Clear all

Keyboard Suggestions?

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone. I am looking to buy a digital piano/keyboard for my home studio for christmas of this year. I have about 5-600$ to spend on one, and I have a few requirements but don't really know any good ones to choose from. If you guys can just take a look at my requirements, and give me a few options of the best keyboard under 600$.. that would be great.

Must have:

88 Full Size Keys
Sustain (pedal or effect)
Decent On-board speakers
Some type of Audio Out port so I can record the keyboard without using mics
Heavy Duty/Well Solid Built

and the more effects, and fun things to play around with would be cool too but the main focus is to just find a great keyboard, under 600$, 88 keys, sustain, on-board speakers, audio-out, and well built.

Thank you guys

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

maybe weighted key action should on your list? wouldn't consider any full size keyboard great without this.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Definitely weighted key, and I would also look for touch sensitive keys as well.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Casio-CDP100-88-Note-Weighted-Hammer-Action-Digital-Piano?sku=706083

Should be good enough to start with. And you will be left with 200$ which you can use on lessons or books.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

As above, weighted keys are important. If you are looking for a "real" piano with a volume control, focus on the feel of the keys and the main piano voice, and ignore the 99 other features. Weighted keys are like the action on your guitar, if they are not right, you can still play, but you'll be annoyed.

I like Korg, dislike Yamaha, and own a Samick, which makes everything under $1000.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I just tried a bunch at Guitar Center and I'm planning to by the Yamaha P-85. ($599) The piano sounds are pretty good, but my main concern was how it felt and it had the best feel of anything under $1000. The onboard speakers sound OK.

It has an audio out but I think it's a headphone size, which you could send to a computer or use an adapter if you need to connect with any "pro" equipment.

You'll need a separate sustain pedal, but they sell a 3-pedal add-on which is nice if you're a real pianist...

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Oh yeah sorry guys, weighted keys are a MUST I forgot thank you for reminding me.

Hmm, thanks for the P-85 and the Casio guys, I'll give them some good re-search. If anyone else comes up with good ideas for something around 600$, let me know.

Thanks!

Josh

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I personally prefer graded/scaled keys over weighted keys, make sure you try both in the store. For the rest: worry about feel, you can always change the sounds through sample libraries.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok guys. Ive found 3 more. The reviews on MF are kind of skeptical, but let me know your guys' opinions on these.

1. Williams Encore Digital Piano - http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Williams-Encore-88-Key-Digital-Piano?sku=700311

2. Casio PX-320 http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Casio-PX320-88Key-Digital-Keyboard?sku=703190

3. Yamaha YPG-625 http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-YPG625-88Key-Weighted-Portable-Grand-Keyboard?sku=707462

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The Casio is the big brother of my PX110. 128 note poly is absurd, that'll leave around 32 notes you can play simultanously with reverb and stereo samples enabled. :shock: It really depends on what extra features you need, like build-in rhythms, other instruments etc.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well I dont exactly need to get those extra features. I am mainly looking for a really solid, quality digital piano with 88 keys, and maybe a few effects here n there. Nothing too crazy, I just want to buy something that will be a proud smile everytime I see it.

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

So, what did you end up getting?

Just curious as we have just bought a Yamaha CLP-320, its a christmas present to me, my wife and our daughter, from me, my wife and our daughter...

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Actually wouldn't be getting it til' christmas either. However, I have aquired a deep lust for a new guitar! :D I doubt I'll be going through with the keyboard this year, but I dont know.

ReplyQuote