Clear all

Impact on music 1990-present

39 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've read so many book, articles, forums, etc. about the history of music (especially rock / pop / metal) and how people like Elivs, Hendrix, Holly, and bands like Zep, Beatles, Ratt etc. changed the couse of music history. Joking about Ratt of course so get back in your chairs and shake it off. :lol: But there is not that much out there (that I could find) about music after about 1990. I graduated from highschool in 1990, was into the 80s metal and pretty much stopped listening to new music about the time grunge came out. I was furious with Grunge - I was a happy child. Not that much agnst - and I did not want to kill my parents so it did not really appeal to me. I still have not and will not buy Nevermind. I also got into Jimmy Buffett in early 1991 and have listened to him and talk radio since then. So I'm an old guy (33) that's out of touch. What bands / people have really changed music since 1990 and how so? Who would you call modern day Beatles or Hendrix? Who came up with the idea to tune waaaaaaaaay down and play with a KFC bucket on your head? Where have all the solos gone? - sung to the tune of Where have all the cowboys gone...." :lol:

(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I've listened to grunge and I have most of Nirvana's stuff including nevermind and i don't recall anything about killing parents. And i don't get those feelings either so i don't know where you came up with that one.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I've listened to grunge and I have most of Nirvana's stuff including nevermind and i don't recall anything about killing parents. And i don't get those feelings either so i don't know where you came up with that one.

I agree. I mean I graduated in 87 and grew up with metal but when grunge came along I adopted it and I dont remember those feelings either.

As for solos, I am glad they are mostly gone. As a guitarist, soloig is fun but as a listener I dont like hearing one in every song.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

... and play with a KFC bucket on your head?

I think they're trying to be "the new DEVO".

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

The big name bands that i like that come to mind are Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers. there's a band that I like that never made it too big from the 90s that I like called Spiritualized.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Before Grunge there was alternative, many bands, some of my favorites were The Pixies, Violent Femmes, and even REM. Kurt Cobain probably started the Grunge thing, or at least made it popular. But he gave credit to bands before him remarking that Smells Like Teen Spirit sounded just like the Pixies. And it did with the quiet verses, that kicked into distortion and screaming during the choruses. So give my man Black Francis (later Frank Black) of the Pixies lots of credit for this major change, although they never gained huge popularity. They probably gained more popularity after they broke up in 1991.

I liked Grunge myself. It was more like Classic Rock. I really did not like too many bands in the 80's. It was just too contrived. Every guitar sounded like a synthsizer with super effects. The "Hair Bands" were silly and even embarrasing to me. So I liked the return to power chords. Sounded just like The Who, one of my all-time favorite bands.

I liked a lot of the 90's bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, and the Smashing Pumpkins. Hey, all of these bands played lots of great solos.

I think Korn was most responsible for the super down tuning thing. But also Limp Bizkit, and System of a Down.

There were still some bands playing a sort of mainstream Rock like Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Rage Against the Machine. Rage kinda combined Rock and Rap. RHCP were very Soul and Funk.

Just my 2 cents. But I liked music of the 90s until everybody started sounding the same.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

<---- The Pixies rule

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

The bands that changed everything for me in the 90's were Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Pop Will Eat Itself--bands that mixed a guitar-based pop sound with dance and house styles.

Later in the 90's my love of hip-hop made that one of the most important musical styles for me--Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Ice-T, and more recently Kool Keith, Deltron 3000 and others. Fatboy Slim's sample-heavy big beat sound was also huge for me and a big influence on the kind of music I like.

Gnarls Barkley's probably my favorite new band right now--they have a modern production sound and style but Cee-Lo's voice reminds me of Marvin Gaye and classic soul.

Otherwise everything goes through phases and personally I haven't been paying attention to much that's on the radio or being made now, but I've been delving into the catalogues of groups I either didn't get into the first time around or was just too young--Prince, Funkadelic, Chuck Berry.

I'm honestly not sure what the current trends are in terms of guitar music or who the big players are, but there's always something new to learn.

