Clear all

Keyboard question

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I know this is a guitar forums, and songwriting forum, but I had just won a Yamaha 61 Key keyboard that has the pc interface and like 102 songs to learn or something to that effect, not really sure about all that. But I was wondering if anyone knew of any great sites like this one for beginner keyboardists, or is it okay to post here about this as well. I've never touched a keyboard (well, except for the typing kind :roll: ) and it will be interesting to see how easy/difficult it is to transfer knowledge of music with the guitar to the keyboard.

Thanks!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I never found a proper piano site like GN is for guitars. If you have any questions drop me a PM and I'll try to help. Good luck winning it!

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

HI Joe, congratulations on winning the keyboard. You might want to google "keyboard for dummies" (no inference intended here). They have a lot of books for beginners, and a basic knowledge can do nothing but help.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@chrisc)
Eminent Member

But I was wondering if anyone knew of any great sites like this one for beginner keyboardists, or is it okay to post here about this as well.

I tried out playpianotoday.com/blues, pretty much because that's the top hit on Google when you search for "blues paino." The lessons are pretty standard for simple play-blues-in-C-real-quick kind of stuff. But I found it difficult to find anything online that was more advanced. You would think there's a site like GN out there for keyboards -- perhaps this means there's a market for pianonoise.com??? :D

I picked up the following book a while back, but never got completely through it. It's written with guitarists in mind, believe it or not -- that philosophy of play a new instrument to stir up the creative juices... "How to Write Songs on Keyboards" by Rikky Rooksby.

Good luck in the search. If you do find something good, please post!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help guys!

I'll try out a keyboard for dummies book, I do like they way they present the information in them. I get the keyboard on Wednesday, so I'll get to play around with it later this week and see what the heck it can do.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Joe!

I used this site: http://www.music-scores.com/

It is not keyboard specific but it has many free classical partitures. I played basically classical pieces on piano and a friend was who taught me. We used theory and piano books that he already used at the conservatory.

And I guess our "Chris C" also posted some sites on piano. I don't know if he is reading currently the forums. Try to search in his posts, sorry, I don't remember it. :?

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Once you learn how to create chords on the piano, you'll find that many of the lessons here will translate. You can't bend the strings, but otherwise, there are similarities similarities to almost everything. Plus you'll find that playing an Eb chord is much easier on the piano. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Joe,

Congratulations on scoring a keyboard! :mrgreen:

As Nuno mentioned (impressive memory!) I've been posting at a piano forum for a while. It's called Pianoworld.

Pianoworld forums

The Adult Beginner forum is good for general questions, and there are also OK ones for Non classical and for synths etc. But I'd advise staying well clear of the Pianist Forum, and the Teacher's forum too (the latter being mostly for teachers to talk to each other). Some of the piano players are seriously into classical music, traditional teaching methods etc, and can get pretty snooty about us digital keyboard types. There's a centuries old tradition of piano pedagogy, with a long established repertoire, strict standards, etc so some of them can get pretty anal about it all. Quite unnecessary really, as you can have fun at a keyboard, and play a lot of songs, with just three chords in one hand and 7 notes in the other. And learning 3 chords on piano is easier than on guitar. Of course you can then spend an entire lifetime getting good enough to play really complex music well, but that's not essential. :)

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi again,

As with any instrument, you'll get told that you can develop 'bad habits' if you don't have lessons or follow some kind of guidance. There is probably some truth in this, so I asked in the fussiest forum just what these 'Bad Habits' are.

Bad Habits on Piano?

And, as with guitar, the number one priority is simply to keep at it, and not lose your motivation. So I asked what people did when they "Hit the Wall" and start to lose enthusiasm. Some of the suggestions on this list were taken from similar discussions here at GN.

When You Hit the Wall

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chrisc)
Eminent Member

Pianoworld forums

I've been looking for something like this! Good show, Chris C!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Great!!! Thank you very much Chris C, I'll check all this out!

ReplyQuote