Clear all

Jumbo Acoustic - General Advice sought

18 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Taylor 314 (which my playing level can't really justify...) and a Chinese 'Vintage'* Jumbo. I like them both, but since buying the Jumbo I kind of wish I'd bought a quality 'bigger sound' guitar than the 314. I've always liked the idea of belting out a sing-along tune and at the time I bought the 314 I just found dreadnoughts uncomfortable to hold and didn't really know what a Jumbo was.

Anyway, the guitar I keep looking at, based on seeing who has done what with it, is a Gibson SJ200. But at £2000 (so thats nearly $4000 in US money!) its not something I am about to rush out and buy. I can afford it if I really want it, but there are other options. After I bought the Taylor I tried a hand built guitar by a local luthier and it was gorgeous, so I could get him to build me a Jumbo for £1500.

So my question is, who has played a Gibson SJ200 and what did you think of it? And what about other guitars for 'beltig out a sing-along tune'? Unplugged is for me, no electronics required.

Over to you and thanks in advance.

P.S. How does the Epiphone 200 compare to the Gibson, is it only a tenth as good - its only a tenth the price!

*Vintage brand: http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageacoustic.html

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

My friend, the Gibby J-200 is one of the most loved and well known acoustics in the world. It is the acoustic of choice for many, many, professional musicians. If I was thinking of making a living playing music, I definitely wouldn't think twice about buying one. That is the only way that I could justify the cost.

If you are going to remain an ameture, I would advise you to get the Epiphone 200 and use the money you save for something else more important in your life. This is only my opinion though. I'm sure the Epi' isn't a bad guitar.

I should note that I have played neither of these guitars myself. But, I am very familiar with the J-200 and its popularity amongst professionals.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Theres a lot of territory between a Gibson and a similar Epiphone, why not take your time and check out the other manufaturers.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

There are a lot of good jumbos out there and you might find you don't have to shell out as much money as you would for a Gibson. In addition to Epiphone, you might take a look at Guild ( http://www.guildguitars.com/ ) or Avalon ( http://www.avalonguitars.com/ ). Avalon are from the same folks that make Lowden, and the ones I've seen and played have been terrific. Don't hesitate to take the "blind" test - have someone else play a selection of jumbo guitars while you don't watch which one is being played and just listen to the guitars in order to hear which one you like best. Chances are you might find yourself with a guitar that sounds better to you than the Gibson.

Also, you're smart in your thinking about electronics. Make sure you think along the same lines in terms of cutaways. Most people truly don't need them.

Good luck!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I have seen good reviews of Washburn Cumberland Jumbos and Alvarez Jumbos as well. So DO take a look at them.

As far as Gibson SJ-200 is concerned, it maybe the ultimate guitar you would ever own. But that is just history based (some famous chap played it) and the ridiculous overpricing of their guitars by Gibson.

If you really want to own one, then think about it this way. How many more years do you expect yourself to survive ? IF the number is < 50, then you may as well get your Gibson. You say you have the money. Then go and get that dream guitar for yourself. Most likely it will get you the sound and feel you are looking for.

Our forum admin, Nick, owns one IIRC. He may give you some small review of this guitar.

Some very lucky folks on this forum also have it for free. But that's just another story.

In a nutshell, whatever you get for yourself, just have fun with it and take care of the scratches. And by the way, if you don't like the Taylor 314, I would be more than happy to own it for free (maybe I will pay for the case). :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

:mrgreen:

Yeah, I've got an SJ-200 with a Fishman active pickup in it. It is just a beautiful sounding, playing (and smelling) guitar! But the asking price is pretty steep.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all, some excellent and astute comments.

Ricochet - why did you buy the Gibson, what other (acoustic) guitars do you have, what others did you try? Curious to hear how you justified it.

Rahul - I checked out your Soundclick pages. Both your singing and playing is superior to mine and getting to where you are is what I aspire to. As is the way with this dang guitar thing, when I get there I am sure I'll want to keep on going, but what can you do? As for you having my 314 for free, while your playing deserves it more than mine I am going to have to say no. It is without doubt my second favourite 'non-living' thing (first is my wedding ring) and I don't plan on parting with it while I am alive. I bought it when my wife told me she was pregnant with our daughter - I sold a shed load of things to fund it on the basis that I didn't know if I'd ever be able to afford it again - and the plan is to leave it to her when I snuff it!

