Skip to content
I'm buying a new gu...

Notifications
Clear all

I'm buying a new guitar and I need help!

(@lightbulbs)
Topic starter  

Hi guys. I know there are probably many of these topics, but, I am planning on buying a new guitar, and I think I need help. I have narrowed my choices down alot, but I am stuck on where to go next. I have decided on either, a Fender MIM Stratocaster, a MIM Telecaster, an Epiphone Dot, or I can probably get a really good deal on a Fender Jaguar. I have also considered the Squier Classic Vibe series, as I have heard good things about those guitars. I was leaning towards the Jag for a while, but some stuff I read on the internet about bridge problems kind of concerned me, so if you guy could help me out on that also, that would be great. I have been playing guitar for about 4 years now, and I like to play classic rock, rock, soft rock, blues, and jazzy kinds of stuff, but I would also like to be able to get some really heavy distorted tones. So a versatile guitar is very important to me. Also I am not limited to the guitars I mentioned previously, so any others you would like to recommend in that price range of 300-500 USD would be appreciated. Thanks Very Much!

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Fender Std. Strat all the way, imo.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Noble Member

I'd go with the MIM Tele out of those. Neck pup with the tone rolled off gives you jazz. Bridge pup gives you country, or rock if used with overdrive/distortion. Also popularly used in blues (pup and tone settings can vary) - Muddy Waters, Albert Collins, Jonny Lang, etc, etc.

My second choice would be the Strat.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)
Member Moderator

You cannot go wrong with a Tele

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

...and I like to play classic rock, rock, soft rock, blues, and jazzy kinds of stuff, but I would also like to be able to get some really heavy distorted tones.

I don't know much about jazzy tones, but if Scrybe says neck p/u, that's good enough for me - she plays a lot of jazz! As for the rest, that's pretty much what I play....on a MIM Tele. For the heavy distorted tones, obviously you'll need an overdriven amp, then you'll have to play with the volume knob on the guitar - up to a certain point it'll be fairly clean, over that point it'll start to break up.

Squier Guitars are pretty good, though - not much difference between a high-end Squier and a MIM Tele or Strat, in my experience. I know at least one guy (Moonrider) on these forums who regularly gigs with a Squier Tele, even though he's got a few guitars.

Good luck with your search!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You said you have been playing guitar for 4 years. Which is you current guitar?

And welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Noble Member

I don't know much about jazzy tones, but if Scrybe says neck p/u, that's good enough for me - she plays a lot of jazz! As for the rest, that's pretty much what I play....on a MIM Tele. For the heavy distorted tones, obviously you'll need an over

Neck pup with the tone rolled off is good enough for Mike Stern, Mike Walker, Tal Farlow (at times), and a slew of other jazzers - Tele is considered the jazz solidbody. Some favour a Tele with a humbucker in the neck position (think Mike Stern does, off the top of my head), but many do just fine with a single coil there.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@lightbulbs)
Topic starter  

Thanks so much for all your advice! Looks like the majority opinion is for the Tele. Right now my guitar setup is an Epiphone Les Paul Junior model and a Takamine Jasmine acoustic. I love my Takamine, but the Epiphone is kind of a one trick pony, so I have been looking for a good, versatile guitar that will keep me happy for a while. Also, I do plan on upgrades, such as hardware replacement, pup upgrades, pot replacement and maybe, if I go with the tele, a bigsby. The upgrades will not be immediate, however, all depending on my money situation. Also, I do plan on having the guitar set up by a professional tech.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The Dot has humbuckers like you Les Paul. The difference would be the semi-hollow body. I think they use the same pick ups.

Then, I vote for a Tele as well. Perhaps you could play both Tele and Strat and see if one is more comfortable for you. Both are great and very versatile guitars.

On MIke Stern. Scrybe, you are right, he uses humbuckers. And the guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica, it is not a Fender.

ReplyQuote
(@faultythinking)
Eminent Member

Hi guys. I know there are probably many of these topics, but, I am planning on buying a new guitar, and I think I need help. ... I have decided on either, a Fender MIM Stratocaster, a MIM Telecaster, an Epiphone Dot, or I can probably get a really good deal on a Fender Jaguar. ... I was leaning towards the Jag for a while, but some stuff I read on the internet about bridge problems kind of concerned me, so if you guy could help me out on that also, that would be great...

I'm maybe jumping to conclusions here, but are you looking at the MIM Classic Player Jaguars? They have a slightly changed design, replacing the original-style, problematic bridge, with one of a Tune-o-matic type. Just to muddy the waters a bit more

FT
I think I can rock and roll
Probably just twisting...

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Squier Guitars are pretty good, though - not much difference between a high-end Squier and a MIM Tele or Strat, in my experience. I know at least one guy (Moonrider) on these forums who regularly gigs with a Squier Tele, even though he's got a few guitars.

Between my Squier CV50's Tele and my MIM Standard, the MIM loses every time. The MIM is way too polite on a gig.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My narrow minded selfish answer that will get you a guitar perfect for me and not you would be an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plain top. Seriously though, you need to go to a music store and play them. As in MoonRider's case, I have cheaper guitars that I favor over higher end models I own. Judge the guitar, not the name, model or brand on the headstock. I can tell you this. You have the Epi Special so the Fender guitars will feel different in your hands. (My son has an Epi Special) It might be a "better" different, it might not. Try them.

PS: The neck on my son's Epi Special is identical in feel to me to both my Epi Les Paul Standards as well as to my 2 Gibson Les Pauls so I'm assuming the Junior follows suite.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

My narrow minded selfish answer that will get you a guitar perfect for me and not you would be an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plain top.

That's my selfish mind's opinion too. Love Epi LPs!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've had a couple of Epi LPs in my time; nice guitars. Like I said before about Squiers and Fenders, there's very little difference performance-wise between a high-end Epi and a budget Gibson. Some of the new Epis look awesome - particularly the Prophecy range, but I've a feeling they'll be a high price, too!

I think the only reason I prefer Telecasters to LPs is that I prefer the maple fretboards - they feel nicer than mahogany to me, but that's just my opinion.

But, whatever you finally decide on, do try before you buy!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

A Tele would be nice and can be upgraded easily with a Fender or Stew Mac 4-way switch. That'll give some heavier series tone. It is harder to put a humbucker in a Tele than it would be to put a single in a Les Paul.

Yes, if you had a Les Paul, it is possible to go to a full size P-90 configuration, like a Phat Cat or a Fender-size single coil with a unique trim ring designed for it. Not many, if any people do that. But it can be done.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote