Introducing band members

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A quick one:

If you are the designated "band MC" introducing members, how do you introduce yourself?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I've seen many bands that have another person speak up after the frontman has introduced everyone, and say something like

"...And up front singing for y'all is our very own (insert joke here).. ThreeGTRZ!!!... Let's hear it for him!!" etc, etc.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

"and I'm Carl Zappa."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Laura usually does our introductions, and she often says: "And I'm the beer wench!"

Also, we try to do our introductions during the intro to a song, or in the quiet spot just after the guitar solo - keeps the flow going. Although sometimes it's a useful cover if someone is changing guitars or some such.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I've never done introductions, I don't think. I remember our last gig in december - I mentioned the drummer after a difficult piece - and the singer has introduced me as Dr. Nosewater. I think in many cases, it might be more professional, or classy, to not do intros. I mean, if your getting a following people might know who you are by the record or website or facebook, but in most club and bar scenes no one is going to care who you are. I say introduce the band name every now and than and where they can check you out.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

What I prefer, both as a musician and as a fan, is to acknowledge an outstanding performance promptly, and introduce the entire band once (and only once) per set. Remember that you're going to mingle with the crowd between sets, so make it easy for them to talk with you.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Thought I'd be the odd one so I didn't respond but I'm not sure. I just prefer plugging the band and not individuals and definitely not during each set unless you are only talking about the band name.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I'm in cnev's boat, especially in a cover band. Introduce the band itself and make sure the crowd hears your name several times.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote