Clear all

jumbo acoustics

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@simonsez)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just wanted to get peoples opinions on these brands and or models of jumbo acoustics as i plan on getting one in the near future.

Here a few of models that i liked the price and looks that i found on ebay for illustrative purposes.

Yamaha Acoustic Guitar Jumbo CJ838SII

Taylor 615 Jumbo acoustic

EPIPHONE EJ200

Fender SJ64S Jumbo Acoustic

Washburn J52SW Timbercraft Jumbo Acoustic

GUILD GAD-JF30 JUMBO ACOUSTIC

i also was impressed by the tacoma line a few years back as well. Feel free to give opinions and experiences with other makers as well.

thanks

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I tried a few of those models or the ones near $1000 and purchased the Takamine EG523SC
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EG523SC-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516302

i liked it so much that i bought the 12 string version as well later.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@simonsez)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the reply, they do look nice.

I am planning on spending no more than 700ish :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I am planning on spending no more than 700ish :wink:

Make sure that you look at the Seagulls. If you've got ~$700 definitely have a look at the Maritime series (replaces the older M6 line). They appear to be around $500 so with a hardshell case and maybe an electric pickup (if you want that) you could easily get it under your budget.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Feel free to give opinions and experiences with other makers as well.
I like the sound, feel, looks, and smell of Gibson's SJ-200 very well. (Yeah, it smells nice!)

Its price tag isn't so attractive, of course.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@simonsez)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Feel free to give opinions and experiences with other makers as well.
I like the sound, feel, looks, and smell of Gibson's SJ-200 very well. (Yeah, it smells nice!)

Its price tag isn't so attractive, of course.

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@poorpetebest)
Trusted Member

I would suggest an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ series if you can find one. I picked one up about two years ago and it is easily my favorite guitar. It's a slope shouldered jumbo that sounds and looks very much like an old Gibson J45. Definitely check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@simonsez)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

what do you think of this? http://cgi.ebay.com/new-w-warranty-Washburn-J28SDL-Jumbo-acoustic_W0QQitemZ130041402178QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33032QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

according to the washburn forum this is also a well liked model.

how does the chinese made acoustics fare now? i have heard that for some name brands (washburn, oscar schmidt ....) they do pretty well over there.

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member

I bought a Guild GAD-JF30 almost two years ago, and I love it! I think I paid $799 for it, but I also think I've heard others have paid less. To me, for the money, this is an amazing guitar. The construction is flawless, and the Antique Burst finish is beautiful. Now its not a $3000 Gibson, but it is what it is, a great guitar for the money. Mine gets lots of love. I'm not a professional musician or a guitar reviewer, and I haven't played any of the others you mentioned, but I'm sure they are nice too. It is made in China, but there are lots of very very good guitars coming from China. As far as I know, mine doesn't have any lead paint on it. At least play one. Sounds like its in your price range.

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

I believe that the Washburn is the only one with solid back and sides. This is a real plus. The problem with Washburn is there are serious production problems and I am not even sure the J52 is in production anymore, so you can bet that one of these guitars has been sitting around in a warehouse for while. Still, I have owned several Washburn's and I have been very happy with the sound and playability. The necks on these play like butter.
Second, I too love the masterbuilts, but the AJ500 is actually a dreadnought size guitar with sloped shoulders. I am not sure why they designated it as a jumbo when there is nothing jumbo about it.

Play them. Even if you're going to order it on-line, go out and play them first if you can..

ReplyQuote
(@simonsez)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i have a HB-35 and i am continually impressed with my japanese washburn. I havent heard of the production issues with the washburns but that j28 cumberland is sure pretty! I plan on going to a store and try out a few of the models i have listed but my luck i end up going to a few stores that have very little selection. I just want to get something nice that i will want to hang on too :mrgreen:

an added question: if (and a big IF ) i were to walk in a store and find these models for around the same $ would you pick the MIA taylor over the MIC models??????

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member

I believe that the Washburn is the only one with solid back and sides.

The GAD JF-30 is all solid wood construction too.

-B

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

solid woods rule in any case from my stand point.

ReplyQuote