Clear all

It's official, I'm old

37 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I turned the big two five last month. However the fact my birthday was last month and me figuring out I'm old has nothing to do with each other. So I don't actually think I'm old because I'm 25. I've been watching MuchMusic (the canadian version of MTV) and found a lot of the same style of music. I could put it into 3 categories: rap, solo pop artists and punk bands whose music is but a smidgen heavier than the pop music. While this is what is usually on the channel I was surprised nothing I like is on the station anymore. Slipknot has a big hit on my radio station. More surprisingly, Creed just got back together but they have yet to show up on the station at all. Creed was HUGE when I was in high school so I was surprised not to see them. I know now it's because back then I was in the age group that decided what was cool and what wasn't. Now, not so much.

Another thing that confirmed this was Shirley Manson stating that Guitar Hero is holding rock music in the mainstream. My first thoughts were that rock doesn't need any help. Now looking at what's "in" there maybe some truth to that. I grew up in the 90's where grunge was "in." Bands got their starts in underground bars and clubs. You had heavy drums, dirty guitar riffs and even dirtier rockers. In it's place I get bands that got their starts on the disney channel who don't know what a gain knob is and are bathed and in bed by 8pm.

One thing a promised myself I've never become is one of those people who say "music in my day was better." Their is nothing wrong with the music other than I don't like it. It has given me an understanding why people say that though. The music we grew up with is better because everything was targeted towards us.

One last part to my rant: It's all well too behaved. What happend to rock being about rebellion? It's all so pretty, very little complaining. The lyrics aren't very dark and there is very little booze, sex and general disregard for the opinion of others. You people are setting a good example to our children and it needs to stop! When I was your age I wasn't respecting my elders and getting good grades. I was sneaking out the window during class, getting detention for it and sneaking out of detention through the window. I still got good grades but that's besides the point. Kids today have no disrespect for their elders.

Anyone have any thoughts about this or their own story of when they realized they we're too old to be mainstream, please share. Please don't post that 25 isn't old. I'm aware of that.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You're not old, you're grown up.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

+1.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I love this post. great observations. you have insight now. it is one of the gifts of age.
early rock and roll seems pretty tame to the punk years. anarchy and rock went together so well.
grunge sort of swallowed itself alive. too bad.
looks like it is up to you to bring out rock n' rage again.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You're OLD ! :lol:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have to agree with you I feel the same about the music and I am alot older but I never bought into "they don't make music like they used to" that's just a bunch of crap.

I think there are still bands out there that have that true rock n roll spirit but it's much harder to find them since "the industry" saturates every media with the pop group of the day.

Seeing a bunch of short haired clean shaven guys play just doesn't scream rock n roll to me.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

25 ....... Shirley Manson ........ My daughter is 24 1/2 .......... she loves Garbage, especially shirley Manson. For what that's worth. Yup, that's just the first stage of new music moving in behind you and the music you were raised on. There will be more to come. Rock music is like wine though and improves with age. Why? Because only the good stuff survives. Thats why people say music was better in their day. The only songs still around are the good ones. Current music is throwing everything it has at us, the bad and the good. There are always new groups and songs I like, like Shirley and Garbage. I remember when that was the "new" stuff. Think I'll listen to some right now. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Anyone have any thoughts about this or their own story of when they realized they we're too old to be mainstream, please share.

The game changer was when I learned that the Pistols only got together because they hung out at a clothing shop and owner McLaren wanted a weird looking band to help sell his weird looking clothes.

I realized rock's about fashion, not rebellion.

And I became younger then, not older.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I don't really wanna hear about feeling old from a 25 year old. I really don't. :wink:

But seriously, I loved this:
You people are setting a good example to our children and it needs to stop!

Enough said- good music involves tension. Not just the musical tension that can be resolved by drifting back into the dominant chords of a key, but also the other kind. Tension between what you're saying and what's said around you. Tension between what's on the inside and what's on the outside.
I realized rock's about fashion, not rebellion.

Too often true, but it depends on the rock.

