Notifications
Clear all

I'm looking for a sound!!!

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@nate_0198)
Topic starter  

Ok I am looking to buy a guitar, I am a first time buyer and have about a 300 USD budget. I am looking for a specific sound and need help. I have narrowed my selection down but I dont think some of the guitars I want have the potential to create the sound I am looking for. It is extremely hard to explain the sound I am looking for so If you click the link theres a song that has the punky 'wine' that I am looking for so heres the link and listen to the begginning of the second chorus specifically . Right before the helllo hello it gives a nice sound that I want. Also listen to the solo to get an idea of what I am looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE8RAD8amE8

So my question is, what guitars have the potential to make this sound,, I realize there are effects hooked up but how would you describe this sound(dont say grunge), and what guitars would you reccomend. any in my price range? Would the epiphone wilshire reissue work for this? Would 2 humbuckers or 3 single coil pickups? Is there anything specific in the electronics of the guitar that would give it this type of sound? Well I hope I get some help even though I am new here.

Also is the epiphone wilshire reissue a quality guitar? Will it stay in tune, last through abuse? Upgradable?

(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

The great thing, if you're looking for a sound like Cobain's, is that some devoted fans have already cataloged exactly which guitars he played. In this song's case I think it's a Fender Mustang. I'd look for a used Mustang or Jaguar, but they might be out of your range.

90% of the sound you're hearing is technique and effects, though. A squier strat is probably capable of it, get the HSS one so you have the option of playing some harder sounds.

I don't know anything about that Epiphone, sorry.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I would go with the HH config. Look at the 1:27-1:28 mark on the video. Looks like his Jag set-up. mmoncur's link has a guitar link. Go down to section B for a description. And as mmoncur elluded too, that's still only a small portion of the equation. Important, but small.

Never played that particular Epi. Sorry.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm not a huge fan of Cobain, but one thing you might want to keep in mind if you're looking for that kind of sound is that KC frequently downtuned his guitar(s) to drop D - DADGBE - or drop C - CGCFAD....helps to play powerchords more easily, and helps with that dirtier sound, specially on the lower notes.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

A guitar with 2 humbucker will definetly get you there, but so much of it has to do with the amp, his technique, what he used to record with, and the tuning.
I would say that if you find a good deal on a single coil guitar that you would still be able to get that sound, I've seen a lot of metal bands playing single coil teles lately and they have no problem getting that really distorted power chord sound.

Good Luck

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi :D

Well, IMO, I think it's important to realize that the guitars KC most prefered (ie. The Fender Jaguar, Mustang, and his sig. Jag/Stang), were all 24" scale guitars - shorter than the usual 24.75 that Gibbo types use.
While Strats, Teles, & Jazzmasters were the usual 25.5 scale, which gives a typical 'Fender' sound and snap.

So, given the budget, my recomendation is this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Jagmaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=519635

The Squier Jagmaster, @ $280.00 US - Fits the price, the look, the scale, and KC would be proud that you didn't spend two grand for a Jag RI from Fender!

It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews; though I've not played a Squier guitar, I know that our own Vic Lewis here on GN is quite fond of them :)

This is also an excellent site:
http://www.jag-stang.com/
Perusing thru it, you'll find useful and interesting information on Jags/Mustangs/Jagstangs and Fenders in general -
as well as some links to MF regarding the new versions of the effects that KC favored.

Ken

ps - for a single coil 24" scale 'fender' guitar, there's this:
*can't get a good link - sorry
Anyway - The Squier Duo-Sonic.

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@nate_0198)
Topic starter  

ahh How would that squier jagmaster's quality/tone/durability be compared to the fender jags pre-reissue that kurt cobain used?

If its going to be a guitar I would want to trade in a year from now I might want to get a used standard strat (if i can for 300).

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

ahh How would that squier jagmaster's quality/tone/durability be compared to the fender jags pre-reissue that kurt cobain used?

If its going to be a guitar I would want to trade in a year from now I might want to get a used standard strat (if i can for 300).

Well, I don't really think that a '65 Fender Jaguar can be compared to a brand-new $250.00 guitar in any way, shape, or form.
And really, if you make any progress at all in this next year of guitar playing, you will prob want to trade up regardless.

You say that you are looking for a specific 'sound', and want to know 'what' will get you close to that sound....
like most people though, you seem to think that it's limited to the pickups/effects/amp chain (ie. only electric).

