Clear all

Jackson Warrior (EVH STYLE!!)

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all you people, I just wanted to come on here and show you guys my latest project!

I painted my Jackson Warrior, black with yellow stripes in mind of EVH's paint job.

Enjoy,

BEFORE:

RIPPED APART, SANDED:

PRIMERED GREY:

YELLOW!!

TAPED OFF!

BLACK!!!

After Peeling, signing, and clear coating I bring you the grand finale!!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

The whole project took:

3 Cans of Rustoleum Yellow
3 Cans of Rustoleum Black
3 Cans of Rustoleum Clear
1 Can of Rustoleum Grey Primer
Exacto Knife
2 Sizes of 3M painters tape (1/4" & 1")
Jasco Paint Thinner
Paint brush
Electric Hand sander
Sand paper (400 grit)

and about 4 days of work.

I think it came out alright for an 18 year old in a garage, what do you guys think??

Thanks again!

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Nice job!
The fact you did that to your guitar is scary to me. I don't think I could ever sand down my guitar and do that. Very impressive!

Looks pretty cool 8)

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it was actually pretty surreal once I realized what I was doing. But then it was too late lol. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Looks like it turned out really well, good job. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Hey MetallicaMan, I've been planning on doing a similar project to my one electric (it's a strat copy that I want to paint red). Unfortunately, I'm out of work now and I'll have to wait until I get a permanant job.

I was just curious, did you use one of the john gleneicki books from paintyourownguitar.com? I'm just curious because he shows you how to do a similar paint job in the one book I have: except he shows a strat with the black and white stripes and a strat with that famous red "frankenstrat" look.

If you didn't use the book I'd be curious to find out how you did that (whether it's from a book, website or if you just figured it out yourself), as well as any tips.

Anyhow, it looks really cool, congrats!

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey steve-o.

Well, no I actually didn't use any books or anything like that. It all started out with the purchase of my new EVH Charvel back in january, I started to kind of obsess about the paint and how it was done. Youtube took about 80% of the role in this, seeing as there are about 10-15 videos on youtube of regular joes showing how they did their guitars. If you look around, some of the videos make it seem rather simple. So I just researched by watching youtube, and bought the supplies and dived head deep. The only advice I could offer is to give SEVERE amount of dry time for each and EVERY coat. Even the primer. Not too much on the primer, but the longer and drier everything is, the smoother and more professional it will look in the end. The only problem with my paint is I developed the wrinkly, rough paint like others have said with their projects and thats because the paint was too wet when I clear coated it. It came out alright for some spray cans and a garage. Honestly, if your going to do it, use high quality paints & allow DAYS inbetween coats. Especially if your in a humid condition. Those spray cans that say "quick dry, ready to handle in 15 minutes!!" is just a bunch of crap and you need to wait like 24 hrs between coats.

Thanks again guys, and good luck man.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Metallicaman,

Did you sand it down after each coat? I think that would help smooth the finish out also the problem with spray cans is they don't really give out a very fine mist like a spray gun would so you are prone to that wrinkly kind of finish, but it looks good anyway.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

No man actually I didnt. But yeah good idea. Yeah, the clear on it is starting to run thin already, so Im taking it easy on her.

Thanks

ReplyQuote