Clear all

Is this a good first guitar?

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 O.T
(@o-t)
Topic starter  

I am currently considering the Yamaha FG700S. Would this be a good beginner guitar? Looking forward to meeting people here and learning!

(@number6)
Estimable Member

I haven't played it, but Yamaha makes pretty good guitars. I'm quite happy with my APX500.

I suppose it doesn't matter quite as much with an acoustic guitar, but it could be useful if you told us what kinds of things you wanted to play.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
 O.T
(@o-t)
Topic starter  

I want to play other songs on the radio play my own covers mainly.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

haven't tried that guitar, sorry.

main things to check are does it hold its tuning well? does the neck feel comfortable to play (can you hold it comfortably, no rough edges, etc)? if you know anyone who plays guitar, even a little bit, I'd suggest taking them with you and getting them (and you) to try the guitar before buying.

welcome to the forums mate, hope you find it as useful as I and others have!

let us know how you get on with that purchase, too.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I had one at one time and it should serve you well. It will give you plenty of sound. It's a bit bass heavy, but I think you'll have a lot of fun with it. Try it right out of the box, and if you need one, a set-up will still keep your money outlay very reasonable. Enjoy and good luck.

Denny

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

If you're getting the guitar at music store; I highly recommend that you get it setup. Invariably most stores will include a free setup with the purchase.
A well setup guitar is a pleasure to play.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

You should go to a store and try out a few guitars. You may like the tone of oneover the other. One guitar may feel better in your hans over another. At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable with the one you choose. I realize that this will be your first guitar and you may not know what you're looking for BUT at least you'll be able to see/hear the differences in other guitars.

Yamaha makes a good guitar, no doubt. You should play it first though!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I have played some Yamaha guitars and I can say that they are made pretty well.

Try it for yourself in the store.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

As I've stated a few times before an FG Yamaha Dred was the first guitar i bought for myself back in the mid '70s and altho she's battered and bruised, she still sounds great and plays well.
it's usually the first guitar i reach for. that said, you still need to try them out because guitars will vary in tone and quality even within the same model.
and a set up is definitely the best investment you can make after your purchase (if it's not included)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 O.T
(@o-t)
Topic starter  

what do you mean setup? why would it not come ready to play?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't think you're going to get a piece of junk from Yamaha. They're good guitars for the money. As for setup, with an acoustic there's not much beyond making sure the truss rod's properly set. And I expect it will be right out of the box.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote