Just In, From A Scottish Friend...

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Dunno what section this "fits" in, but this seems like a catch-all. :D

This is me a couple of hours ago, having just opened a package from Scotland and found a drumhead from The Eagles' recent tour, autographed by Joe Walsh and with one of his picks attached. My Scottish friends' son has been working as a guitar tech for Joe, and he and his mom got backstage during a show in Scotland, got a pic or two and got this drumhead signed for me.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

verrrry kewl

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Way Cool!! Really liked Joe on the Crossroasds DVD. Joe doesn't wear a tie though (just kidding) maybe some yellow sneakers and a Tam would be more fitting.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, that's me, just in from work.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Ricochet

That is cool, I am a huge fan of Joe Walsh. Nobody has ever captured that awesome rhythm guitar tone he had back in the 70s on songs like Funk 49 and Walk Away.

I always thought Joe was a pretty good singer too, that is until I heard him sing the Star Spangled Banner at the World Series in Cleveland about 10 years ago. Boy, it was pretty awful, but you gotta love Joe and his big smile. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Cool :!: 8) OK Joe Walsh trivia question. What 1971 movie did Joe walsh appear in? Hint, the rest of the James Gang was in it too.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You look impressive Ric.

And the organ behind you is amazing !

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Are you going to take it in and have it framed? I'm picturing it in a shadow boxy thing with a smaller interior box in one of the corners to mount the pick. Gotta take care of a treasure like that! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Cool :!: 8) OK Joe Walsh trivia question. What 1971 movie did Joe walsh appear in? Hint, the rest of the James Gang was in it too.
Got a feeling it was a western? - but not being into that particular genre I wouldn't know any more than that...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Dunno about the movie, but I'll take a wild guess: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Yeah, EB, I like the shadowbox idea. I'll have to frame it.

Thanks, Rahul! The organ's my baby, too. She's a 1967 Hammond H-182, named Christine. The story behind that is that I rescued her from an old, crumbling house in Ohio that had belonged to a strange hermit who never talked to his neighbors. He was mysteriously murdered, and the next door neighbor bought the house to bulldoze it. Inside, he found three organs. This was the only one I was interested in, the only one containing tonewheels and tubes. I found her covered in thick dust, with a huge mouse nest made of roof insulation inside. Got her home and carefully cleaned the dirt off, polished her cabinet with furniture polish, cleaned out all of the mouse nest that I could, oiled the tone generator, and fired her up. To my surprise, the whole front suddenly lit up (kinda like the headlights of "Christine" the car in the movie), and at first she made awful noises and most of the features didn't work. I talked nicely to her and let her run, and one by one, most of the problems fixed themselves. (I ended up only replacing a few electrolytic capacitors and still need to replace one transistor on the "Harp Sustain" board. All 22 vacuum tubes are in good order.) My wife swore she heard her start up and play when I wasn't around. She didn't like the name, and wanted me to change it! She's always pointedly nice to Christine and decorates her with candlesticks, flowers and such.
:lol:

The H-100 and 300 series were the flagships of the Hammond line in the mid to late '60s, but nowadays are pretty much forgotten in the B-3 mania. Lots of 'em still get given or thrown away. They are very complex to work on, due to all the extra features they added on to compete with all-electronic organs from other makers. The core of it's still the Hammond tonewheel tone generator, with steel wheels with rippled edges spinning past magnetic pickups much like guitar pickups, each wheel's rotational speed and number of "teeth" producing a particular frequency, the drawbars controlling which frequencies get mixed together as "harmonics" of the note being played to make the wide variety of tones it can produce. I think of this one as sort of like the last steam locomotives, with lots of new technological gadgets hung onto the last evolution of the older technology. (There was actually one more final tonewheel series, with all solid state electronics. The H-100s were hybrid tube and transistor.) I just got the outboard Hammond Series 10 tone cabinet to go with mine. That set together would've cost about $4400 in 1967, which would've bought a nice new Corvette!
:shock:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

What a story !

And here's to you Mrs. Organson...Ric loves you more than you will know :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Pretty cool!! 8) :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Nice Ric. Just thinking about Joe -- Heard Time Out on the radio today.

Tim's trivia ans: Zachariah

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

!

Lucky you! Congrats friend.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Tim's trivia ans: Zachariah

Correct, one of the worst movies ever made, unless you where on a mind altering drug while watching. And it was still pretty bad then. Besides the James Gang, Country Joe and the Fish and several other musicians from various genres where in it. A very Young Don Johnson of Miami Vise fame was one of the stars. It was billed as the "First Electric Western" there never was a second. :shock:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2