Clear all

In dire need of an acoustic guitar...

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm wondering anyone has any suggestions...I'd like to get one that'll last me, not one of the cheap $50 guitars, but something under $225 or something.

Thanks.

(@ohblahitsme)
Eminent Member

Hey, I just bought an acoustic from Guitar Center about 3 months ago. I bought a Yahmaha FG700S. I got it for $200, but it seems the price has gone up. Heres the link for Musicians Friend:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FS700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like a great guitar reading the reviews...How's the action high up the fretboard?

ReplyQuote
(@ohblahitsme)
Eminent Member

I think the action is fine from the factory. I didn't get mine set up after buying it and it feels fine to me.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I could hook you up with something used for about that.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I think the action is fine from the factory. I didn't get mine set up after buying it and it feels fine to me.
Cool cool.

And thanks Nick, I sent you a PM.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I could hook you up with something used for about that.

DO IT! I bought an acoustic off Nick three years ago and I've loved it ever since! The man knows guitars......

I've not really had that many acoustics in my life, but I did buy a nice Yamaha - just before I bought that one off Nick! - with a cutaway and active pickups. Very nice action, could play it well above the 12th fret without much trouble. I did post a couple of soundclips at the time, and everyone seemed to like the tone. Trouble was, the one I got off Nick was a real beauty and I got a good offer for the Yamaha, which was a bit redundant anyway.

I've played a couple of Yamahas since, and if I was buying another acoustic at a reasonable price, Yamaha would be the first brand I looked at.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

I just bought a new acoustic from Guitar Center on Friday. My price range was $200-$300 as well. I played everything in the store (including the Yamaha) and believe it or not, this one sounded best to me:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-V200S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514520

And at $199 it was at the bottom of my price range. My advice, play a bunch before you decide. I would have never expected to go home with this model before the trip to the guitar store. But, I'm sooooo glad I did. She is one sweet axe.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

alvarez has some good cheapies.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a month or two past when walking thru GC I saw an Epiphone sunburst on a stand. I strummed it as I walked by. it sounded really good. I froze in my tracks and did it again. really nice. I picked it up. the tag read 99$.
these are the China made guitars. not bad. I was surprised.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It is slightly over that price but you could consider a Seagull or an Art & Lutherie.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Alvarez RD20S.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hey Kevin!

In addition to the others (and certainly speak w/Nick on the used guitar), I would take a look at an Ovation. They make some pretty good low priced guitars. I own one and love it. Of course, make yuour way down to the local shop and play as many as possible before you decide.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try some acoustics out tomorrow.

ReplyQuote