Scale length is a very important factor in determining a guitars general sound.
It's like the DNA of the guitar's sound really - something permanent and un-alterable....
Some may argue that a short scale length can be simulated with a long scale guitar (Strat) that has been detuned.
Well, SRV used heavy strings on his Strat and detuned 1/2 a step - did he sound like he was using a Mustang/Jaguar????
Not really.

So, if you are going to be trying to play Nirvana songs and want that sound, you will have to play both dirty AND clean.
If you listen to KC's clean parts, they are entirely missing that signature Fender sparkle and chime omnipresent in Strats/Teles.
Furthurmore (as a Strat guy myself), Strats still retain their 'complex' sound, even when overdriven or distorted.

If you really want that sound, then I would recommend NOT getting a Strat (Did I really say that!? :shock: )
I understand that KC played Strats/Teles from time to time, but they didn't define his signature sound.
IMO, you will be better served with a shorter scale guitar - you dont seem to like the Squier's, so try a 24.75" scale Gibbo type guitar.

At least that's MHO.
Most people here think I'm a bit 'Timbre Pedantic' LOL!
So, take it for what it's worth :wink:

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@nate_0198)
Topic starter  

ken that was a good post if all you said is truthful.
That wilshire is 24.75 scale length but will the humbuckers make it sound too bluezy. I havent played it in the store but I heard this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYi0FLPLkx8

and to my EXTREMELY INEXPERIENCED ears it kinda sounds like a jag a bit no? maybe so ? Its around the same price as that squier jagmast so i dont know. this is rough. I am so bad at decisions.

ReplyQuote
(@nate_0198)
Topic starter  

DAMNIT KEN

you were so right, I found a vid of him playing teen spirit on a strat and I just didnt like the sound compared to vid i posted earlier.

heres the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlN2DSvGifo

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yeah, that vid had some awful sound quality, but you could def tell the difference.
A Strat is just too.... 'Tense', I guess for the Nirvana thing.
Not to mention that they sustain a bit too much as well.
The Jag and Mustang guitars have a real 'lazy' or laid back sorta Fender sound, with a real quick decay.

A Gibbo type guitar will be less tense than a Strat/Tele, but a bit more full sounding than a Jag/Stang.

The Epi in that video was loaded with Mini-Buckers.... a bit of a different sound altogether than the stock full size HB's.
There's another vid of a red Epi in the related vids in the column on the right - he uses a bit of distortion, and I think
would give you a better idea of the sound you might be looking for with that guitar.

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

ken that was a good post if all you said is truthful. Ken lies quite often. :lol: :lol: (Just kidding bud!)

Nate, I've got an old ESP LTD guitar from back in the 90's that I semi-salvaged. It's got Duncan Designed humbuckers on it. If those on the 'jag sound anything like my old ones, you will NOT be dissappointed. They might be inexpensive pickups, but there is a nice bite to them. I don't have the same pedals as Kobain did, but with that guitar and what I do have, I can come up with a really good don't-call-grunge tone that you asked about. If I can only remember WHICH pedals I used and how for sure...... sigh. It was well over a year ago and I can't do loud right now.

I also got a pretty decent tone out of a modeling amp that I had with that same guitar, but since given to a friend. It was a Roland Cube 30X. One of the settings towards the right. I could drop the tuning and do that new metal chunk with ease.

As far as short-scale vs long scale, I can't add any technical info at all. I do prefer short scale myself. Took me owning 7 long scales and 3 short scales to figure THAT one out, but let's get into that, eh? :oops: :oops:

Won't be anything wrong with that Squire Jag, and ain't nothing wrong with adding a Strat to the stable next year or whenever. Two different beasts as you know by now. I concur with Ken on the Squire Jag. I have a squire Tele and all's I did to it was a basic set-up. Nothing was really that far out straight from the box. It plays very well......for a long scale. :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nate, are you somewhere where you can even get that 'Jag for the USD $289 price? I just remembered that some of our European bruthas and sistas pay through the nose for anything relating to Fender.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I've never had any personal experience with the Jagmaster but recommend checking out this video. Sounds fine to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygOL-fh9AoU

I have a Jaguar that's re-issue. Couldn't tell you the year but I bought it in 2006 new. Between that, my chorus pedal, distortion pedal, amp and an insane amount of knob tweaking I can get Kurt's sound. But that would take 560% of your budget though. Still the reissues, including the Jagmaster seem good to me.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@nate_0198)
Topic starter  

yes thanks for the help that. I really think the jagmaster would be a fun first but I am def going to try to grab it used.
This forum is great thanks guys My question was 110% answered

ReplyQuote