Famed Member

Chorus:
Ohhhhhh . . . (all together now) . . .

It's tone that makes the music
That gives the bell its ring
If you don't have any tone
Then you haven't got a thing
:mrgreen:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Who uses Fender and who uses Squier:

Video #1
Video #2
Video #3

Please, don't read the text and skip some seconds in the first video.

By the way, the third bass played in the third video sounds great!

PS. Ken (KR2), you are great, too! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for those vids Nuno, I gotta say that I really enjoyed the 2nd one, just a great sound.

Ken, I like the lyrics.....goes pretty much to the heart of it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Come on KR2 give us a chord progression so we can strum along to the sing along!

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm using :note1: GDAD :note2:

Something like this . . . Tone in the fingers :lol:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I personally try to buy the best guitar I can afford. I find generally they do have better tone and playability. Therefore you are going to play and sound better on them. I remember my first guitar, it was a cheap no-name acoustic. Man, the strings seemed like they were half an inch over the fretboard. It was very difficult to play, I'm surprised I stayed at it. Playing barre chords was almost impossible and painful, and when you fretted everything went out of tune. I could only get good sounding chords playing in the open position.

Soon after I got a couple of electrics and the strings felt like rubber bands. The action was low and chords were easy. I noticed an instant improvement in my playing.

So, a better guitar makes it easier to play, thus you sound better. That said, there are many guitars today that are not expensive and of good quality, a much better selection than when I started playing.

And I think there is a little bit of psychology involved too. If you own a $3000 Les Paul, you are going to think you sound better than you did on a $300 copy, even if it isn't really true. But you enjoy the guitar more. Yeah, it's hype, but it's real nevertheless.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've always had a problem with "willful suspension of disbelief." I see all the stupid inconsistencies with reality in movie effects and plots, and when I play my Gibson Pete Townshend Limited Edition SJ-200 that had an MSRP of $5087 IIRC, I sound just like a deaf, dumb blind kid playing it. (But I like playing it!)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

I'm using :note1: GDAD :note2:

Something like this . . . Tone in the fingers :lol:

And we could maybe add a killer solo in the middle of it all. And and a Dsus4 after the A instead of a D ?

And it would be epic, I'm going to make an arrangement of it xD, do I have the rights or not ? O_O

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

And we could maybe add a killer solo in the middle of it all. And and a Dsus4 after the A instead of a D ?
. . . and 4th string E and F# notes preceding the G chord.
And it would be epic, I'm going to make an arrangement of it xD, do I have the rights or not ? O_O
Go for it.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

And I think there is a little bit of psychology involved too. If you own a $3000 Les Paul, you are going to think you sound better than you did on a $300 copy, even if it isn't really true. But you enjoy the guitar more. Yeah, it's hype, but it's real nevertheless.
And...if you commit $3000 into a guitar for your playing, you might be motivated to practice more. :idea:

Note I said "might".

Otoh, my current Classical is a cheapo skip rescue one. Alan Green would laugh his head off if I asked him to use it for one of his gigs and would probably (rightly) have me sent off to the psych ward for making such a deluded suggestion. But as soon as I can sight read classical tunes up to grade 5-6 comfortably (and have saved enough cash......both of these might take some time), I'm going to reward myself by getting a serious classical guitar to play on (not uber-expensive, but I'm thinking around £700-800 minimum subject to quality; the best I can afford).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

And...if you commit $3000 into a guitar for your playing, you might be motivated to practice more. :idea:

Note I said "might".

I agree 100%. I think that the more you invest money wise is pretty much equal to the time you invest in it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Scrybe wrote "might", Joe. and she's already made a substantial commitment to the instrument.

I have moderate collection, spanning a 25:1 street price range -- playable, not junk at the low end . the most expensive do not get played the most, nor are they any more enjoyable to play than the well made, more economical guitars. and I don't believe in unduly protecting the pricier ones, except where something is sensitive to environment. for me, it's cool to have unusual or exotic guitars for those times when a player-friend comes over and asks to try one ... and I get to say "dream on, loser!" :lol: uh sorry, I mean "go to it, man!" it's fun to see others enjoy my guitars. (David can tell you, I did not always feel this way.) for the most part, if you are buying a $3000 guitar, you've entered the realm of artwork/furniture. there are some, but very few types of guitars that need to cost that much (exceptions made for hand carved, tuned arch-tops and similar -- that's the cost of expert labor going directly into the tone and performance). but a conventional solidbody electric doesn't have to cost nearly that much to have a pretty damn good tone in the right hands. for many beginners, spending thousands on a learner instrument does not create incentive -- but often does create guilt. and unless you are using that guilt to write some emo tunes, well ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I know she said might. I just think that the more money you spend the more likely you are to play it. Is it guilt, yeah part of it is guilt like you said, so break out those Emo tunes. LOL :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Guilt xD, well maybe It is a factor in my practicing but ever since I got the Ibanez Prestige I practice alot more, cause I play my Squier and my Ibanez, and I notice the difference in playability so i play something in the squier then go to the Ibanez to make it sound better.

So in between the 2 ( and no school or anything 2 do ) I play like 6 hours a day O_O 4 on the Squier and 2 on the Ibanez cause the Squier is in my room and Ibanez in the basement xD

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

If I have money, I would rather buy a frooglepoopillion guitar.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4