Clear all

Keeping that New look

18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I know some strat lovers cant wait to break in there new usa buddy, but I on the other hand sort of want to keep my 2 thousand dollar instrument looking as it did new. Any tips on how to keep the gloss finish on the fretboard/back of the neck??

Im already quite the guru on paint care/detailing, and dont need any help on that but is there any ideas on what to do other then just a quick wipe down to help keep that glossy maple neck for years to come? Thanks guys.

-MM

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I guess if you want to pamper it, keep it in a case a lot, so light, temperature, and humidity have a lesser effect.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Try not playing it as much as possible, otherwise it may end up looking like Yngwie's guitar:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is a nice thought to keep our new guitars pristine.
it ain't gonna happen....sorry.
when my tele fell over I almost wept. the Highway 1 finish is so thin to begin with. now I have a scratched arc on the back.
to keep wear at bay:
take off your belt.
get a great guitar stand.
case the guitar for storage and transportation (don't walk down stairs un cased. a fellow formite slipped and dented his Fender).
never lean the guitar.
clean rag is your friend. wipe everything before casing. no fingerprints should be left. so hold the guitar with the rag when putting it away. really.
never lend the guitar.

good luck.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

clean rag is your friend. wipe everything before casing. no fingerprints should be left. so hold the guitar with the rag when putting it away. really.

good luck.

this is especially important when STEALING a guitar :lol:

EVEN MORE SO....if using your ax to bludgeon the wife to death 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

to keep wear at bay:
take off your belt.
May be a good idea to wear suspenders (braces), then. Wouldn't want the trousers to go to the ankles unexpectedly while playing.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

to keep wear at bay:
take off your belt.
May be a good idea to wear suspenders (braces), then. Wouldn't want the trousers to go to the ankles unexpectedly while playing.

This made me laugh out loud, mainly because trousers is a much funnier word than pants.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Leave it in the case and don't play it!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Dented the headstock on my LP the other day. I'm just now starting to get over it. :cry: Twas a very emotional thing! Then I noticed small on the back. I suppose from my belt. I get crazy when those things happen. But like everyone said, only way to keep it perfect is not to play and that aint an option for me!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Leave it in the case and don't play it!

This is the only way. Same with cars - if you wanna keep 'em brand new, then don't drive anywhere. Better still leave them in the showroom.

Somebody once told us (on a forum) that when his Dad bought a new car he'd grab the key and use it to make a tiny scratch on it somewhere - like under a wheel arch. Then he'd say something like "There, it's done. First scratch, now I can relax and get on with enjoying driving it". Wise man.

I take good care of all my gear but draw the line at getting anal about the wear when it does occur. My most expensive and pampered guitar now has a couple of small dents and scratches, and it just makes it look appropriately used and worn in. I save the angst for structurally serious damage on things now.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi again,

There is another way of course. Buy one for playing and one for gloating. Keep the 'good twin' under the bed in a case (you can even call it an 'investment'), and just play the 'evil twin'.

You can buy a variety of oils, creams, polishes etc but I've never been convinced that they do anything but gunk up your instrument. I only ever use a soft clean cloth to wipe guitars down, and have always been satisfied with whatever finish came with the guitar in the first place.

But it's down to personal reference really. When I bought my first new car they steered me into an office where one of the staff tried to talk me into buying accessories for the car, including a range of special waxes and general 'protections' for the paint finish. She rabbited on for a few minutes about all the things this goop would protect the paint from. So I said "Are you telling me that this car has inferior paint that won't handle normal local conditions without additional help?" "Oh NO!" she said, "it's all very good quality". "Good" said I "Then I won't be needing to buy any after-market gunk thanks" and that was the end of that conversation.

5 years later the paint still looks fantastic, and all I do is wash the thing very occasionally. But some folks just love fidlding with their cars, waxing them, and generally fussing over them. Ditto for guitars. I think it's all un-necessary, but I also don't think that necessity is the only issue. If it gives people pleasure to fiddle with their gear in that way, then that's fine too. Whatever floats your boat.... :)

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I don't mind the normal wear on my guitars. I am really pleased and almost smug because the neck on my strat is starting to look worn. there are darker areas between the frets I use alot. the frets are getting dished by the strings. the guitar's upper bout finish is worn through where I play my rhythm strokes. this kind of 'damage' is so cool.

the 'damage' I hate is when I mess up; leaning/falling, bumping a doorway, dents, dings scratches. doofus marks. doh.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I don't mind the normal wear on my guitars. I am really pleased and almost smug because the neck on my strat is starting to look worn. there are darker areas between the frets I use alot. the frets are getting dished by the strings. the guitar's upper bout finish is worn through where I play my rhythm strokes. this kind of 'damage' is so cool.

the 'damage' I hate is when I mess up; leaning/falling, bumping a doorway, dents, dings scratches. doofus marks. doh.

I think you said all right there. The normal wear is like a badge of honour. Things you can be proud of. The ding I got on my headstock was a result of a drop. That one hurt. I tend to think of RParker's sig when it comes to this topic. In the end, you want to cross the finish line torn, battered and bruised, screaming...YAAAAhooooo, let's do that again! Having a guitar for 35 years and not having 1 scratch on it really paints another picture, doesn't it?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2