me. I could have just picked up his kid and ran out. :shock: The guitarist for Rob Zombie, Paul Marshall, I mean they were all there. Standing within 10 feet of me. No gates. No ropes. Nothing. Before I knew it, Yngwie had already managed his way back down the stairs into the vintage acoustic room to hold an interview with the press. He was in there, protected by a few body guards so I couldn't interupt. Well it doesnt end there folks. I started to think desperatly. I met him, yet how can I get him to autograph something! Well, I darted up the steps and outside to the gates of where the clinging fans stilled held stance. A few shouts of 'what happened?' 'is 'Yngwie coming back out?' etc. I spoke to the crowd as if I was above them just like the celebrity caviar party I had just come from. "No, Yngwie is in an interview with the press right now and the word is he won't be coming back out for autographs." I actually was told this by one of the body guards before the whole event. Scattering to find my girlfriend I truly couldn't hide behind my eyes what had just happened. I exlaimed aloud, "I met him! I met Yngwie Malmsteen!"

Everyone couldnt help but overhear and fluttered in more questions. I answered what I could and went back and forth to each gate exlaiming to everyone that 'he wont be coming back out for autographs.' Well, soon enough the body guard who had originally gave Tina the pass, approached me seeming very upset and told me that I must give back the pass and I shouldn't have ever gone in there. I said, ' I'm sorry I thought you were saying I could go back there by giving me the
pass' :twisted: :mrgreen: :( He just said short and simple, 'take the pass and please go back outside of the gates.' So he was still nice enough to let me keep the pass. However, my girlfriend was not slow to be yelling, "you shouldn't have come back out! You should have stayed in there!!!" I felt content with what happened. I was only there for one man, and that one man I shook hands with.

What else in this world is there needed? Proud, and cocky I grabbed my girlfriends hand and we walked back to the car as
the desperate fans shaked the gates in anticipation for their own piece of a story. Being thoughtless, I just got in the car
and frantically exlaimed the entire situation to her, uneasy and still out of reality. It actually took me quite some time to
even realize what REALLY happened. :oops: Mindlessly going down Sunset, BLVD I neglected to realize the obvious. "They
ALWAYS come back out for there waiting fans." Sure enough, on the way back down Sunset, BLVD outside of Guitar Center's
doors stood Yngwie Malmsteen. Signing auto-graphs, and taking pictures with his unguarded fans. Tina exlaimed, "There he
is! He's OUTSIDE!!" Flipping a U'ee we parked on the curb, ignoring the meter, and I darted to my trunk for the Yngwie
Strat. Litterally running down the sidewalk with guitar in hand, I ran up to the doors. Gone. He had gone back inside. In
those few seconds, I had JUST missed him. Again with the disapointment I thought. Well, I stood there with my girlfriend
around the crowd of people only to see Yngwie's SINGER Tim (ripper) ownens, Yngwie's Guitar Tech & Stage Guy (remember
him from the concert), and a bunch of fans. I couldnt believe this day! Well, on over I went. Walked right up to Tim Owens
and asked for a picture, and he kindly agreed. Tina took a snap shot of me with him on the only camera we had, (a throw
away.) :x Then I walked over to Yngwie's guitar tech, and asked him if Yngwie would be coming back out. "No he said he
wouldnt be back out again." Standing there looking like idiots, my girlfriend and I just stood there with false hope that he
might come back out. Breaking the awkward ice, his guitar tech actually started looking at my yngwie strat! He told me how
many wraps Yngwie usually has on his tuning pegs, and just gave it a quick lookover. That was it. What a DAY I thought.
The week before I saw him at a fanstastic concert like 3rd in row, now I just saw him get inducted into the rock walk, met
the man, met his singer, met his guitar tech, stood in the same damn ROOM with people that others can only imagine, and
lived the life of someone rich and important for a few minutes! :P I just about had enough lol. What was next? Mel Gibson
@ Starbucks or something?

Well folks, that concludes this long story of how I met Yngwie J. Malmsteen. This may not seem as impressive to those of
you who have met your hero's, but all I know is there are only a few people in this world that I truly respect and he is my number 1. I have that man who gave me the V.I.P. pass, My beautiful girlfriend, God, and all of you here at GN for playing a
part in a truly unforgettable memory of my life. Without you guys I wouldn't be who I am on the guitar today. Nor would I
probably know of Yngwie. Thank you guys, and keep playing. 8)

Youtube: PAY ATTENTION TO 0:07-0:08!!!! You can hear Tina scream YNGWIE!, and watch him salute her!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdsAQ1uftDE&feature=related

PAY ATTENTION TO 0:30-0:38 IN BETWEEN Yngwie's arms as he holds them up, Can you see my yngwie strat???? (let me know)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpIejt2ntaE&feature=related

Pictures!

This is what the V.I.P. Pass I got looks like. Its just missing the V.I.P. Part, its cut off....

