Clear all

jazz anyone?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been wanting to start listening to some good jazz. So, i was hoping someone or anyone could give me some pointers on good jazz music I should look into. so if you have some suggestions, fire away!

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Thelonious Monk is my favorite jazz pianist. Deffinately check him out on one of those free online music stations or something. Everybody here will likely suggest stuff by Miles Davis. Bit**** Brew is my personal favorite jazz/fusion album. For great guitar jazz, you can check out anything by Wes Montgomery or Charlie Christian.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Back At The Chicken Shack" by Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell is a classic.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Great jazz guitar: Joe Pass

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ive previewed some Miles Davis and John Coltrane stuff and i like it. thanks guys...anymore suggestions are of course welcome

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Jazz is such a broad arena it helps to know what your tastes are.

If you like more fusion/rock stuff, check out Al DiMeola.

Lately I've been really enjoying Medeski, Martin and Wood.

You can't go wrong with Django of course.

One of my favorite Big Band/Vocal CD's is Ella Fitzgerald singing in front of Chick Webb and his Orchestra -- It's "The Legendary Ella Fitzgerald Volume I: The Early Years"

Some of my favorite albums that are something of a "standard" collection (but by no means complete and definitely light on vocal jazz):

Miles Davis -- Kind of Blue, In A Silent Way, Birth of the Cool
John Coltrane -- A Love Supreme, Giant Steps
Charles Mingus -- Mingus Ah Um
Thelonious Monk -- Brilliant Corners, Monk's Dream
Dave Brubeck -- Time Out
Cannonball Adderley -- Somethin' Else
Grant Green --Idle Moments
Mahavishnu Orchestra -- Inner Mounting Flame
Sonny Rollins -- Sax Colossus
Louis Armstrong -- Hot Fives and Sevens
Duke Ellington -- Money Jungle
Lester Young -- With The Oscar Peterson Trio
Django Rheinhardt -- Djangology
Kenny Burrell -- Midnight Blue
Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd -- Jazz Samba
Count Basie -- Count Basie Swings, Joe Williams Sings

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'll second MMW -- gotta love Medeski's nasty Hammond B3 sounds.

For a modern take, I highly recommend a CD called 'Action Figure Party.' It's a collaborative effort by many artists also using the same name of Action Figure Party. Some really nice stylistic selections spanning jazz, fusion, jazz blues, avant garde, funky jazz and straight-ahead jazz. It's one of my favorite collections in any genre.

John Scofield: maybe 'A Go-Go' or 'Uberjam.' Not what I'd call virtuoso jazz, but interesting stuff.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones: 'Greatest Hits of the 20th Century' is a good start. It's kinda pop-jazz, but very fun and very cool.

If you are not familiar with Jeff Beck's seminal fusion work then: 'Blow by Blow' and 'Wired'

From the hey day of fusion: 'Romantic Warrior' from Return to Forever (Chick Corea, Lenny White, Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ive been continually attracted to jazz music with just a cool, upbeat piano backed by a funky groovy bass and drum combo. i have no idea what kind of jazz this is considered. going on voodoo merman's suggestion, i found thelonious monk to fit into this mold, at least at a cursory listen.

ReplyQuote