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

I am worried about getting out of touch with new bands and becoming all "that's not music!! In my day songs had a tune and people wore hats on their heads not used takeout containers"

However, new bands that I think have really got a different sound include Mars Volta (ex At The Drive In members), Bloc Party and Muse.

I have to say I love ATDI even though I only got into them after they became Mars Volta. I could listen to the Relationship of Command album on repeat for days. I like Mars Volta too but they are SO progressive that I find it hard to stay interested all the time. Their first full album was good though and the guitarist rocks.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I don't remember anything about killing parents in grunge either. Kurt liked his parents, his grandparents in particular. He even wrote to them saying he's the happiest he's ever been, just before going out on tour.

How is a 'happy' child 'furious' with grunge? If you're furious, how can you be happy?

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

We can debate all day long about which genre of music is better - or whatever. That's not really what this post was supposed to be about, but here goes:

"Grunge music is generally characterized by "dirty" guitar, strong riffs, and heavy drumming. The "dirty" sound resulted both from a stylistic change in the standard method of playing punk rock, and from the common use of guitar distortion and feedback. Grunge involves slower tempos and dissonant harmonies that are generally not found in punk. The lyrics are typically angst-filled — anger, frustration, ennui, sadness, fear, and depression are often explored in grunge songs. These lyrics may have come from the feelings of angst that are common in adolescence; many grunge musicians began their careers as teenagers or young adults." [and]

"Sometimes, the term may be used derisively, such as some observations that many members of the "goth" subculture may seem to outsiders to be in competition with each other as to who can give the most tragic account of his or her circumstances. These sorts of perceptions can produce a backlash in the general public, who accuse the members of the subculture of exaggerating the normal frustrations of life to ridiculous extremes in an attempt to solicit pity from listeners and to provide excuses for their situation. Thus, the description of such a person as "angst-ridden" may involve a note of sarcasm on the part of the speaker. Similar negative characterizations have been made of other subcultures, such as the "Beat Generation", the Grunge Rock movement, and various literary and artistic movements."

Ok, those are quotes from Wiki - which I know is not the Library of Congress - and everyone has their own opinion - but "I" think that generaly describes grunge pretty well. My formitive years (is that a word?) were about 86-90. I was interested in - like the proverbial song - Nuthin But A Good Time. Camaros, guitars, Boone's Farm, hot chicks in plether skirts or jeans with the knees ripped out . . . least I digress. Now it's just soooooo cool to hate 80s metal. Yea I admit it was a bit foolish. I was never into the glam and flim flam. I like bands like Great White, GNR, Metallica, Faster Pussycat, Ratt - ok hair bands - so shoot me! As flashy and ridiculous as it might seem now, that was a fun time. That was fun music. That was great "hang out at the parking lot" music. That was "I hope I get lucky after the prom" music. That was "she dumped me and I fill bad, but that's ok because I'm cool and there will be others" music.

I liked it! And I also like Star Trek and I don't care who knows it ;)

I liked a few of the grunge songs. Very catchy and powerful. But it was the whole "attitude" that came a long with it. I started college in 1990 and it seemed everyone was so into not being into anything. Dirty flanel galore!!! People sitting around acting cool and ambivilent. Plus it was soooooo uncool to like a band that actually had a cd in the music store. Everyone acted like all bands were "sellouts" - whatever that means. Even the musicians were nutz. They worked their ass off to make music, get signed, sell it, and get $$ and then they seemed to hate themselves for it. If they did not want to "go commerical" they should have stayed in the garage.

Nevertheless (is that a word?) people - let's not fuss about who was better - Kirk (or is it Kurt?) Cobain or Brett Michaels . The original post was supposed to be "tounge in cheek" (what the heck does that mean?) Yea I took a little shot at grunge. But I'm still bitter and mad that they took my heavy metal rocker chicks away and converted them into unwashed flanel wearing hippies. Nooooooooooo I did not want to start that again..... Sorry. At least the 80s metal bands were honest. They wanted stardom, money, cars, women.... Sort of like the rappers today, no? and the image and music reflected it.

