12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
lars
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I am gassing for an "as accoustic as an electric gets" - i.e. not a western guitar with pickup, but a real hollowbody electric. Think maybe Ibanez artcore is the way to go.

1) Has anybody been able to dechipper the enigmatic naming of these guitar. There is AF, AFS, AK and AM, and there is 75, 78 and 85 and there is DVS, and NVK .. (the latter being colour obviously) - as far as I see they come with two different bodies 43 and 73 mm, with or without tremolo and some with(out) inlays in the neck.

2) Anyone tried and compared the two bodies - opinions?

3) AK 85-DVS just seems right. Will try to find a shop here that has it displayed and try it one of these days - looks SOO nice - compared to Epiphone DOT studio which is just about the same price here - the DOT looks extremely cheap! Anyone tried both? And the DOT / ES335 has a much slimmer body right?

4) Should I get one (OK, I know the answer to this :-D )

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

slejhamer
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

1. I have an AXD81VLS. I only know that the VLS part is for the "Violin Sunburst" finish. Their model names are ridiculous.

2. Yes; one's a big ol' jazz box - almost like an acoustic body with electronics added; the other's obviously thinner and more "electric" looking (and feeling.) :) The bigger one is much more mellow, with that warm round jazzy tone.

3. I compared them, and bought an Artcore. The Epis weren't bad, but just didn't seem as nice for the same price.

4. You know!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I can't tell that Ibanez's model designations mean anything.

I bought my boy an Artcore thinline hollowbody with a Bigsby. It's a really nice playing and sounding guitar!

Couldn't tell you the model number. Don't care.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
lars
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

wow! coolest dad in the street huh? and that colour is just ... strong. Does it sound anything at all unplugged?

and mitch - yours is great looking too!

OMG - How many guitars is one allowed to own :roll:

ReplyQuote
kingpatzer
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have an AF85-VLS and I like it well enough.

I've had minor problems with the wiring harness and jack, but nothing that couldn't be fixed easily enough.

It doesn't sound that great unplugged. These guys are as cheap as they are because they're laminate tops, and laminate tops just don't resonate like a carved top will.

You can hear it to practice with, but you wouldn't want to play it that way long if you're ears are worth anything :)

I like mine for what it is -- an inexpensive practice hollowbody. But it has some deficiencies that after owning it for a while, I'd probably not buy another one.

1) Scale length is too short for a good jazz box. A large number of the more complex chords are just too cramped on this thing. I'd much rather have a 25 1/2" scale neck than the 24 1/2" scale on the Artcores.

2) Neck is too narrow. Same as above, it's just too crowded on the neck for fast jazz chord changes.

3) Wiring. Like I said above, minor problems. Enough to consider having the whole thing redone to have it taken care of once and for-all.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Unplugged, they're not acoustic guitars, but they sound OK for low volume practice without disturbing anyone.

ReplyQuote
greybeard
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Man, that's child abuse. So many guitars and the poor kid doesn't even have a pair of shoes to wear. Shame on you, Ric. :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

He'll get a pair when he turns 21.

ReplyQuote
lars
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Shouldn't get one before he can play "flight of the bumblebee" with the guitar behind his back

ReplyQuote
Rahul
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Man, that's child abuse. So many guitars and the poor kid doesn't even have a pair of shoes to wear. Shame on you, Ric. :lol: :lol:

And you should not forget that the lucky son also has a Gibson SJ-200 Pete Townshend tucked under somewhere, which his lucky dad won off a sweepstake...

By the way, congrats to you GB, for becoming Musically Insane. 8)

ReplyQuote
Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd almost forgotten that myself. :lol:

ReplyQuote
donzo
(@donzo)
Eminent Member

Lars - did you end up getting one of these? Did you try the various body types? Do you have any comments? I'm looking at the line myself and I'm wondering what the outcome of your situation was!

Thanks,
Don

ReplyQuote