Here's the solution: Don't worry about what's mainstream. Don't worry about what those clean cut young people are doing. Listen to everything you can, cause you never know where you're going to find something. But play what you wanna play.

I don't think it's about age necessarily. I'm pushin forty, and know people a lot older than me who are mainstream. I wasn't really mainstream when I was 19.

Who is Shirley Manson?

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Who is Shirley Manson?

She's the lead singer of an alternative band called Garbage. Her digital likeness (along with Matt Bellamy, Johnny Cash and Kurt Cobain) was featured in Guitar Hero 5 were she made the comment about rock I referred to in my original post. They are still around today but were most popular in the 90's. Their drummer Butch Vig also produced Nirvana's Nevermind.

Dang kids today with your Jimmy Pages. In my day I walked 15 miles, up hill, both ways just to wear holes in my jeans.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Dang kids today with your Jimmy Pages. In my day I walked 15 miles, up hill, both ways just to wear holes in my jeans.

In the snow! :?

I don't feel that rock is in danger- just that it's...never been a majority taste when it was at it's best.

Where I'm living, in Ecuador, hard rock music is seen as an antisocial tendency. It has a very strong following amongst the young, the disaffected, the misfits and the rebels. For me, this is where the best rock will always come from, not from being mainstream.

Your opinion- should I find Garbage, and listen to them- worth my time? (some of my best recent music discoveries come from the advice of young'uns like yourself. )

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

I grew up in the 90's where grunge was "in." Bands got their starts in underground bars and clubs. You had heavy drums, dirty guitar riffs and even dirtier rockers. In it's place I get bands that got their starts on the disney channel who don't know what a gain knob is and are bathed and in bed by 8pm.
I'm a decade behind you. I remember wondering "what the heck this "grunge" stuff was and what is up with all the flannel? Where did all the hair go?" :lol:

I grew up in the hair band days. That was a big shock moving into the 90's.

I hear you on the Disney stuff. I have 2 girls, 6 and 9. If I listen to anything on the radio other than my classic rock station (of which there's only 1 decent station) then all I hear is Disney stuff or American Idol crap. It's either that or country, which I can't handle almost as bad as rap. Thank goodness the 6 yr old got an MP3 player for Christmas. If I had to hear Miley sing Party in the USA one more time, I would scream.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I grew up in the 90's where grunge was "in." Bands got their starts in underground bars and clubs. You had heavy drums, dirty guitar riffs and even dirtier rockers. In it's place I get bands that got their starts on the disney channel who don't know what a gain knob is and are bathed and in bed by 8pm.
I'm a decade behind you. I remember wondering "what the heck this "grunge" stuff was and what is up with all the flannel? Where did all the hair go?" :lol:

I grew up in the hair band days. That was a big shock moving into the 90's.

I hear you on the Disney stuff. I have 2 girls, 6 and 9. If I listen to anything on the radio other than my classic rock station (of which there's only 1 decent station) then all I hear is Disney stuff or American Idol crap. It's either that or country, which I can't handle almost as bad as rap. Thank goodness the 6 yr old got an MP3 player for Christmas. If I had to hear Miley sing Party in the USA one more time, I would scream.

I actually like hair metal. The music anyway. The outfits and hair were too much. Although what grunge artists lacked in big hair they made up for in 5 o clock shadows.

Just reading your post about Disney music reminded me of Cirlce of Life by Sir Elton John from the Lion King. Even the Disney music was better. Wow...........I can't believe it's come to saying the Disney songs of my day are better...........

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Your opinion- should I find Garbage, and listen to them- worth my time? (some of my best recent music discoveries come from the advice of young'uns like yourself. )

Best,
Ande

Absolutely!

My personal favorites are 'Stupid Girl" and the goth remix of "#1 Crush"

But, I'm a strange old coot . . .

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Just reading your post about Disney music reminded me of Cirlce of Life by Sir Elton John from the Lion King. Even the Disney music was better. Wow...........I can't believe it's come to saying the Disney songs of my day are better...........

didn't you ask us to kill you if you ever started saying things like this? I'm sure it's in the archives somewhere ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3