The grunge bands just irritated me. You see them selling out arenas, all over MTV, all over the radio, huge banners in music stores (wasn't Cobian on a Wheaties box?) and then they cry about all the attention and how they never wanted to be famous or rich. Those poor babies - it must have been soooo rough. I've been in bands. Believe you me that it's very easy to remain an undiscovered nobody - even if you have a good sound. To be famous and "make it" you have to try HARD. They all act like stardom was forced on them.

I really just wanted to know what people or bands do you think cause music to shift, improve, regress, etc. I don't think anyone can dispute that the advent ob the electric guitar changed things, Ray Charles, Elvis, Hendrix, The Beatles, Zep, Sabbath, and Brittany Spears had quite an effect on music. Who else, post 1990?

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Nicely said blutic1....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Not to beat a dead grungy horse but, here's another quote from wiki that I find pretty funny, yet sad at the same time: :(

"In the early 1990s, glam metal's popularity rapidly declined, after over a decade of success. While several factors played a role, the most often cited was the surge in popularity of grunge music from Seattle, such as that performed by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains. (Ironically, Alice in Chains started as a glam metal band, and opened for Van Halen on their 1991 tour in support of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.)

One element in the decline was the significant role that music television played in glam metal's success. While alternative rock was more serious in tone, it contained many of the elements that made glam metal so ideal for music television, including its own visual style in the way of "grunge" fashion. As MTV shifted its attention to the new style, glam metal bands found themselves relegated more and more often to Headbanger's Ball and late night airplay, and almost entirely disappeared from the channel by early 1994. Given glam metal's lack of a major format presence at radio, bands were left without a clear way to reach their audience.

Another factor the contributed to the decline of glam metal was the general "out with the old" attitude often held by the status quo whenever a new decade comes around (not unlike the popular hatred of disco in the early 1980s). With the influx of alternative music as the "new" genre, rock bands that did not adhere to the format were often dismissed as passé. Even bands who altered their style to match the new sound found themselves dismissed as "80s bands".

As grunge grew to greater success, many glam metal bands discovered that their labels were no longer supportive. Many major labels felt they had been caught off-guard by the somewhat surprise success of Nirvana's Nevermind, and had begun turning over their personnel in favor of younger staffers more versed in "alternative" music. Jani Lane of Warrant commented on the change in a late-1990s interview with MTV, noting that he knew his band was in trouble when he walked into his label's offices and noticed that the prominent Warrant display had been replaced by one of Alice in Chains. Nearly all of the popular glam metal bands found themselves dropped from their respective labels by the middle of the 1990s.

In a notable irony, many grunge and alternative music bands, who had established their careers by professing anti-corporate attitudes, wound up signing contracts with major record labels. At the same time, many glam-metal bands, once considered proponents of "corporate rock", ended up signing with independent labels. Labels such as CMC International and Perris Records were aware that glam metal had an audience, and were more than willing to help bring the music to its fanbase.

The decline in glam metal was further compounded by many key '80s metal bands, glam or otherwise, coincidentally either breaking up, losing significant band members, and/or releasing new albums that largely displeased existing fans. For example, Ozzy Osbourne announced his retirement, Vince Neil was briefly fired from Mötley Crüe, and C.C. DeVille left Poison.

Some critics wondered if the state of the country in the early 1990s may have had an effect on glam metal's popularity. Given that the US was going through a major recession at the beginning of the decade, several critics wondered if music fans had simply rejected the high-spirited nature of glam metal for the more serious attitudes put forth by grunge bands. Where glam metal as a genre tended to avoid topics such as politics, new bands such as Pearl Jam placed themselves at the center of the political battles associated with the 1992 US Presidential election."

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

There was more to the 90's than grunge......... how about trying any other genre of music, non-grunge artists that I adored from the 90's included Massive Attack and Elliot Smith. However, I loved grunge as well :P

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Are Guns N' Roses 80's or 90's?

Don't forget that the old artists from the 60's 70's still released/are releasing music in the 90's and 00's..Elton John, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, The Who, have all come out with new material in the last 15 years.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3