Skip to content
I'm going to hang a...

Notifications
Clear all

I'm going to hang around here more often.

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have other guitar sites I go to,but this one gives me a lot of sound and helpful advice.Plus it doesn't change the format around.Kudos to you all for keeping this a friendly site for everybody.What kinds of music do most of you play? I play a lot of blues and old rock,combined with gospel,both new and old.I've been playing my resonator more and more,while my electrics have been on hold for a while.They're here,but I don't play them as often. What kind of guitar do you all have? I have in the electrics and Fender Strat and a Squire Telecaster.My acoustics are a Takamine "G" series,with a solid cedar top,a Epiphone a/e I bought 13 years ago,and a Yamaha Apex classical a/e.Then I have a cheapo mandolin,a Regal Resonator,and a dulcimer I got in Branson,Mo.What are all the instruments you all play?

(@shredguy_deluxe)

Hi Gchord :) I like this place too- it's been welcoming and fun even though I only joined recently :) I play mainly metal (modern progressive stuff like Nevermore and Dream Theater), but I get a lot of pleasure out of playing oldschool metal and the blues. My guitars are a mix of Fender and Ibanez beasts with a couple of cheap guitars as well, both of which surprised me with how nie they were to play ;) I only play guitar really, but have played bass and some keyboards on recordings as well as the essential backing vocals ;)

666, the number of the beast... Hell and fire was spawned to be released...
...or we could just get a pizza.
=====
Download a Free Learn to Play Guitar eBook

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

This is the best and most friendly site around. No one makes fun of you for asking beginner questions and there is always lots of great advice from some very serious players. A lot of sites out there don't have the experienced players hanging out with the beginners. They are either "above them" or sometimes they actually tease. Pass the word around!

I have a Schecter S-1 30th anniversary edition, an Ovation CS257, a LaPatrie Etude and a Washburn Rover travel guitar.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

+1 on lue's comments, although I did find a really good jazz guitar forum with a bunch of experienced players willing to answer my frequent questions (figured the theory guys around here could do with a bit of a break from that...)

I have a lot of guitars....Am Strat, Mim Tele, Epi LP with SD pups, parts strat (that I will actually finish this year!), another parts guitar (my first ever electric), and a few acoustics, too. Doesn't stop me from lusting after a jazzbox to add to the brood, tho... :mrgreen:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

This is a great site. I play bass almost exclusively now, but I still come here for the great information and camaraderie.

I play in a punk rock band, but also play classic rock and blues. I have an Epiphone Studio, 2 Squier '51s and a Fender acoustic for guitars. My basses are a Fender Precision, an SX 5 string Jazz and an SX Jazz fretless.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

yeah. This is definitely a great site. The friendliest guitar players online inhabit this site. You don't have to worry about getting flamed for asking a question about a spider or a Marshall MG series amp like you might at other places :)

When you talk about changes in format on other sites, are you referring to Harmony Central?

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

I couldn't agree with you all more! I have also "explored" other sites that at first seemed to be friendly. After a while though, the real (bad) personalities started shining through. This is undoubtedly among the most consistent sites for being friendly than any I have seen.

Jim

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

+1 to all props for these forums.

I have Charvel import, Gibson SG Jr ('68), Kalamazoo (circa '68) and fake-strat solid bodies. Acoustics are a plywood Yamaha six-string and inexpensive Takamine 12-string (presently tuned down to open C). My bass is a Kramer DMZ4001 aluminum-neck P-style with a DiMarzio pup. My mandolin is a Fink, made by a now-deceased hobbyist in Garnett, Kansas, out of old piano soundboards. Also a workbench overflowing with dead cheapo electrics and mismatched parts. :)

Style... um... I don't think I play well enough to have one. (I'm primarily a bassist.) I love all slide playing. My spouse and I occasionally do some acoustic folk-rock stuff.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@shredguy_deluxe)

something great about this place is that it's a great deal more active than other forums I've found recently. Good stuff all round :)

666, the number of the beast... Hell and fire was spawned to be released...
...or we could just get a pizza.
=====
Download a Free Learn to Play Guitar eBook

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

+ 1. Great site.

I've been here for three years or so, I think, and have gone from near absolute beginner to...slightly less beginner.

The team here has been a HUGE support, and my sometimes lack of progress is my own fault. (And my work's.)

Got a CM Marvel guitar and a BC Rich Mockingbird bass. Both extremely well-used. Also got a Noel by Cadenza bass, which is looking for a home. Play hard rock and metal, also some blues, and some hum and strum acoustic tunes to sing at parties.

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've been here around six years now - knew a few chords and a few songs, and I was a pretty mediocre guitarist back then. I asked question after question after question - knew absolutely NOTHING about theory. Now I'm passing on the same tips I got back then.

That's the way GN works - you take, you give a little back. I've never come across another forum so friendly and helpful - and probably won't.

So, stick around, ask all the questions you like - there are a LOT of people here with a vast range of knowledge from Metal to Classical who'll give you a well-thought out answer. On the rare occasions where you don't get an answer, someone'll probably post a link to a place that DOES cover the topic.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

When you talk about changes in format on other sites, are you referring to Harmony Central?

Man, what happened to Harmony Central? That was my go to place when I was shopping for gear. I was looking at amp heads the other day and tried to find some reviews on there and couldn't find anything.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

I am into a lot of hobbies, but the problem I find is the extreme lack of funds. So, as stuff breaks I end up into a different hobby. I've done motorcycle riding which I sold for money. I bought an RC airplane but crashed it for the 100th time which was terminal. I bought a cheaper manual control camera and it broke. I've had a guitar for 5 years now and found this site shortly after getting my guitar.

On one of my other hobby's forums, a thread popped up about the growing arrogance coming from the older crowd towards the new folks. I said in the thread something about how I found most hobby forums being made up of "rich" folks (hobbies are indeed expensive) that most of the forums are the same, full of arrogance. The only hobby forum I found that lacked all arrogance was my guitar forum, of which I was talking of guitarnoise.com. Someone piped in that I must not know many guitarists because they are the most arrogant. Perhaps that is true of most guitar forums/groups of people, I don't know, but this place certainly isn't one of them.

I think this forum here is the only forum I have ever frequented that I have never read a single post that wasn't helpful or that belittled, flamed, or was flat out arrogant towards a new person.

Kudos to all the members of GuitarNoise forum. Someone has to earn my respect and from reading this forum for 5 years now, every one of you has earned my respect. A great group of people here.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I know in the future I plan to visit more often when I get back up to speed again. Right now I'm side tracked with another favorite hobby. If it weren't for GN and the members here I would never have learned a few songs and wrote any lyrics. When I visit it's great to see all the new members either just picking up a guitar for the first time or improving their guitar skills spanning all age ranges and backgrounds. That rocks!!! :D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Guitar teaches you humility. Cause it's HARD. SPent more time on it than anything but my real job for three years.

Still suck.

There is no room for arrogance when confronted with reality. :)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote