It's been a funny o...

Notifications
Clear all

It's been a funny old day....

Page 1 / 2

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's the first day of the new football (soccer, if you're American) season and I haven't touched a guitar all day....that in itself is a rarity, but to be away from GN for about 10 hours, well, that's just mind-boggling.....

I watched the Arsenal v West Bromwich Albion game at lunch time. (This'll be of interest to Laz, if no-one else!) Well, it was the first televised game of the season....Arsenal scored after four minutes, and I thought they were going to score about 10 - strangely, there were no more goals. They looked good, though, Dan! They're getting that nice passing game back together - good movement off the ball, and getting all the basics right - good short passing, always looking to go forward.

Then I watched the Sky Sports coverage of the 3pm matches. This is a weird thing, exclusive to us Brits - we watch former footballers watching televised matches and commenting. I won some money on a bet - I guessed Chris Kamara's first word would be "Unbelievable!" and it was.

Watched the results come in, then Liverpool's game was televised. Hmm, I lied about not touching a guitar - I played "You'll Never Walk Alone" because it was an away match. Thanks for the tab, Greybeard. (That's just to keep it on topic, or at least have some musical content.)

Liverpool won, of course - they played badly, but won. Hopefully that's a good sign! And of course, Fernando Torres scored the winner. (Another music reference....Abba song...."Can you see the goal, Fernando?")

And of course, as Liverpool won, I had to go to the off-license for a few drinks to celebrate.....so it was after 10.30 pm before I fired the old computer back up! And of course, too late to plug the electric in.....

Oh well, there's all day tomorrow not touched yet....Man U's match is televised, Chelsea's match is televised, but I won't watch those - got to catch up on guitar! And of course, there'll be the new SSG assignment....although these days, due to the time difference, it's more like the MSG......

Oh and Dan (Laz) - you're not thinking of coming back to England anytime soon, are you? As much as enjoyed the jam at Scrybe's house, you didn't bring my team much luck when you went to see the Man U v Liverpool game....we got beat 3-0. Please tell me you're not coming over till at least October?

Right - got some catching up to do. Going to have to play unplugged electric.....thankfully, it's a Tele!

Oh and a music/football related question.....I once heard that the Four Seasons song, "Oh What A Night (December '63) was written about a vist to Liverpool Football Club by Frankie Valli - I've heard that George Harrison took him to watch a match, but I've also heard that it was McCartney who took him - the game in question was on Boxing Day, 1963, when Liverpool beat Stoke 6-1 and Roger Hunt scored four goals.....anyone know if this is true, based on fact, or merely apocrypha?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Glad to know you enjoyed the football. How about the Olympics ?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Glad to know you enjoyed the football. How about the Olympics ?

Not much interest, to be honest - although one of the British cyclists lives in Newton-le Willows, and he's a friend of my youngest daughter, and her and all of her friends are rooting for him. Apart from that, it's kind of passed me by - got enough to watch with the football, the cricket and Rugby League. Strangely enough, though, I was reading an article the other day on the American swimmer who's hoovering up every gold available....it said he's 6'5" tall, and unlike most of the human race, his armspan, at 6'7", is greater than his height. I'm also 6'5" tall, so I just HAD to measure my wingspan - want to take a wild guess at how long it is? I'll give you a clue, it's two inches greater than MY height...although Mr Phelps (if I've remembered his name correctly....) has size 14 feet, mine are a mere size 11....although if that size 14 is American size, that'd make me a 12....

I should have never stopped going to the swimming pool - stopped going on a regular basis when my youngest daughter was (A) swimming without my aid, and without any artificial aids, and (B) old enough to go with her friends.....it's the finest all-round exercise there is, works almost every muscle in the body.....

Ah well, I can always give my hands a good workout, playing guitar.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Arsenal v ManU May 16th is the current plan...

"You are my Solskjaer, my only Solskjaer..."

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Strangely enough, though, I was reading an article the other day on the American swimmer who's hoovering up every gold available....it said he's 6'5" tall, and unlike most of the human race, his armspan, at 6'7", is greater than his height. I'm also 6'5" tall, so I just HAD to measure my wingspan - want to take a wild guess at how long it is? I'll give you a clue, it's two inches greater than MY height...although Mr Phelps (if I've remembered his name correctly....) has size 14 feet, mine are a mere size 11....although if that size 14 is American size, that'd make me a 12....

Another thing that helps him is that his torso is ridiculously long while his legs are actually very short (they said his legs are only as long as someone who was 6'0). I also read an article on Phelps and they said he consumes 12,000 calories a day. Think about that. That's almost as much as the average person consumes in an entire week. They also listed a typical day's menu for him and it wasn't even all that healthy. I guess it helps when one of his workouts burns 4000 calories.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's apparently healthy enough for him.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm the other way round to Mr Phelps, then - short torso, long legs! Anybody else here have to buy men's jeans with a 36" inside leg? I read that article about his diet - his breakfast alone is a couple of day's food intake for me.

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Also I was watching the match. Torres only need a meter to do a goal. I know you name it Nando but for he will always be El Niño.

And, of course, I'm watching Olympics. Congrats to the USA people for the basketball match. We lost but I enjoyed a lot seeing it. I hope we play again in the final. The same for the Williams' sisters against our gals. And today Rafa Nadal. Great guy.

And what do you say about Usain Bolt? Amazing.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

12000 calories in a day ? And then buring 4000 of them ?

Now I understand how he turns out to be a gold machine.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Anybody else here have to buy men's jeans with a 36" inside leg?

*raising my hand* :D

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Strangely enough, though, I was reading an article the other day on the American swimmer who's hoovering up every gold available....it said he's 6'5" tall, and unlike most of the human race, his armspan, at 6'7", is greater than his height. I'm also 6'5" tall, so I just HAD to measure my wingspan - want to take a wild guess at how long it is? I'll give you a clue, it's two inches greater than MY height...although Mr Phelps (if I've remembered his name correctly....) has size 14 feet, mine are a mere size 11....although if that size 14 is American size, that'd make me a 12....

I should have never stopped going to the swimming pool

Hey Vic, if you start training now, you've got 4 years until the next Olympics... maybe you could give Phelps a race for the ages!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Oh and a music/football related question.....I once heard that the Four Seasons song, "Oh What A Night (December '63) was written about a vist to Liverpool Football Club by Frankie Valli - I've heard that George Harrison took him to watch a match, but I've also heard that it was McCartney who took him - the game in question was on Boxing Day, 1963, when Liverpool beat Stoke 6-1 and Roger Hunt scored four goals.....anyone know if this is true, based on fact, or merely apocrypha?

Vic
Vic I heard that too, but it was 6-2.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yeah...Aussies love soccer. They'll even cheer for the Pommies...

Phelps? GREAT in the pool...BUT...LOOK at little Australia's medal tally! Not too bad for 20 1/2 million.

Hey! Can anyone PLEASE tell me how in the freakin' blazes ping pong is an Olympic Sport??? I mean...c'mon...IMAGINE Hercules at the ancient olympics playing ping pong???

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ping pong has it over beach volley ball. beach volley ball!!??? sheesh.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I mean...c'mon...IMAGINE Hercules at the ancient olympics playing ping pong???

Or Aphrodite, Artemis, Athena and Demeter in the Synchronised Swimming? How ridiculous is THAT!!!

Oh well, enough of this sporting tittle-tattle - I have guitars that are feeling seriously neglected. As well as a list of "Songs To Work On" as long as, if not longer than, my Phelpian arm......

Vic

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2