Clear all

If you don't know Bill ...

20 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Bill Kirchen was the original guitar player for Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. He's known as a master of the Telecaster. Watch this -- ALL of it -- to see and hear why. (Gets particularly interesting about a third of the way in).

"Tone starts with the fingers."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_FK6o8RPSQ&feature=related

Q.E.D.

-=tension & release=-

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

VERY cool guy - I saw some of the "related" stuff too. 8)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

That was amazing!

ReplyQuote
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member

Very cool. Thanks for sharing! I see guys like him - or Gatton, or Summers, or Richards - and I get Tele GAS! :D

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

That was amazing..

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

...and I'll thank Ken Rogers. I found Bill K's bit while checking out the youtube links Ken provided for the fave tunes in my iPod -- I was too lazy to link them. Commander Cody naturally leads to Bill. And while I knew Bill K to be a phenom guitar player, was surprised by his solo stage presence. Funny guy.

-=Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for posting Greg. I'm pretty certain my outlook on gear has just changed. My wife will be forever grateful. My local Guitar Center may file a lawsuit.....

Actually is good timing. I've been learning how to coax decent sounding jazzy add9 chords out of my Epi LP. It relates directly to your point of all in the fingers.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Now that guy can play! Thanks, I enjoyed that. As far as tone being in the fingers ..... I already know that. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Wow! :shock:

I have heard it a hundred but what does "Tone is in the fingers" mean?

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

That was awesome and reinforces my belief that my Telecaster is all I need.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Wow! :shock:

I have heard it a hundred but what does "Tone is in the fingers" mean?

It means quit worrying about which guitar you are playing -- e.g. Jimi played a Strat, so I must have Strat to play Jimi; or Page is a god on LP, so a LP is my ticket to that sound. It's not so simple. On nearly any guitar, Page sounds like Page, Jimi sounds like Jimi, Knopfler sounds like Knopfler, Django like Django and so on... When you know how to really play your guitar, you will be able to dig the tone needed from that guitar starting right from your digits. For the most part, there shouldn't be too much worry about having the "wrong" guitar. Make the guitar you have work.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd never heard of Bill - thanks for the link, Greg, now I'm going to have to investigate Buffalo Bill and the lost Planeteers, or whatever they were called......

That was cool! The bloke's a natural mimic, as well as a very talented guitarist. Good taste in music, too.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I remember that old song :D

Thanks Greg, that was lots of fun, he really knows how to put on a one man show!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@alien)
Estimable Member

That was awesome and reinforces my belief that my Telecaster is all I need.

I'm just a hobbyist, but in my limited experience you can get a wider range of sounds out of a tele than anything else I've tried.
When you know how to really play your guitar, you will be able to dig the tone needed from that guitar starting right from your digits. For the most part, there shouldn't be too much worry about having the "wrong" guitar. Make the guitar you have work.

Technically that's true, but... I've been dabbling with rockabilly licks lately and that really calls for a tele. Fender hit a home run with their first at bat.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2