However, we have had an extremely good couple of years financially and my wife keeps telling me its time to treat myself. I'm a bit of a tightwad really, I rarely buy things for myself and I think my wife thinks it bothers me. It doesn't. I ride a 10 year old bike to work each day, she keeps telling me to change that but I still love it (a Triumph T595 if anyones interested).

Anyway, back to guitars. I have around £2000 worth of bikes/bike parts in my garage that since I took up guitar I have lost interest in, so it would just be a case of selling them to fund my new thing. I also have savings, but as was pointed out by Voodoo, they are for 'more important' things in my life.

I have also never seen a Gibson J200 sell for less than £1200 on Ebay, so whilst £2000 seems a lot, its only £800 really and if I keep the guitar long enough (as is the plan with the Taylor) it might even go up in value.

Lastly - David/Causnorign - I will try loads, do a blind test and I'd never buy without trying (well, maybe from Nick I would...). I did this when I started out, I originally wanted a Yamaha DW15 but when I eventually got to try one it just wasn't for me.

Maybe this is all a waste of time, maybe I'll try the Gibson and hate it? Maybe I'll end up wanting a Collings - noooooo!

I daren't try either though, just in case...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Thank you all, some excellent and astute comments.

Ricochet - why did you buy the Gibson, what other (acoustic) guitars do you have, what others did you try? Curious to hear how you justified it.

IIRC, Ric won the J200 in a Gibby contest of some sort.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

you have answered your own question. you stated that you had a Taylor 314 that your "playing level did not justify", now you say you really want a $4000 Gibby? reality check needed here? isn't a 314 about 1/3 the cost of the Gibby?

Bro, this is the wrong place to come expecting someone to talk you out of buying a guitar.
if it feels right to you, buy it. all this nonsense about playing level is only relevent to your budget and your desire to become a better player or to pursue a dream reguardless of what other people may say.
life's too short man, i say go for it.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I didn't buy it, and couldn't have justified the price. I registered for Gibson's newsletter when the prize was a Pete Townshend Limited Edition SJ-200. They didn't even (to my knowledge) notify me I'd won. It just showed up on my doorstep one day.

But it sure is a nice guitar. I wouldn't send it back.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

More salient points.

Reality check - I have more than I need already, ergo no need to buy any more guitars. Sorted :D

But... getting back to the basic part of the question, lets say that all acoustic guitars in the world were $5 - which would you choose for belting out a song to sing along to?

And for those that have tried/owned a Gibson SJ200*, is it that lovely?

*is there a difference between a j200 and an SJ200?

P.S. I often get stuck between "no point in having a £2000 guitar if you only have £20 fingers" and "if you have an instrument you truly love you are bound to want to pick it up and play it more often" and "I have £20 fingers now, but I'll have £2000 fingers in 20 years, so why wait :lol: "

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If money isn't a concern and if you have the money for the Gibson, then you're going to have your hands full of guitars for a while. There are no end to some of the higher quality guitars out there that you can purchase for less than the price of the Gibson, including all sorts of specialized luthiers who will make a guitar for you and your specifications for less that $4,000 US.

I know I'd mentioned Avalon before, but with your price range, go straight to checking out the Lowdens. Guarantee your ears will think you've gone to heaven.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

But... getting back to the basic part of the question, lets say that all acoustic guitars in the world were $5 - which would you choose for belting out a song to sing along to?

And for those that have tried/owned a Gibson SJ200*, is it that lovely?

Yes and yes.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Rahul - I checked out your Soundclick pages. Both your singing and playing is superior to mine and getting to where you are is what I aspire to. As is the way with this dang guitar thing, when I get there I am sure I'll want to keep on going, but what can you do? As for you having my 314 for free, while your playing deserves it more than mine I am going to have to say no. It is without doubt my second favourite 'non-living' thing (first is my wedding ring) and I don't plan on parting with it while I am alive. I bought it when my wife told me she was pregnant with our daughter - I sold a shed load of things to fund it on the basis that I didn't know if I'd ever be able to afford it again - and the plan is to leave it to her when I snuff it!

Rich, I never wanted your guitar for free. It was just a kidding comment. But thanks for sharing so much with us. :)

And thanks for checking out my page.

Infact, to own a SJ200 someday is my dream also.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Right, I've listed some (bike) stuff on Ebay to fund a new gutar:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/catherine4926

Amazing what you can find to sell when motivated enough!

Watch this space for updates on guitar purchases....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2