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

what a story. the adrenalin must have been surging the whole time. wow.
reminds me of when I met the Jefferson Airplane. it was at a small college campus event. I was working for the school paper at the time. a bunch of us event to the concert in the schools gym (of all places). after the show Grace Slick and Jorma were right at the stage side. I went up to them and asked for an interview, they both said yeah. sitting on the bleachers right next to them the first question that came to mind was 'whats your favorite color?' my god. what a dope. Grace smiled. she liked all the colors. Jorma asked where he and Jack could jam some more . I said I was from out of town. He gave me an autograph and my partner finished the interview with Grace. she learned about their next project; Jefferson Starship.

so meeting one's rock favs is exciting. why do we get so silly and tongue tied. they are just people in many ways???

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on meeting Yngwie. :D

It would be cool to meet your guitar hero, but I've often wondered what it is like for the artist. Everywhere they go, total strangers approach them somehow hoping the artist will realize this is their greatest fan and show some sort of gratitude. The fan expects the artist to become their instant close friend. That is a lot of pressure on the artist. I remember reading an article about John Lennon, he was known to be very rude to fans at times, refusing to sign autographs, and even yelling at fans. John would tell them that he was an ordinary person, nothing special, and that they should not idolize or look up to him, and that they should do something for themselves to make a mark in the world instead of looking to heros. This might seem very rude, but it must be tough to be a famous celebrity. They cannot go anywhere in public. I remember the Beatles saying the worst thing about being famous is that they could not go enjoy a quiet meal at a restaurant because they would be surrounded by hordes of fans, photographers, and reporters wanting an interview. Being a celebrity is not all it is made out to be.

So, at least Yngwie shook your hand and said thanks, that was pretty nice of him when you consider the constant attention these celebritys get.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. Yeah, like I said I was content with just the hand shake. It was truly a unforgetable memory. Did anyone check out the youtubes?

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

I agree, very cool story MM!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_guy)
Eminent Member

awesome story, thanks for sharing.

http://www.jammingbudz.com/jamming-space/GuitarGuy

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Have you come back down off of your cloud yet or do you still feel like it was a dream?? :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I saw Robin Trower a while ago, now Robin is one of my newer heroes but I remember at the end he was signing stuff and I didn't realise what was going on till the last minute, I ran out to my car to get my copy of bridge of sighs, when I came back he was gone. Shame, but I think I'll see him again. Besides that most of my heroes are dead (Hendrix being the main influence). I'll probably never meet Ritchie Blackmore or David GIlmour, I doubt I'll ever seen Gilmour but never mind I couldn't express the effect they've had on my guitar playing and life.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Everyday seems to be a little more reality.. and it gets better the more I realize it!

Well has anyone seen the youtube links??

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Saw them man, is that your Yngwie Guitar just in front of the gate?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yes it is, looks good huh.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's cool that you got to meet your guitar hero. For me, it would be like meeting Jimmy Page. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@yjmfan)

Nice article, I was there on the opposite side as you, I also had my pride and joy my Signature strat, I hung out after you left and had Yngwie Sign my Strat!

ReplyQuote
(@pipoarroba78)

I worked as a server at a Ruby Tuesday located somewhere in Davie Fl. One afternoon, an exotic looking individual accompanied by his wife and a couple of friends walked into the restaurant. At first i had the feeling he was somebody famous but i could not figure out who he was exactly. I thought about asking him, but when their server took a few minutes to get to the table, the guy called for my attention in some sort of rude way, so i changed my mind. I also had an encounter in the bathroom with the guy and i noticed his vibe was not quite pleasant. His black shirt, big old sunglasses, gold chain and rings, and insane hair looked a bit familiar to me and i was very curious because they were taking about music at the table. At this point i went into the kitchen and asked one of my co-workers, "do you remember that famous guitar player whose name was Yngwie... something??"... to what he replied: "Yngwie Malmsteen? of course, i am a huge fan, i own almost all his albums!!!". So i said to him (half way joking): "he is in the dinning room". My friend came out to the dinning room, took a good look at him and said to me: " i am a fan, i know Yngwie's face, and there is no way that guy out there is Yngwie Malmsteen". I said: "ok never mind then". After almost an hour i managed to convince my co-worker to ask the guy for his name cause i was to shy to do it myself. We waited at the host stand for a few minutes until their party decided to leave. My friend stood up right next to the front door and as he was opening the door for them he said: "may i ask you a question sir?, are you in the music bussiness?", to what the guy answered: "yes", at this point i noticed my friend's face got a little pale and his voice got a little shaky as he said: "may i ask your name... sir?", and then the guy said to him:..... "Julio Rodriguez"!!!!!! ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... lol! i am just kidding, his real answer was simply... "Malmsteen"!!!!!.... my co-worker shook his hand and almost fainted right in front of him!!!... of course..... That is my little Yngwie Malmsteen tale for the day.

ReplyQuote