6 years old , darn ....... I am 42 and can't do any of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EkxRGqVUDk&search=Quinn%20Sullivan

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hilch , i seriously think whats the point of posting video links of amazing guitar playing ?

You play guitar well and you have fun doing it.(Atleast that's what i think)

As a good and a friendly advice , don't compare yourself to youtube smashin' up guitar video clips anymore.

Learn and enjoy.The joy of learning is best thing that happens to a person.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Learn and enjoy.The joy of learning is best thing that happens to a person.

Rahul, you have become very wise in your aging younger years. Although, I think Hilch was kidding to some degree. :lol:

Hilch, my man, I am learning all the time that I cant compete with the youngsters at anything. I'm totally thrilled about it. Hopefully, they will be just as skilled at taking care of our world when I cant remember to get up to go pee.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, I might be hammered for it, but that's not anything special? As far as I can see that's all stuff you can easily learn in a 6-12 months, no matter how old you are. And the fact that young people tend to have less responsibilities then older people means they have an easier time learning.

Kinda remarkable, really. Where are all the guitar wonderkids? I've seen dozens of young Chinese schoolgirls ripping through Vivaldi pieces on their violins and slews of Russian kids playing Rach's 3rd piano concerto at the age of 10 and such. With guitar I only see either wannabe-shredders that play through their scales with insane lack of accuracy and musicality or kids that play some open chords while looking cute.

The ES335-gift was cool though. I was already wondering what was the idea behind using a Squier and one of Line6s top amplifiers. But to get back to the topic: despite that fact that I hope this kid continues to have a great time playing guitar this was nothing special in any way. Really.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well, I might be hammered for it, but that's not anything special? As far as I can see that's all stuff you can easily learn in a 6-12 months, no matter how old you are.

Not hammered really, I mostly agree with what you are saying. But at six up til maybe 8 or 9 most children dont have the finger control to do something like that. Not to mention, you have to wonder how old he was when he actually started.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I did get the joy of learning and i experienced it.And i feel it everytime when i can play or arranage a good song myself on the guitar.

Changing barre chords , playing the Cmaj , learning to fingerpick were so hard , but , with practice (well just playing with heart for hours) did let me do all that.

I still don't know scales , fancy chords or how to play with a pick.Yet , I try to learn new songs as best as i can.

The joy of learning is simply great.I found this line somewhere in a david's lesson , but i think i have heard that earlier too.

P.S. - The black strat , its tone and the kid playing was cute.I wonder how he is taking the weight of the electric !

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I was expecting to see another kid shredding it up horribly, but didn't. I'm glad. I agree that age doesn't really mean a whole lot, but most kids that young don't have the attention span to learn something that well. Sure, the performance wasn't perfect, but it was pretty darn good for any amateur. I enjoyed it. His reaction to the Gibson was the best part, though. Priceless.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I think it was a lot better for the fact he wasn't perfect, I liked the Oooohs

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It was a tongue in cheek remark I made ...

But I still can't play like this 6 year old , I WANNNA PLAY THAT BLUES THINGY HE PLAYED .......

Oh and yeah a guitar like that Gibson they gave him (mmmmmmmmmmmmm)

But thanks Rahul for the vote of confidence in my playing appreciate that mate ..
I know I suck big time at playing bur hey there is only obe way for me go from the Earthy pitt from where I am ..

The only way is up baby

What a good line for a song :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Too cute! :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Too cute! :D

Really , the kid playing and the way he did it was way too cute. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I think that's terrific, at his age! I enjoyed it thoroughly, and especially his reaction to the 335. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Thanks for sharing this!

I'll be happy when I can play as well as that little shaver can.

What a little cutie, and he must not be too jaded yet, to be so excited about receiving that Gibson.

Let's hope he's playing out of his own true love of it, and not being pushed by some stage mom or dad.

Do you think that was a smaller size Squier he was playing? He didn't seem to have any problem spanning the fretboard and surely his hands are smaller than mine.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Do you think that was a smaller size Squier he was playing? He didn't seem to have any problem spanning the fretboard and surely his hands are smaller than mine.
Margaret

Yeah, it was a smaller one. Compare it to the size of the Gibson which was bigger than he was.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I don't like it, I know a kid who when he was about 10 after only playing for 3 months, could play good blues, like the main shuffle in Pride & Joy.

When I saw him I was expecting Wild Thing, or some other similar song.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2