Clear all

Incredible Voice

32 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I know this isn't guitar, but it is music. Over 38 millions hits on Youtube so far, since April 11th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY&feature=related

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

God I'm sick of that woman, she's been in the news so much it's ridiculous.

It happened a couple years ago here on America's got Talent (I think) with a guy that looked half-retarded (sorry best term I could come up with) and got a $1,000,000 deal in Vegas.....which lasted about 6 months I think, but he sang opera like nobody's business and was just as good if not better than her.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

God I'm sick of that woman, she's been in the news so much it's ridiculous.

+1 :evil:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I must be living under a stone or something.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

She's a scottish woman from Britain's Got Talent, ever since she opened her mouth to sing (she's got a great voice, don't get me wrong) she's been all over the news. CBS Early Show, Today Show, etc....and it's been non stop with even the Evening News.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I just hate how everyone is reacting to this. She does have an amazing voice, but watching people's reactions on the video and on the internet, it's like they are surprised that someone that is "ugly" can sing well (quotes because I'm referring to society's definition of ugly). The beautiful pop stars that are shoved down everyone's throats has convinced them that you must be glamorous and sexy to be able to sing. Most of the time, they either take someone that has talent and they photoshop, nip, tuck and lift them up to expectations, or they take someone that is pretty and auto-tune and process their voice into a musically acceptable thing.

Let me just put away my soapbox, now. Checks that this is in Opinions...good.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

It should be mandatory for people to go to an opera at some point in their lives.
For one thing, you learn that "the fat lady" who sings so well . . . isn't necessarily that pretty.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That's why I never went to the opera

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just hate how everyone is reacting to this. She does have an amazing voice, but watching people's reactions on the video and on the internet, it's like they are surprised that someone that is "ugly" can sing well (quotes because I'm referring to society's definition of ugly). The beautiful pop stars that are shoved down everyone's throats has convinced them that you must be glamorous and sexy to be able to sing. Most of the time, they either take someone that has talent and they photoshop, nip, tuck and lift them up to expectations, or they take someone that is pretty and auto-tune and process their voice into a musically acceptable thing.

Let me just put away my soapbox, now. Checks that this is in Opinions...good.

I totally agree. Guilty as charged.

I remember watching it for the first time last night and thinking to myself that I didn't expect a broadway style voice out of her. I didn't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Ir reminded me of Sarah Brightman singing the song "Memories" that came from Cats. I do think part of the cheering is because she has such a nice, pleasant, unassuming personality...from what little I/we saw anyhow. I can't not root for someone like that no matter what they look like. I mean, the whole poor middle aged lady from the sticks with an absolutely precious demeanor thing is nice. I wonder, had she been a grouchy type, would the audience have been all thrilled about her like they were?

Still, I'm as guilty as anyone. I get this when I play golf. Gray haired, bearded fat biker guy who's just thrilled to be out playing golf. I see the disappointment in pretty boys' faces when paired with 'em. Next thing they know, I've had honors for about 6 straight holes as their games have gone to crud. It's quite fun to help them search for their golf balls in the woods offering insincere words of empathy. :twisted: :twisted:

Back to the voice, though. I know it's only a one song comparison, but I listened to "Memories" afterwards and found both voices equally beautiful.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

. . . . offering insincere words of empathy.
:lol:

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well roy I've always thought of golf as an elist sport anyway and I've gottent he same looks as you...and maybe at some point I deserved them since my game is so erractic now.

But in general it's not like experienced guitar players showing you how to play a riff or something, I've found (and this is only my general opinion) that better golfers DO NOT enjoy playing with beginners or novices.

There may be a few out there but for the most part no.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well roy I've always thought of golf as an elist sport anyway and I've gottent he same looks as you...and maybe at some point I deserved them since my game is so erractic now.

But in general it's not like experienced guitar players showing you how to play a riff or something, I've found (and this is only my general opinion) that better golfers DO NOT enjoy playing with beginners or novices.

I have to agree with you on all counts.....except I've never seen you play golf. Another comparison between the two hobbies, though, and I agree that guitarists win the Class award so far with this one. Speaking as you were, in generallities, of course.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I've found (and this is only my general opinion) that better golfers DO NOT enjoy playing with beginners or novices.

Nope it slows the game down to have to wait for them to shoot a 7 or 8 or 9 on every hole, and gets kind of boring.....and when I say them I mean me :cry:

At least that's my experience as well.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Joe,

It's that and more. There is one thing that no one can ever complain about me on the golf course and that is being slow. Heck I can play a round and shoot 105 faster than most people can shoot 76, but in reality I've found a lot of the "better" golfer's are pretty slow.

They've watched to much golf on TV and they stand over every shot like they are playing in the Masters or something and then forget about it when you get to the green these idiots are plum bobbing the hole from every angle..

That's the one thing I hate most about golf, the arrogant, attitude of many of the people that play...and slow play is the worst.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

As a novice, I can certainly backup your claim. If I could approach golf like I approach the guitar, I'd probably be much better. I know I don't have the skills to play fast solos and run up and down the neck, so I stick to chords and rhythm. I should play golf that way, just work on hitting it straight and easy. But, no! Years of playing baseball and softball have ingrained in my head that if I am holding a stick and there is a ball nearby, I must hit that ball as far away from me as possible. In baseball, it's "oops, foul ball, try again." In golf, it's "did my ball just go 90 degrees to the right, bounce off a tree onto the cart path and roll into the pond? Where do I play THAT from?"

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3