Skip to content
Ibanez AEF18 TVS --...

Notifications
Clear all

Ibanez AEF18 TVS -- good starter guitar?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mystery)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,
I am thinking to learning guitar and found an Ibanez AEF18 TVS in craigslist for $145 with hard case. :note2:
I have not looked at the guitar but talked to the seller and he said the action, body everything is great.
Is this a good price to go for? :?:
I was looking at Yamaha F335 acoustic but this looks like much better.
Thanks for suggestions

It is similar to this item on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-AEF18-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Transpar-Violet-/260716882249

(@alangreen)

Both good choices.

Ibanez make good kit, but I've found their efforts tend towards their electrics - some of the fastest players on the planet play Ibanez.

You cannot go wrong with Yamaha - some of the best players on the planet play Yamaha.

I have a Yamaha bass, and keyboard, and drum synth (and for some bizarre reason, a descant recorder)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome to the forum, and to guitar!

As Alan said, both are good choices. Quality, action, playability varies from one Yamaha to another, so I can't assure you on that. Some of that has to do with how the owner (if used) has maintained & stored it. They like being safe in their case. :shock:

The Ibanez could be a steal, especially with a hard case, which is worth $100 plus tax in Canada. yes... always that 13% tax!

My friend is an Ibanez dealer, and I try his line up occasionally. I haven't found a really good one, so I would say they are an intermediate guitar, and it's up to a very discriminating person or pro whether or not he/she would be satisfied. The Smartwood series @ $800 are best IMO. They ALL can take pro use, if accepted, especially when plugged in, they shine. 8)

As a beginner or novice, for everyday, long lasting and service/utility with good looks and feel, you can't go wrong - I hope.
I have known Hoshino/Ibanez for a long time, and they don't put any bad product out there; they are quite consistent and reliable. Some other brands, which I won't name, use that name of theirs, and put cheap stuff underneath to sell fast - doesn't last long or play well while doing it. I think that most Washburn and all Crafter models are good too. I like 'em.

Not that it matters, but I have other friends who are the Martin/Larivee, Fender/Aria and Epiphone dealers. Aria are a bit expensive, but super nice, and the acoustic Epiphones can give problems occasionally - the more expensive ones are great.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@mystery)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for replies Alan and Blue Jay.
The Ibanez is both acoustic and electric so has option to plug in.
I have choice of buying Yamaha acoustic F335 (2009 model) with soft case for $100 and the Ibanez AEF18 (may be lot older) with hard case for $140 both used.
F335 costs $149 new while the AEF18 costs $300.
Decision time... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@mystery)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I decided on the 2009 Yamaha F335 tobacco sun burst for $90.

It even came with a strap and a padded 'Road Runner Roadster Acoustic Guitar Gig Bag' that alone costs $50 . :)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-Roadster-Acoustic-Guitar-Gig-Bag-104470034-i1427061.gc

The seller also had a Korg GA-30 tuner that he sold me for $5.
So far, under $100 for a guitar that's in very good shape.

Now need to get over my old issue... when switching chords--can't strum and when strumming--can't switch chords :x
Anyone has a solution for this? :)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Now need to get over my old issue... when switching chords--can't strum and when strumming--can't switch chords :x
Anyone has a solution for this? :)

Q: How do you get to Carnegie hall?
A: Practice, practice, practice...

Seriously, we've all been there.
Just keep at it and you'll get there eventually.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@mystery)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for reply Kent.
You are right, need more practice.
Right now, when I think of chords, right hand stops and when thinking about a strumming pattern, chord change is terrible.
Need to teach brain to move the two hands independently of one another. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

slow it wayyy down. Like 30 BPM (1 strum per 2 seconds) and see if you can do it at that speed.
Do that for a while, then speed it up a bit.
Repeat.

It's ok if this takes several weeks (or even months) of consistent practice to get up to a speed you are happy with.

The guys you hear on the radio practised for thousands of hours over several years before their first record. Probably a few hours a day since they were teenagers.
And they still play for several hours a day to keep at the level of ability they have achieved.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@mystery)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

You are 100% correct Kent.
Guitarists have spent a sizable chunk of their life practicing.
But we forget that obvious fact and get frustrated after few days of practice... :?
Thanks for suggestions.
I'll take it slow and try not to let frustration get over me. :note2:

ReplyQuote