0 Likes
(@neztok)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe62LFmYMCY

Anybody got any better excuses?

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I knew I'd find that clip get attention here. I go in to an involuntary studder and drool when ever I see it. The sillyness. bah!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Truer words have never been said..."There's real G.A.S. in these tubes".
You said it brutha.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I gotta admit it. A tube amp for your home stereo is sort of...silly and pretentious. Just my opinion- if you have or want one, no harm or offence intended.

For my guitar, tubes are cool. It's part of the instrument- the way the sound patterns change as you push it harder...so cool.

But my home stereo is supposed to reproduce exactly what's recorded, as nearly as possible. So no overdrive or distortion required or desired. Solid state will do the job, and well.

(And therefore leave me more $$ to buy guitar toys with.)

:-)
Ande

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

The video seems to have been removed from YouTube, so I only saw it once. I don't get the ad. Is the man trying to sell the amp? Is he thinking about buying the amp? Is he trying to figure out why it cost so much?...

Stupid ad.

I've lived with solid-state stereo amps and tube stereo amps, and if I could get my little Dynaco Stereo 70 back, I would do it in a heartbeat. Watt for watt it sounded better than any SS receivers I've known.
A tube amp for your home stereo is sort of...silly and pretentious. Just my opinion- if you have or want one, no harm or offence intended.

Gosh, who could possibly be offended by "silly and pretentious"? :roll:
For my guitar, tubes are cool. It's part of the instrument- the way the sound patterns change as you push it harder...so cool.

OK... yes... and...
But my home stereo is supposed to reproduce exactly what's recorded, as nearly as possible. So no overdrive or distortion required or desired.

You seem to be supposing that tube stereo amps perform identically to tube guitar amps, which in my experience is not so. The tube stereo amps I've known (as an owner and as a drone in the repair business) didn't begin to break up at all until pushed to ridiculously high sound pressure levels(even my 35wpc Dynaco), and then only with a touch of lovely "bloom" in the bass. (This has seemed consistent amp to amp.) I'm not an engineer -- don't know amp architecture at all -- so maybe there's a bench tech on the boards who can explain this.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote