Clear all

Incredible Voice

32 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, the score is pretty much secondary to the pace thing. There's a certain pace and state of readiness that newbies don't yet understand or practice. I don't care what you score. When it's your turn, you need to be ready for your pre-shot routine and address the ball. 1 minute isn't much until you multiply it out by the number of shots. I'm not sure what the parrallel would be in guitar playing. Maybe not showing up to a friend's house to jam with a need to change the strings? Or with cnev, showing up to band practice having practiced your assigned material.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

yea I've never had a problem with being slow on the golf course even when I was a beginner but it irritates the heck out me if I play with a slow player and I don't care if he's shooting 120 or 68 slow is slow...of course it's a bit worse when you get one of those 120 shooters that has some ridiculous pre-shot routine that takes what seems to be hours only to see them beat the ball in the ground. Did you relly need to take that long to hit that shot? I think some of these people would actually benefit in speeding their game up and get in some type of rhythm.

Is this the Golf Channel forum?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

In golf, it's good if people clap quietly for you. Playing guitar, that's not such a good thing.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

In golf, it's good if people clap quietly for you. Playing guitar, that's not such a good thing.

What's an awesome statement to get this thread back on topic! :lol:

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ok this not meant to be mean in any way but is it just me or does she look like a guy? I just happened to see something on the internet about her new look and they had a bunch of pictures and she really has the facial features of a man.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Maybe one of your groupies?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That's not even funny! HA

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

ZING!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I must be living under a stone or something.
News for those living under a rock . . .
Here's the latest contender that is supposed to give Susan Boyle a run for the money . . . or whatever the prize is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVU4IkzMNIo

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I'm rooting for the kid, I don't watch the show, but it would be good to see a kid win a show like this.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm rootin' for the gentle middle aged lady from Scotland. Either way, there's gonna be a couple of record deal offers for each. Only because the dream has been a longer one.

Poor kid though. He's gonna start changing voices really soon. Better record all he can now before he winds up with a voice like mine. :lol: :lol:

I also hate the staged stuff of this show. Chief judge dude (Simon, I think his name is) had that scripted for sure. I'm a cynic. Besides, the kid didn't look too upset when he was stopped. Regardless of anything, that kid's got himself some pipes too. More modern style, which gets lost on me, but no denying talent.

We had a local boy make it big from the show, was camp counselor at the local Y to some neighbor kids, etc. He finished 2nd and has several albums out. He must still be doing OK. Still the subject of comedians' jokes after all these years. I just don't get chastised any more for suggesting he might be a little light in the loafers.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I also hate the staged stuff of this show. Chief judge dude (Simon, I think his name is) had that scripted for sure. I'm a cynic. Besides, the kid didn't look too upset when he was stopped.

The New York Post agrees with you.
Here's what written about the "staged" reactions of the judges to Susan Boyle's singing.
"The notion that Cowell was unaware of Boyle's existence, let alone discordant looks and talent level, before she ever took the stage, is flatly ridiculous," - Maureen Callahan, New York Post

Callahan describes the whole Boyle saga as "the classic David vs. Goliath" story, with "the primal satisfaction of seeing the bully (Cowell) slain by such a seemingly inferior force."
"And there is the profound desire for this entire thing to be authentic, which in and of itself suggests that it probably isn't. Not since P.T. Barnum has there been a show business master of the trompe l'oeil like Simon Cowell."

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Been reading these posts so...

Yeah...she's quite good...but NO "money notes"!

Sorry if I rained on any p'rades :oops:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Been reading these posts so...

Yeah...she's quite good...but NO "money notes"!

Sorry if I rained on any p'rades :oops:

Cat

+1

Cowell is master of the set up story and the carefully edited video 'reactions'. He did it last year with Paul Potts (who is also a chubby and not exactly good looking bloke, with a suitably heart-tugging background tale of being bullied etc.). Potts had a reasonably good voice too (despite a bit of a lisp in it) and the rushed out CD sold well on the back of the hype.

This is a pretty much a repeat of the same stunt. Unknown ordinary looking person is carefully set up to look like another dud, but then triumphantly dazzles with the unexpectedly wonderful voice. The notion that the judges had no idea what they could do is laughable, but the punters seem to love falling for it - so they keep running it.

But, as Cat says, she doesn't actually have a wonderful voice. It's just a good voice singing a great song. The real stars there are the song itself and the carefully contrived theatre of her triumphing against the odds. Fair enough, it was apparently successful entertainment.

I sing in a choir and we sing that same song. There are several women in the choir who could sing it as well or better.

I wish her the best of luck. Good entertainment no doubt, and a good performance, but as Cat said "NO money notes" and not a patch on the real top liners. That doesn't mean she won't build a following and sell a bunch of CDs if Cowell's company gets behind her though. I wish her well, but after she did nothing with a couple of the real opportunities in that song I didn't make it right to the end... sorry...

Cheers,

Chris

PS Yeah... I'm a bastard - now I'm gunna tell you there ain't no Santa Claus either... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

PS Yeah... I'm a bastard - now I'm gunna tell you there ain't no Santa Claus either... :wink:

What!? :shock:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3