Clear all

Im being replaced

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

well, my wife is due to give birth to our second daughter in june, which is nice. But the important thing is how will that affect my guitar :lol:

Due to medical reasons she may be premature and will definately have to have a cesaerian, meaning a longer recovery time. Because of this i am taking a few months off from the band starting in may (in case she comes early)until probably september/october.

however, the band goes on and we have a replacement gutiarist who is a top bloke. the only thing is, he is very good! thats great for the band, they can continue, and im happy for that, it was me who suggested get a replacement and me who found him - but somewhere inside i wonder if i am going to be wanted back :oops:

dont get me wrong - i will never get the boot, we are just too good friends for that, but this will give the lads a taste of what playing with a proper guitarist would be like. Up until now they have been patient with my progress, but after this spell i cant help wondering if deep down they will prefer me not to come back.

this isnt a winge, just a bit of news really, but has anybody else had to fill the shoes of a better player?? how did it go?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sorry, no experience on your question, just I want to say many congrats on your second daughter! :D

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I guess you could say that I had to fill the shoes of a better player when I became the sole guitar player in my band . We started as four pieces but became three when the other guitarist quit . Suddenly , I had to do every lead and rhythm part . I had always played with another guitarist in the band and he was usually better than me . It was a lot of extra responsibility and a lot of extra work but it forced me to become a better player , no more relaxing . Five years later we are still going strong .

If it comes to pass that you are replaced in the band treat it like another door opening for you . You never know about these things . Besides , the other player might not work out for numerous reasons which can include commitment , preparedness , musical differences , abrasive attitude , schedules , work conflicts , significant other involvement , health ... the list goes on and on . Good luck !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Nuno - thanks for the congratulations :D

Diceman, i think your right. i will feel the extra responsibility when i return so i will make sure i get all the practice i can in my time off. to be honest, it might help - having the extra time to work on technique etc, without worrying about practicing the weekend set list.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Don't know if it's something the band might consider, but why can't both of you play when you're ready to jump back in? Double leads are very cool and sometimes a band can use that as a signature sound (think Thin Lizzy or Lynard Skynard). Best of all, both you and the new guitarist can work on your parts together on your own time. You may not have the time to schedule for the whole band, but just getting together with one guy might be workable.

Just a thought.

Congratulations on your new addition, by the way. And congrats, too, for making a smart choice even when it was probably very difficult to do.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I thought you were being replaced by your daughter! (There may be some truth in that.) :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Congrats on the baby! When I read the title I thought I was about to read how you had been kicked out of your band. I was all set to call your good friends a bunch of jerks in your defense. :lol: I too thought of the 2 guitar idea. I played in a band with 2 lead guitars. Our styles complimented each other well.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I thought you were being replaced by your daughter! (There may be some truth in that.) :lol:
Me too!

Congrats on the soon-to-be addition to the brood!

As for feeling the pressure of a better guitarist, I agree that two guitars could be a good thing. Also was gonna say that you could use the free time (no rehearsals, no sourcing gigs or doing promo, no gigs, etc) to really knuckle down on practicing. If you dropped out of the band to be at home, there's no reason why you can't be at home practicing.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the congratulations guys :D

your idea of having 2 guitarists is one that really appeals to me - it would take the pressure off me a little bit and also give me somebody to learn from, so a double bonus!!

scrybe, i definately will be using the extra time at home to practice harder, im quite looking forward to it actually.

he is comming to watch us for the first time on saturday, so i'll be a little nervous. it will be the first time he has met the rest of the band and hopefully he'll get up and have a play. i will let you know how it pans out.

thanks, Al

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey Al, congrats on your pending family addition. :D

As far as the band, I agree with everyone else. It could be great. Besides, it'll give you some help with your ongoing struggles with the keyboardist as far as band sound is concerned. :)

I also would not totally dismiss the idea of messing with the band for a few hours a week. You're going to need a break too. Taking nothing at all away froim the ladies and the pain & recovery c-section thing, but you're gonna be one whupped puppy. You can see newborn dads come in to work looking like they'd been up for days on end. We'll never forget how tired we were. A mental break might help out.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Al congrats on the baby...that's great! As for the band it should be perfect with two guitars unless you guys were going for a certain sound that wasn't necesarily guitar oriented.

But we have two guitar players in the band (the other guy is fantastic) and we try and play mostly two guitar songs like Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest etc and they sound great. To me two guitars fill out the sound so much better than a solo guitar. You really have to have the chops and effects to carry it really well with one guitar to me it sounds thin alot of times.

But this will give you an opportunity to do some harmony leads and trade licks back and forth. And free you up to start doing a bit of singing eh!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Congrats! I came into this a little late.

I know the premature feeling, my wife was because of a difficult pregnancy as well. But you'll have some time with the guitar...the practice...hmmm....I don't know how stepped up it would be, when I was home with my wife, she couldn't really do much the first couple weeks because of the cesarean and I was as tired as a dog. But after that when things started to calm down a bit and we got into a routine, I started to get more sleep and was less tired.

I didn't start playing until the following year, but I can assume that you would have some good practice once you get into a routine

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

wish your family all the best.
you did a good thing letting your band know of your plans and providing a replacement.
it is a good thing you didn't send in a ringer so as to insure your place as a the guitar guy.
good karma will descend on you and yours.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys!
dogbite, to be honest, i hadnt thought of sending a ringer in - what a good idea :D still, too late for that now.

thanks everybody for the comments!

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

just a quick update :D

my replacement came to watch us tonight and meet the rest of the band for the first time. They all got on really well and he even played with us in the encore - but was graciuous enough to offer to play rhythm and asked me to keep playing lead - so that meant i wasnt shown up :lol: i thought that was a nice gesture from him.

looks like this is going to be a bit of a success and i took your advice of asking him to remain in the band when i rejoin. whether or not he will depends on how his other band takes off, but he seemed to appreciate the offer.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2